Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-07-03
Words:
18,476
Chapters:
8/8
Kudos:
16
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
3,351

Don't Say Goodbye

Summary:

Even in the Buffyverse someone dying affects everyone who knew the victim - their reactions to the death are as varied as the characters themselves. Of course for some, death can bring a reunion.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Won't Be Long Now

Chapter Text

Pairing: Wes/Lilah

Rating: FRT (or at least I'm pretending it is)

Disclaimer: Joss owns them. He doesn't deserve them but he owns them. I think he just got himself assigned to the same hell I reserve for Brannon Braga and Rick Berman.

Archive: Wherever anyone wants to put it - just tell me so I can visit it and whimper occasionally.

**

I saw this coming.

Really I did.

And though no one would believe me, I really hoped it wouldn't.

Don't get me wrong... I'm no big fan of Twiggy or the Vampire, but I have a soft spot for a certain ex-Watcher who tried to get me out of my contract. Not that I wanted him to or anything, but you know it's kind of sweet in a do-gooder sort of way.

Seeing it coming is why for the last few centuries of time down here - which only equates to a few months in LA - I've been brokering deals, arguing that we should have proprietary rights even without the contract, and pulling in every favor I can for one purpose.

You'd think someone who wouldn't sign his soul over would get some leeway, would get a little understanding. That even at his darkest, he's always done what he had to do, always done what he thought was the right thing - although sometimes in the wrong way, would carry some weight.

Nope.

The powers aren't even looking at the raw deal they handed him. How many lemons exactly did they hand him before he finally ran out of sugar and couldn't make lemonade anymore?

The fact is the closest thing to real love he's ever had is me. I don't count Twiggy - a week and a half of having the woman you've dreamt of love you back to loose her isn't love, its torture. I had parents who loved me, a good life, even relationships and lovers before Wesley; I've got no excuse for how I turned out. Him, with his parents and the lousy breaks he's been handed, it's a wonder he didn't lose it way before when he did.

And there's no one going to try to bring him back either - even if that little Witch from Sunnydale would do something like that again, they wouldn't care enough to do it for Wesley - not with them playing holier than thou just because Angel and little band took over Wolfram and Hart. They'd probably think he went where he should have.

Hell, when it depresses me thinking about his funeral, you have to know it's bad. Wesley took care of me himself and since he's the only person I gave a damn about, I feel pretty good about that. Wes will be lucky if one of the vampires show up to pay their respects.

You know what they say; the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I can't save him - he's been consigned to hell. For all of the 'evil' he's perpetrated. Even if I could I don't know that I would change that. Not like I'd get anything out of it.

I did, however, do what I'd set out to do - get him assigned to our little corner of hell. He wasn't at first, he was all set for a hell of his own making but I figure he's better off here, where we get some perks, and it's not all torture.

Not that I expect him to thank me.

So now I'm waiting for what I've been expecting to happen. It won't be long now and we'll see each other again.

Finis.