Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
481
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,613

Alone 2: Hurt

Summary:

An add on to my previous fic which was Alone.

Work Text:

Hurt
by NuWoman_1
Nuwoman_1@yahoo.com



Warrick Brown sat in his SUV, listening as Julie London's `Cry Me A River' was replaced by Timi Yuro's `Hurt'. The compilation album, a present from a friend, suited his mood perfectly.

He had been sitting outside the building for the last 40 minutes, trying to build up the courage to go in and start his first shift back on the job since he had split with Gil.....No, there was no more Gil, only Grissom! If this was going to work, if he was going to keep his sanity, that was all there could be.

He blew out a breath, calling himself all kinds of fool for not having extended his leave by another week or more. Two weeks had not been enough to get his shit together - not nearly enough - but, to use a cliché, he had to get back in the saddle. Hiding out was not his thing. He and Gil...No Grissom were over! It was time to deal. It was like taking a hit on 17, when another player was showing 18 - he had no choice. Have to make the play.

With that thought in mind, he killed the engine and stepped out of the car.

Making his way over to the entrance, he prayed everyone would just be cool. This wasn't something he wanted to talk about, just something he needed to get through.

He had tunnel vision as he made his way down the hallway, heading for the locker room. He had no interest in making conversation with anyone..that would come later when he was more in control.

His heart pounded as he passed Grissom's office. The door stood ajar, and he prayed he could make it by unnoticed if Grissom was there.

No such luck. As he passed the threshold the door opened fully.

"Warrick?!" Grissom's voice sounded hopeful, pleased, even as it questioned gently.

Damn! It took a moment for him to remember to breathe again, took even longer for him to turn and face the man that voice belonged to, but he did. Putting on his poker face and steeling his heart, he turned to face his boss.

He allowed himself one glance, one look that told him that last two weeks had been as painful for Grissom as they had been for him. He didn't let that sway him.

"Grissom. I just need to stow a couple things in my locker - everyone in the meeting room?" He didn't wait for an answer.
"Cool, I'll meet you there in five!" That said, he turned away and continued in the direction of the locker room.

`Everthing's cool Brown, just keep it cool, bro'.

He didn't see how Gil's face crumbled, didn't see the devastation. He didn't want to.


The End.