Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-11-10
Words:
11,947
Chapters:
7/7
Comments:
2
Kudos:
27
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
4,499

Chaos Theory

Summary:

A newspaper article brings Speed's past to Miami - Sequel to Lost and Found

Disclaimers and Beta list can be found on my author's info page.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Trials and Tribulations

Notes:

Here is the sequel to Lost and Found, must read that story to understand what is going on in this one… There will be some returning characters from the first story.

Chapter Text

~*~

Chapter 1: Trials and Tribulations

Speed walked into the break room and headed straight for the coffee pot. He sighed with relief when he took his first sip. It had been a long couple of days. The suspect was now behind bars, and all he had left to do was catalog the evidence. He yawned, his eyes focused on the paper that sat on the break room table, his cup dropped to the floor in shock. It shattered into pieces splashing Speed and the floor with hot liquid.

Horatio glanced up when he heard the crash. A pale Speed was holding onto the counter, his eyes glued onto the break room table. Horatio pushed the door open and headed straight for him.

“Speed? Tim?” Horatio stepped in front of the young man. “What’s wrong?”

Speed looked up, fear was set deep in his eyes. He blinked at Horatio, and then looked shocked when he saw him. “Horatio?”

“Are you okay?” Horatio laid his hand on Speed’s shoulder. He cocked his head trying to make eye contact with him.

“I don’t know.” He stammered, he stepped away from the counter, but stumbled.

Horatio grabbed him and helped him to the couch. Eric, Calleigh and Alexx ran into the break room concerned. “What’s going on?” Eric demanded as Alexx ran over to Speed.

“Honey?” She felt his forehead. “He’s in shock.” She glanced up at Horatio.

“What happened?” Calleigh asked as she sat next to him on the couch.

Horatio looked at the break room table, “Oh God.” Horatio picked up the newspaper.

“What does it say?” Eric asked concerned.

“Anthony Carmel was just been sentenced to death,” Speed’s voice was soft.

Horatio read the paper out loud, “Anthony Carmel head of one of New York’s crime family has been sentenced to death by a jury of his peers. Ten years ago he was convicted for murdering witness, Daniel Nelson, who was set to testify against his nephew Louis Carmel for the killing Officer Patrick O’Neil. Fellow witness Joshua O’Malley held his ground and testified against Louis and Anthony Carmel putting both men in prison for murder.” Horatio took a deep breath, his eyes focused on the page. “Last year, US Marshal Gregory Phillips was hired by Anthony Carmel to hunt down and kill Joshua O’Malley. O’Malley was discovered in Tampa, Florida and was executed by the Marshal, who was subsequently tracked down to Miami. He was killed in a shootout with Miami-Dade police officers and US Marshals.” Horatio stopped when he saw Speed start to shake. Calleigh pulled him into her arms holding him close. “Jack McCoy of the District Attorney’s office, who convicted both Carmel’s ten years ago had this to say. ‘The Carmel’s have terrorized this city for decades. Anthony Carmel executed Daniel Nelson without remorse then had Joshua O’Malley hunted down and killed for revenge. I’m pleased with the verdict and sentencing. This city can rest easier knowing Anthony Carmel’s reign over this city is over. His execution will not bring back Daniel Nelson or Joshua O’Malley, but may they rest in piece knowing their killer will be punished.’” Horatio turned the page, “Shit!”

“What?” Alexx looked over a bit surprised by his exclamation.

“There is a picture of Danny and Josh,” Horatio looked over at Speed. “Do you want me to continue?”

Speed relaxed in Calleigh’s arms, his head now in her lap as she soothed him by caressing his hair, “Yeah.”

“During the trial, US Marshal Sam Gerard was asked how O’Malley had been found. He stated that it was a fluke. Agent Phillips had been vacationing in Tampa and saw O’Malley when he walked into the record store where O’Malley worked. He offered the news to Carmel, who turned around and paid for Phillips to kill O’Malley.” Horatio leaned back in the chair. “Neither the Nelsons nor the O’Malley’s were at the trial. When asked about the sentencing, Liam O’Malley had this to say, ‘that bastard destroyed my family and I hope he rots in hell.’”

Speed snickered, “Can you hear the brogue in that statement.” He pulled away from Calleigh and sat up. “Got to give them credit they really held the story together.”

“We need to get rid of this newspaper, and any others that might be around.” Horatio grabbed the full paper.

Eric headed for the door, “I’ll check the front reception area.”

“Honey, you going to be okay?” Alexx asked.

“Yeah,” Speed leaned his head back, “Just a bit of a shock. I mean think about it. Anthony Carmel was convicted and sentenced to death for killing me.” Speed looked up at the ceiling. “Yet, I’m not dead.”

“Joshua O’Malley is dead,” Horatio stated from the table. “Timothy Speedle is very much alive and we plan to keep it that way.”

“Oh God,” Speed groaned. “How much you wanna bet Gerard is going to show up?”

Horatio patted Speed on the shoulder and headed out into the lab. “I’m going to hunt down any more copies. If anyone asks, go with the story, that they borrowed you because of the uncanny resemblance.”

Speed nodded as Horatio walked out, he lay his head back down on Calleigh’s lap, “Do you think it will ever fully go away?”

Calleigh ran her fingers through his hair, “I think it will fade into the background. But right now it’s raw and any little thing will make it seem worse than it is.”

“Tim,” Alexx smiled at the two on the couch.

Speed looked up at Alexx a small smile on his face, “Yes?”

She kneeled down in front of him, “Just remember if you need to talk to anyone. We’re here for you.”

“Thanks,” Speed sat up on the couch. “Now if you excuse me ladies I have some evidence to catalog.” He stood up then looked at the mess on the floor. He sighed as he reached for the towels.

Alexx grabbed his hands, “Let us take care of that.”

He nodded and walked out of the break room, back to the Trace lab. Alexx turned to see Calleigh watching him leave, “Calleigh?”

“What?” She smiled at the ME. “Oh, let me help you with that.” She got up off the couch and started picking up the broken pieces.

“So,” Alexx eyebrow rose as she grinned at Calleigh. “Something you want to mention?”

Calleigh looked at her confusion on her face, “Like what?”

Alexx grinned, “nothing.”

“Ladies,” Horatio popped back into the lab. “We have a DB downtown.”

~*~

“Alexx what do we have?” Horatio looked down at the woman. His eyes took in all the details.

“Bruise along the right cheek,” Alexx felt the back of her head. “The fall is what killed her. Hit her head on the edge of the table. Fight got out of control, honey?” Alexx looked at the woman then back at Horatio. “Does she look familiar to you?”

Horatio looked down at the woman. He shifted and squatted next to her. “Now that you mention it, yeah she does. But from where I don’t know.”

“No forced entry, but I did find a purse.” Calleigh set her kit down next to the victim. “Her name is Caroline Mason. She lives a few blocks from here.” She held up the wallet showing the drivers license.

“I’ll get Eric and Speed over there to check out her place.” He stood up gave the woman another glance then pulled out his phone.

Calleigh looked over at the woman, “Do we know her?”

“I didn’t recognize the name,” Alexx packed up her stuff. “I’ll let you know more when I get her back to the morgue.”

Calleigh looks around the office, “Looks like I’ll be dusting for a while.”

~*~

Horatio stood next to Yelina as she talked with the victim’s boss, Thomas Jackson. “It’s not surprising she was here.”

”She worked late often?” Yelina asked.

“She transferred here about six months ago from our office in New York, very dedicated to her job. She wanted to prove herself in a new city.” Thomas looked over towards the office where Calleigh was finishing up.

“Any enemies?” Yelina looked up at him.

“Not that I knew of, but…” Thomas voice hesitated as if he was thinking.

“What?” Horatio asked.

“She seemed eager to get out of New York, bad memories she once told me.” Thomas shrugged. “I don’t know if that helps. I just can’t see who would want to kill her. She’s a very lovely woman.”

“Any office romances?” Horatio asked as Calleigh walked towards them.

”No, she was wearing a ring on her left hand, I assumed she was married or getting married, but she never talked about it.” Thomas answered. “If you excuse me I need to contact my higher ups.”

Yelina watched him walk off, “He mean’s his lawyers.” She turned to Horatio. “So what do you think?”

“Don’t know. She worked late a lot. So it wouldn’t have been hard for someone to know she was by herself.” Horatio turned to Calleigh, “Anything?”

“Just this,” Held up an evidence bag with a diamond ring in it.

“Could be the engagement ring,” Horatio stated as his phone rang. He unclipped it and walked away from the two girls.

“I’ll check with Alexx to see if it was pulled off in a struggle,” Calleigh put it in her kit. She glanced over to Horatio who had a look of concern on his face.

He clicked off his phone and headed for the doors, “I’ve got to meet Eric and Speed at the victim’s place.”

Calleigh looked over at Yelina, “I wonder what that was about.”

~*~

“Eric!” Horatio called out as he entered the condo. He pulled his gun as he slowly walked down the hallway. “Speed? Eric?”

“In here boss,” Eric’s voice called from farther in the condo.

Horatio put his gun away and walked towards the back of the condo. He stepped into the room, his eyes focused on Speed. Horatio took a glance around the living room. It was simply furnished, a couch and chair near the fireplace. A baby grand piano in the corner covered with photographs. The back wall was covered with bookcases and over flowed with books. He glanced at Eric, who nodded towards Speed.

Speed stood just inside the balcony door eyes fixed on the ocean. “Speed?” Horatio approached him.

Speed cocked his head slightly, indicating he heard him. Horatio stepped up next to him, “Tim?” He looked down to see Speed gripping a framed photograph. He reached out, pulling it out of the young man’s hand. He looked at the picture. It was of the victim’s family. The photo was taken during Christmas. The parents stood by the tree while the three kids sat in front. He recognized the victim, as one of the girls she looked about sixteen, and the other two children in the picture were probably siblings. The boy had to be about ten, the other girl maybe thirteen. He glanced up at Speed, shocked to see tears in his eyes.

Speed looked at him, “She’s my sister.”