Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
461
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,372

Transformation

Summary:

Life changes so easily. Written for a 5-Minute fic challenge

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

He felt like the world had changed and would never return to what he had once called normal. Hawkeye couldn't decide whether that was a good or a bad thing.

On the one hand, he hadn't much cared for the world the way it was before. On the other, this change brought a whole host of complications and potentially hurtful conclusions. Of course, in the end it was irrelevant. The change was made for good or ill, there was no going back.

Funny to think that your entire existence could change in just five minutes. It was as if everything that had made up the man, Benjamin Franklin Pierce, had disintegrated, only to be built back up in an entirely new form. So what had caused this change? Five minutes ago, he had kissed his best friend.

The day, right up until the kiss, had seemed like any other. They treated and cared for the patients they already had. They had been lucky that the days fighting had not brought them yet more wounded. Still there were more than enough things to keep them busy. At the end of the day, Hawkeye had returned to the tent to share a drink with BJ. There was nothing unusual in that. It was how they ended most nights.

They chatted about all of the inconsequential things that the day had brought, and if he had watched the movements of his friends mouth more than was strictly necessary, well, that was nothing that hadn't happened before either. The tent was small and they were close together, all quite normal. What hadn't been normal or usual, was when, after their fourth or possibly fifth drink, Hawkeye had leaned across the small space separating them and pressed his own lips to BJ's.

The kiss itself had been nothing spectacular. It was just a light brushing of lips. If anything it had been a bit awkward. Short and less skilled than any kiss Hawkeye had given since he arrived in Korea, possibly since he had been in high school. Strictly speaking though, the kiss had not been what caused the change in Hawkeye's world. It was the aftermath of that kiss.

Many things could have happened. It might have ended his most cherished friendship. BJ might have laughed it off and made a comment about how much they had to drink, allowing them both to push the incident out of their mind. He hadn't done either of these things. Instead, he had smiled gently and said goodnight, before returning the simple kiss with one of his own, equally awkward and unskilled. Now the world was a new place. Nothing ever could be the same. Hawkeye thought that maybe, just maybe, he would enjoy discovering
what it held.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Delwyn.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.