Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
521
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
963

I Am Whoever You Say I Am

Summary:

Trance ponders her role in the crew.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

I Am Whoever You Say I Am
By Mari


I am whoever you say I am. I am many things to many people. I'm a good-luck charm, a nuisance, an enigma, a best friend, salvation, & an object to be amused.

To Beka I'm her purple good-luck charm, her friend on occasion. When she's in a tight spot she looks to me, but when everything is smooth sailing, I'm merely an after-thought. Something to be left in storage until needed. She doesn't really want to know me. I'm good-luck and nothing else.

Tyr sees me as a nuisance. Sure he taught me how to fight but that was only so that in a crunch he wouldn't have to look after me. To him I'm the useless member of the crew. I'm expendable. I have no purpose, he supposes, other than to annoy him. I should not be seen and definitely not be heard. I'm just a waste of skin to him

Dylan views me as an enigma. A puzzle. I know things that I shouldn't and he wants to know why. He's constantly probing me with questions about my 'special gift'. That's the only part of me he sees. To him I'm a riddle that needs solving, once solved I can easily be discarded and replaced with another toy.

To Harper I'm his 'purple sparkly alien babe' best friend. I listen to him as he strokes his ego. I'm his dumping ground for useless information. I'm a living diary to him. He tells me what's going on in his 'super-genus' mind yet asks nothing about me. He's the only person on the crew with even an inkling as to what I am yet he does not explore it. If he did then I wouldn't fit as neatly into the box he's made for me.

Rev sees me as salvation. His one true chance. I must be protected at all costs. I need to be moulded into Wayist perfection. Never mind that I have a mind of my own. I'm naive and don't know what it is that I need. Best listen to good old Rev. All he needs from me is to be able to save me.

To Rommie I'm just some kind of object that she must keep amused. She sees me no differently that she sees anyone else, well except Dylan. She treats us all the same. Out of the whole crew she treats me the best if you could call it that. She has no hidden agenda. It doesn't matter to her if I live or die. She'd shed no tears. I'd just be one less object to be kept amused.

I wear all these masks and yet there is only a fraction of me in each of them. Why can't any of them see that they have trapped me?

Forced me to be someone they want me to be. Someone I'm not. One day I'll break out of their selfishly imposed prisons.

Until then I'm a good-luck charm, a nuisance, an enigma, a best friend, salvation, & object to be amused.

I am whoever you say I am


=30=

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Mari.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.