Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,039
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
1,313

Mike's Big Decision

Summary:

Mike Stoker has second thoughts about leaving his friends at Station 51 to become a Captain. Hanky Alert.

Work Text:

Mike's Big Decision
by Robin R. Neher

Today was a sad day for the Engineer of 51's A-shift. As he dressed. Mike Stoker thought of all the good times he'd had with his buddies at station fifty-one. Today was his last shift as an Engineer at station fifty-one, having decided, after passing his Captain's test, to take the plunge and move on to a new challenge, that of being a Captain.

Mike was ready to advance his career, but he was nowhere near ready to say good-bye to his friends at fifty-one's.

This shift is going to be harder then any before. Mike thought as he combed his brown hair. When I leave the station after shift, it will be for the last time.

________________________________________

Meanwhile, at station 51, Captain Stanley and the others were having coffee.

"Now, remember, Guys, we promised Mike no special attention. He wants this to be just like any other shift." Hank reminded them. "Try and keep the tears to a minimum, huh?"

"Cap, you can't ask us not to be sad." Johnny replied. "This day is gonna be hard for us all Mike has been here for six years."

"Johnny, you know how shy Mike is. He doesn't want any big deal made of his leaving." Roy DeSoto put in. "He doesn't want to be the center of attention and he doesn't want a going away
party."

"Are we just supposed to pretend that Mike isn't leaving?" Chet Kelly asked.

"For his sake, yes." Hank replied. "He has told me his wishes, and we will abide by them, understood?"

"Yeah, Cap." Johnny replied, dejectedly.

"He's here!" Came the voice of Marco Lopez from the apparatus bay.

"Okay, Guys, remember, this is just another shift." Hank reminded the crew. "Business as usual."

"Morning, Guys." Mike Stoker quietly greeted his station mates as he entered the kitchen.

"Mike." Cap greeted him. "How are you?"

"Okay, I guess." Mike answered. "Trying not to be sad."

"Mike, this is a sad day for us all, Pal." Agreed Hank.

"Cap, I told you, no special attention." Mike said.

"I know, Pal." Hank soothed. "You won't get any. It's business as usual here, right?"

"Right." The others agreed.

"Roll call in five minutes." Cap ordered. "Stoker, my office."

Mike nodded and followed his Captain. Once the door was shut, Hank began.

"Mike, are you sure this is want you want?" Cap asked.

"Cap, I'm not sure of anything right now." Mike admitted. "I'm not even sure I have what it takes to be a Captain."

"Then why are you taking the promotion?" Hank asked.

"Cap, I do have to move on at some point." Mike quietly answered.

"Mike, no one says it has to be now." Hank said. "Mike, going from Engineer to Captain is not a step that should be taken lightly. Once you pin on those bars, there's no going back. If you do, chances are you will die on the list, even if you pass the test again."

"Cap, if I don't do this now, there may not be another opening for up to two years!" Mike worried.

"Mike, I don't want to discourage you, but I really think that you should really think this over." Cap told the Engineer. "Talk it over with your wife. Weigh all the pros and cons before you decide."

"Okay, Cap." Mike replied. "What do we tell the guys though?"

"Nothing." Cap replied. "I don't want them pressuring you."

The next morning, Mike got off duty and made his way home. His wife of one year, Leigh, greeted him with a kiss.

"How was your shift, Hon?" The short, brunette lady asked as Mike sat down at the kitchen table.

"Honey, I'm having second thoughts about my promotion." Mike softly replied.

"Talk to me. Tell me your fears." Leigh smiled as she sat a plate of eggs and bacon in front of her husband, then sat down across from him.

"Honey, do you know what being a fire Captain entails?" Mike asked. "It means that I will be entrusted with a crew of two to six men. These men will look to me to make the right decisions and choices. They will trust me with their safety."

"Isn't that a Captain's job?" Leigh asked.

"Yeah, but a Captain also must be able to at least sound like he knows what he's doing." Mike replied.

"Mike, Honey, you've been an Engineer for six years. The whole purpose of being an Engineer was to prepare you for command." Leigh gently reminded her husband. "Honey, you've gotten over the roughest part by passing the Captain's test. Now, you must decide whether or not you're serious about this promotion. Whatever you decide, I will support you, but I can't decide this for you, neither can Hank, the Chief or anyone else. The decision must be yours and yours alone. You must look
deep within yourself to make this choice."

"When and if I become a Captain, I won't get my own station right away. I'll start out filling in for sick or vacationing Captains." Mike quietly told his wife. "I will only get a station after I gain seniority."

"Good." Leigh nodded. "By doing relief work first, you'll gradually gain experience and confidence. Honey, why don't you go to headquarters and talk with Chief McConnikee about this? If you want, I'm sure he'll give you an assignment as Engineer at another station while you think things over."

"I guess I can't expect station fifty-one to wait for me to make up my mind." Mike sighed. "Why make this hard on them too?"

"They'll do fine with whoever your replacement is." Leigh assured her husband. "Honey, life is about growing and changing. Nothing can stay the same forever. I know you loved the guys, but now, it's time to embark on a new adventure with new friends. Now, eat your breakfast before it gets cold."

"Yes, Dear." Mike teased, digging into his eggs and bacon.


Only the beginning.