Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,164
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,189

Point and Counterpoint

Summary:

Pairings: Harry/Draco, Ron/Hermione, and others
Genre: Mild Slash
Rating: PG
Summary: Life goes on, no matter how happy or sad circumstances become.
Spoilers: all books, because I'm too lazy to put titles, or abbreviations.
Disclaimer: I own nothing, except the ideas postulated herein. The characters belong to the rich lady in England.

Work Text:

Point and Counterpoint
by Leianora

 

Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter shocked and surprised the entire wizarding world when they announced that they were going to wed each other at the end of July. When asked by the Daily Prophet how their relationship came to be, they would only say that sometimes hatred did lead to love, and anyone who thought differently had only to look at them. The reporter added that, in his opinion, at least, these two people did indeed seem to love each other very much. Thousands of witches and not a few wizards wept when they realized that two of the most eligible bachelors of their time were no longer available. Still, the reception afterwards was a success, as was the wedding.

*** *** *** ***

Severus Snape and Minerva McGonagall buried their longtime friend and mentor Albus Dumbledore three days before the wedding, and exactly six weeks after Harry Potter defeated Voldemort once and for all. Neither of them wept, but the emotions they felt were obvious to those who knew them well. The service was small, as per Albus's request. When asked why this was so, Snape would only say that Albus only wanted people to live, not mourn the dead. Hogwarts was reopened after a week of official mourning, and McGonagall was made Headmistress. Severus Snape became Deputy Headmaster, and Remus Lupin was allowed to return as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Potions was taken over by Susan Bones, Hermione Granger Weasley took Charms, and Ron, her husband, took over Madam Hooch's position. Albus Dumbledore's ghost haunted the school, but it wasn't the same as having him around in the flesh. Many students saw him, and were comforted by his presence; still, Albus Dumbledore was missed by many.

*** *** *** ***

Ron came to Harry and Draco's flat three months later crying. When asked what was wrong, he could barely get it out. Harry, concerned for his longtime friend, invited him inside and gave him a drink. After drinking almost half the glass of Augdin's finest, Weasley made the announcement that came as no surprise to anyone, but which was delightful nevertheless. Hermione, his wife of seven months, was pregnant. They began speculating on names right away, and Draco just sat and watched his husband's happiness and that of his friend. He was happy for them, but since he didn't have nearly as much history as Ron and Harry shared, he was content to remain in the background, inserting occasional comments or suggestions and smiling. This was enough for him.

*** *** *** ***

Gilderoy Lockhart went to sleep one night several weeks later in his room at St. Mungo's and did not wake up again. When asked how this could have happened, one of the healers designated to look after the man simply said that it was his time, and that nothing they could have done would have brought him back. This same healer was brought under further suspicion when another of his patients, one Dolores Umbrage, killed herself by hanging herself from the top of her bedroom closet. While many mourned, the combined funeral for the two patients was hardly as grand as the significant event that Dumbledore's funeral had been. It was determined that both Umbrage and Lockhart were better off now, because they were free of the encumbrance of their ailing bodies. The head of St. Mungo's stated that both Umbrage and Lockhart's will to keep going had simply exhausted itself, and no more was said about it, much to everyone's relief. The healer went back to work, content that he'd done nothing wrong.

*** *** *** ***

When Pansy and Greg Goyle asked Draco and Harry to be godparents to their daughter Corena who was born just after Hermione's son Arthur, Harry felt elated, yet nervous at the same time. He joked with his husband that he hoped that their friends would be able to find other people to fill this role soon, because they couldn't be godparents to all of the children of wizarding England, no matter how much people begged. Yet they were honored by the very request, and decided to agree, even though they were already godparents to Ron and Hermione's son. The ceremony was much more elaborate than Hermione's had been, but no one minded. Corena's birth had been very hard for Pansy, and they would not be having any more children.

*** *** *** ***

Former Minister Cornelius Fudge was sent to Azkaban for life after a six-month-long trial four days after Pansy and Greg celebrated their daughter's official welcome into the wizarding world. He was found guilty on all charges. Consorting with the enemy, willful neglect while in office, dereliction of duty, and above all, accepting funds from The Dark Lord's people to keep his office were but a few of the charges listed. No one wept to see him go. In fact, one spectator was heard to say that he wished that the Dementors were still around. Being punished in such a way would be just what Fudge deserved. Harry Potter did not attend the sentencing hearing. Once it was determined that Fudge was guilty, he and his husband flatly told the Daily Prophet that they didn't care what the wizarding world decided to do with the man, as long as he was never allowed to hold a position of power again. Harry said that he hoped that none of the future ministers would be as corrupt and obviously prejudiced as Fudge had been.

*** *** *** ***

When Colin Creevey and his wife Luna took over the management of the Daily Prophet, many older editors and staff members shook their heads and lamented that the end of the Prophet was near. This was hardly the case, however. Suddenly, Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy were agreeing to interviews, and the editors began to realize that this was because they were very good friends with the owners. Thus, the public got to read juicy details about Harry and Draco's lives. When they opened an orphanage for war orphans, especially Muggle born ones, everyone knew about it. When they adopted three of these orphans, people smiled and agreed that it was a wonderful gesture made by two very interesting and genuinely nice people. When they started a scholarship fund for those who could not afford to go to Hogwarts, the newly appointed Minister of Magic, Arthur Weasley, was ecstatic. The Prophet reported all of these things, and many more, because life went on after Voldemort died. People did not forget that darkness existed, and that they must always be on the lookout for it, lest it take them by surprise again, but they also lived, because to not do so would have given the dark side the victory, and no one wanted to do that. It would have tarnished the memories of those who had died fighting to make this victory possible. So, people lived on, and life was good.

 

*** *** *** ***

 

So, what did you all think? Was the ending too corny? I do hope you enjoyed it, even a little. :-)