Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-09
Completed:
2020-08-01
Words:
173,074
Chapters:
25/25
Kudos:
2
Hits:
127

A House United

Summary:

This is the sequel to "A House Divided" series and picks up where "Johnny's Journey" left off. Are the lives of the men of station 51 about to return to normal or are there more problems ahead before the station can become 'United?'

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

No copyright infringement intended. All canon characters belong to Universal and Mark VII. All OC's belong to the author.

Chapter Text


Chapter 1

Johnny leaned his head back against the head rest of the airplane window seat as the plane soared upwards, rising above the rich dark earth of the recently plowed fields on either side of the runway at the Montgomery Regional Airport. He closed his eyes, squeezing the hand of the woman sitting beside him. He knew she hated flying.

"'You okay, mom?" he questioned, still holding onto the familiar hand.

"I will be, once we stop climbing," Sharon replied, keeping her own eyes squeezed shut. She felt a little calmer than usual having taken the middle seat between her two favorite men.

Roddy smiled at the sight of his wife and son sitting beside each other. He leaned forward enough for both of them to hear his comment. "Neither of us enjoys flying."

Johnny snickered. "Guess I really am the only one in the family who doesn't mind heights, huh?"

"The eagle," Roddy reminded him, returning his head to the headrest.

"Yea... I hope Iris and Lily will be okay," Johnny mentioned, finally verbalizing his feelings about leaving them behind in Alabama. He felt his mother tighten her hold on his hand.

"They will be. There will always be... um... differences of opinion as long as there are differences in people. But wouldn't this be a boring place if we all looked and thought alike?" she asked.

Johnny sighed, knowing her comment was meant to be reassuring, but it offered only limited consolation. "I did see changes from the last time I was here, but I'm just worried that it won't be enough... and what if Iris can't get along with her parents... And what if Lily can't, either?"

"They'll figure it out, son," Roddy stated, confidently.

 

"It sure was nice of them to allow us to have their tickets," Sharon said, changing the subject to a friendlier topic. "I think Iris and Lily are wonderful people."

Johnny blushed, knowing that both of his parents were aware of his feelings for Lily. They had stayed up into the early hours of the morning, catching up on all that they had missed, reconnecting with each other. Johnny had told them about his relationship with Lily and how he had fallen in love with her when they were just teenagers.

As the airplane completed its ascent, Sharon reluctantly released Johnny's hand, patting it. "Johnny, none of us know what we're capable of until we're faced with adversity. You faced it ten years ago. Perhaps it's time for Lily to find out just how strong she really is."

Johnny leaned over, lightly kissing his mother's cheek. "I'm sure you're right."

"Of course she's right," Roddy agreed. "She's the smartest woman I know."

"I married you, didn't I?" Sharon kidded, smiling at her husband's comment. "So, tell us again about your friends at the station." She loved hearing her son's voice, something she had missed for a long time.

"Well... There's my paramedic partner, Roy DeSoto. He and I are best friends. His kids even call me Uncle Johnny."

"Uncle Johnny?"

Johnny chuckled when he saw the look on his mother's face. "Yea, they're great. I mean, I love 'em like they're mine, ya know? The boy, Chris... He's jus' like Roy. He even says he wants to be a fireman when he grows up. Roy and I take him campin' whenever we can and teach him a little fire safety and first aid. He really enjoys it; I think he'll be a natural for the department. I kind 'o like havin' a kid look up to me like Chris does. Then there's Roy's daughter, Jennifer. She's a little princess...." His eyes grew wistful as he remembered the many tea parties he had participated in. "She's the only girl I'll ever sip pretend tea with," he laughed.

 

"And Roy's wife doesn't mind your involvement in their lives?" Roddy inquired, concerned that his son might be interjecting himself a little too much in the DeSoto household.

"Oh, Joanne is an amazing woman. She's like the big sister I never had," Johnny explained. "You're gonna really like her. Then there's Cap, um, Hank Stanley, our captain," he clarified. "Second in command is Mike Stoker... He's kind o' quiet, but he's the best engineer in all of LA County. Our linemen are Marco Lopez, who makes the best chili you've ever eaten, and... ugh... Then there's Chester B. Kelly. We call 'im Chet... Well, that's the nicest thing we call 'im," he mumbled in a quieter voice. "He's the station clown, always pullin' pranks, but... He's a really good fireman. And he's got this amazing fiancée," Johnny said, shaking his head in disbelief. "You see, he actually saved her little girl after a really bad car accident on the 405 in a heavy fog, and now they're engaged. I jus' don't know how Caroline puts up with him," he laughed.

E!

Caroline Marks twisted the key in the lock on the back door of Bloomers and stepped inside. She didn't normally work on Saturdays, but with Iris and Lily being in Alabama, she was in charge of the florist shop. She locked the door behind her and flipped on the lights, hoping for a slow day so she could do a little wedding planning. She stowed away her purse beneath the work table, then made her way to the front of the store to open for the day.

She had been perusing through the notebooks of wedding arrangements for a while when she heard the bells on the door jingle. When she looked up, she gave the couple walking in a smile of recognition.

"Marco, Lexi... Good morning," she said, standing up and greeting her friends at the counter. "What brings you into Bloomers today?"

Lexi cut her eyes at her older brother with a knowing grin. "Well... a couple of things actually," she said, elbowing Marco.

The tan lineman felt his cheeks burn. "I'll go first. I would like to order a dozen red roses and a small stuffed bear, please."

 

"Ahhhhh, for a certain lady named Beverly, I presume?" Caroline asked with a sparkle in her eyes, already knowing the answer. Chet had shared the details of Marco's plan with her while lamenting that his own proposal hadn't been as romantic as the one Marco was planning. Of course, Caroline had no regrets; she had been so surprised and enthralled by the proposal that she hadn't even minded that it had ended with Chet receiving medical care from a physician who happened to be dining near them.

"That's right," the lineman replied.

"The roses, I understand, but why the bear?" Caroline asked.

"Because eventually the roses will die, but the bear will last forever," he replied. He didn't want to share with anyone the fact that 'Marco-bear' was Beverly's pet name for him.

"Just like true love," Caroline mused. "And if you have children, then it can be their first teddy bear."

Marco smiled at the thought of a family of his own. "Perhaps."

"And will you be picking them up later?" Again, Caroline already knew the answer. Chet really couldn't keep a secret.

"Yes... I have a very special evening planned," he replied.

Caroline wrote out the ticket, then turned to Lexi. "And is there something I can get for you?"

"Actually, I'm planning a party for Johnny."

Caroline lifted her eyebrows in surprise. "Oh?"

"Yes, Michael and I have been talking about what Johnny might be going through in Alabama and how the A-shift family.... Well, now I guess that includes us," she said with a smile beaming at Caroline. "I mean, we've all had so much going on and... He's been all alone down South... Okay, not alone because he's got Iris and Lily with him, but he doesn't have his...," she hesitated, looking over at Marco. "He doesn't have his brothers with him."

"He was there for each of us during our difficult times," Marco explained. "We just want to do something to let him know that we're here for him, too. Station 51 is a family; and Lexi's right that both of you are now a part of it, and we want to remind Johnny that he's a very important part of it, too."

"That's an amazing idea," Caroline commented. "It's so exciting. What can I do to help?"

"Well, we want it to be a surprise, so we're going to do it at the Desotos' house. Michael and I thought that if Roy asked Johnny about coming over for a visit, then he would be more likely to come than if we had it somewhere else. We talked to Roy and Joanne about it yesterday, and they're on board. So if you and Chet will come..."

"Yes, of course, and we'll be glad to contribute whatever you need for us to bring," Caroline said, growing more excited by the minute. "Or maybe we should make a donation for the food?"

Lexi nonchalantly waved her hand. "We'll figure that out later. Just make sure you bring Corrie, or Antonio will be devastated," Lexi replied. "Were kind of thinking about a Halloween party since Halloween falls on a Friday this year and the guys won't be on shift."

"Thank heavens," Marco sighed, remembering the antics of the teenagers during last year's Halloween festivities which happened to catch the A-shift on duty.

"Roy is going to ask Johnny to help out with the kids for Halloween, so that should take care of getting him there," Lexi added. "Would you mind talking to Iris and Lily? We really want them there."

Caroline looked down, biting her lower lip between her teeth. "Ohhh, I hope they'll be here."

Lexi looked around, wrinkling her forehead. "What do you mean? It's Saturday. They'll be back today, right?"

 

Caroline's face contorted and she pressed her lips into a thin line, unsure of how the Lopez siblings might take the news. "Not exactly..." She launched into her explanation, including the details about Johnny's parents returning with him later today.

"Really?" Marco questioned. He was shocked at the turn of events, especially with how quickly Johnny and his parents had seemed to reunite. Perhaps that was a good omen for all the men on their shift.

"Yes... It's amazing, isn't it?"

Marco sighed. "Definitely... I don't know if I could've so easily forgiven my parents if they'd treated me and my child the way that the Joneses treated Iris and Lily."

"You never know what you'll do when you find yourself in a difficult situation," Lexi explained, thinking about her own family dynamics. What would she have done if her mother had rejected her or Antonio?

"With Mr. Jones having cardiac issues, there's a chance that they might not be back in time for Halloween. When I spoke to Iris last night, she had no idea how long they might be there."

"I hope it all works out for them... All of them," Marco commented. He may not have experienced his family rejecting him, but he had felt the sting of being rebuffed. He felt his stomach do a little flip at the memory – tonight's proposal outcome had to be different... It just had to be. "And I hope that the two of them will be back in time for the party." He reached into his back pocket for his wallet. "I'll come back this afternoon to pick up the roses," he said, removing enough money to pay for his purchase.

Lexi stood staring at the work table, wondering if they should wait for the Campbells' return before planning the party. The dinging sound of the cash register brought her back to the moment.

Caroline rang up the charge, counting out the change and handing it back to Marco. "They'll be ready within the hour," she said, closing the cash drawer. "I'm sure that Iris will call me again in a few days just to check on things. I'll let her know about your plans for Halloween. I can't wait to tell Corrie that she's going to another party with Antonio. She'll be so excited."

 

"They make such a cute little couple, don't they?" Lexi smiled. "Who knows; we might be planning a wedding for them one day."

"Ah-haha, not for a while, I hope," Caroline chuckled, leaning against the counter. "Let's get through my wedding before we start planning Corrie's."

"Exactly," Marco replied, waving his thanks to Caroline as he walked behind Lexi heading for the door. He still had a few things to prepare for his evening with Beverly – timing was crucial.

Lexi headed for the passenger's door of Marco's car, checking her watch as she slid onto the bench seat. She waited for her brother to enter the vehicle and pull into traffic before she spoke.

"I'm glad you're joining Michael and me for lunch, and I really appreciate all the help with planning this party, too."

Marco smiled, but kept his eyes on the busy street ahead. "And I appreciate the help with planning my proposal tonight."

"I can't wait for Beverly to become my sister-in-law," she replied, planting her elbow on the window ledge, slowly running her fingers through her hair. She had helped Marco plan the most romantic proposal she could imagine. Thinking about the evening Beverly was going to experience actually made Lexi feel a twinge of jealousy. Would she ever experience such a romantic event? "You've been really good for her, Marco, and... I think you've been happier since you met her, too. Am I right?"

"Yes, I'm happier, but... I'm beginning to feel butterflies in my stomach about tonight. I mean, I have already asked her once..." He didn't finish his comment; he didn't need to. Lexi already knew the story of how Beverly had refused his previous proposal.

Lexi pulled down the sun visor, frowning at her image in the mirror. "I need to freshen up. If Michael is already waiting for us, stall him for a few minutes while I run to the restroom, okay?"

"You look fine, Lexi."

 

"No... I want to look...," she hesitated, looking out the window. "Well, as good as I can for him."

"Women... You all spend too much time worrying about how you look," he chided, but couldn't stop the smile that crossed his face. His sister was obviously head-over-heels in love with Mike, and Marco couldn't think of a better person for Lexi to be with than his engineer.

Marco turned into the parking lot of the restaurant, letting Lexi out in front of the entrance so he could park the car.

She opened the car door, looking around the parking lot with a slight grin. "Good, he's not here yet. I'll meet you just inside the door," she said, shouldering her purse as she slammed the car door shut.

Marco watched her hurry inside before he pulled away, snickering. "He loves you too, Lexi," he mumbled to himself, easing into a vacant parking spot. "But how am I going to stall him?"

Mike turned into the restaurant parking lot, unaware that Marco had been invited to join he and Lexi for lunch. He need to talk to her, especially after their romantic rendezvous the previous day. What should he do if Marco began to ask more questions about their relationship? Should he share that they had become intimate? Hopefully, Lexi would know the best way to handle it.

He looked around in search of a vacant parking spot, and his heart skipped a beat. He saw his senior lineman stepping out of his car, but Lexi was nowhere around. "Oh, shit!" he cursed, parking his truck in front of the burgundy sedan. He gulped, assuming that Lexi had told her brother about their amorous interlude. He saw the concerning look on Marco's face and braced himself for whatever was about to happen.

Marco closed his car door, thinking that maybe he could stall Mike by sharing his nervousness with him, although the thought of this evening was enough to trigger a new wave of anxiety and tighten his facial muscles further.

"Marco," Mike said, dipping his head slightly, but making sure he stayed at arm's length from the older man.

 

"Hi, Mike," Marco responded. He leaned his forearms on the hood of Mike's truck, hoping the two could chat for a moment. "Lexi's inside, but... I, uh, wanted to talk to you for a minute."

Mike cleared his throat, his blue eyes growing dark. He loved Lexi, and he was not ashamed of the fact that they had advanced their relationship to a sexual level. But he also wasn't sure he was ready to share that information with his coworker who also happened to be the oldest of the three protective Lopez brothers. He stiffened his spine, prepared to defend himself – and his girlfriend - if necessary.

"Look, Marco... We're adults."

Marco tilted his head slightly, confused by his friend's defensive stance. "Yes, I'm fully aware of that," he replied, thinking that Mike was talking about the two of them.

"And... And I know what you're thinking, 'cause I can see it in your eyes, but you're wrong. Wrong, Marco!" Mike's voice was rising even though he didn't realize it. "It was completely mutual, alright? I promise, I didn't plan for it to happen... Neither did she... It just did... okay?"

Marco pushed himself off the hood of Mike's truck, staring intently at his shiftmate, and wondering who Mike was referring to. Was his friend confessing to cheating on Lexi? "What do you mean, you didn't plan for it to happen?"

"I was just... helping her out, and... it had been a rough shift, so... you know how it is... I... I think we... um, both needed ea-each other," Mike stammered, uncharacteristically. He had been concerned about how he would face Marco when they went back on shift tomorrow, hoping that Marco wouldn't suspect anything. He knew how protective Marco was of Lexi, but Mike was just as protective of her now. He needed to stand up for her, to help Marco see that she was a grown woman, capable of making her own decisions. She was no longer the scared and angry 14 year-old girl who ran away from home.

"What? How... How could you?" Marco questioned, feeling the bile rising in the back of his throat. "I trusted you, Stoker," he argued, pointing his finger at Mike. "I've trusted you with my own life for years now, so I thought I could trust you with my sister!"

"You can! I didn't hurt her!"

 

"The hell you didn't!" the angry lineman yelled back. "And if I can't trust you to treat Lexi like a lady, then... I..." He ran his hand through his dark hair. "Damn you, Stoker!"

"Damn, ME?" Mike said, placing his flattened palm against his own chest. "What about Beverly, huh? She thought she was pregnant, for God's sake. At least I used protection!"

"Don't you DARE bring Beverly into this conversation!" Marco yelled, unaware that their raised voices had turned a few heads in the parking lot. "Besides... Just because you put on a raincoat doesn't mean you should be playing around in the rain!"

"I wasn't playing around, Lopez," Mike shot back, his mouth dripping with sarcasm as he referenced Marco by his sir name. His ire had risen to a level that blinded him to the fact that Lexi had seen them through the glass door of the restaurant and was now rushing in their direction.

"What the hell do you call it then?" Marco asked, the heat of their conversation causing him to sweat.

"I call it making love!"

"What's going on?" Lexi yelled out as she ran across the small parking lot to the place where the two men now stood. She could tell that they were both angry, but she had no idea what could have gone wrong between the two friends in such a short time.

"Your brother thinks you're still a child, Lexi," Mike stated, wrapping his arm around her while never breaking eye contact with Marco.

"She's a grown woman now, Stoker, and I know that, but that doesn't give you the right to do this to her. My sister has been through enough hell for all of us, so I'll be damned if I'm going to allow her to endure anymore." He kept his dark eyes fixed on the tall engineer. "Get in the car, Lexi."

"No! Marco, what's wrong with you?" Lexi questioned, tears beginning to well up in her eyes. Familiar fears crept up her spine, sucking the breath out of her lungs. Angry men, even men she loved with all her heart, brought back painful memories from her life on the streets.

 

"Step away from her, Mike. I mean it... or-"

"Or what? You don't own her... She's not a child anymore," Mike said, seething.

Marco felt his fists clenching in preparation for a fight, stopping only when Lexi jumped between the two of them, flattening a palm on each man's heaving chest.

"Alright, both of you," she interrupted, swishing her head back and forth between them. "I want to know what the hell's going on between you two."

"Mike... Tell her the truth. Either you tell her, or I will!"

"Tell me what?" Lexi questioned, feeling that all too familiar sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach.

"Your brother thinks that it's okay for he and Beverly, but not for us," Mike explained.

"I do NOT cheat on the woman I love," Marco said, defensively.

"Cheat?" Lexi repeated, pulling her hands away from the two men. Was Marco inferring that Mike was cheating on her? Weren't they supposed to be in an exclusive relationship? She had never thought to ask. And what did Mike mean when he commented that Marco didn't 'own' her?

Mike's blue eyes opened wide. "CHEAT? Are you accusing me of infidelity?" Mike yelled, stunned by what he was hearing.

"Aren't you guilty?" Marco asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"NO! I LOVE her. I love her with all my heart, Marco!"

 

Marco felt the heat of his anger rising from his chest and coloring his neck. "Then who the hell were you talking about when you said that you called it making... lo..love...um... ugh," Marco's voice and countenance fell as the realization registered on his face. "Damn," he grumbled, resting his arms on the hood of Mike's truck once more and lowering his head, feeling his anger cooling and his embarrassment heating up. He knew that the tips of his ears were bright red. "I feel... so... stupid."

Lexi turned to look at Mike, her brown eyes shimmering. He had said he loved her... but he wasn't the first man to say that... And the anger boiling up between the two men was bringing back emotions she had tried hard to hide away. "Um... what... was all this about?"

"I think Marco and I just had two very different conversations," Mike replied, feeling his own neck turning rosy.

"No," Marco said, raising his head to look at Lexi and Mike. "We had one conversation about two VERY different topics."

"Marco?" Lexi spoke up, putting the pieces together. "You thought he was cheating on me? Why?"

Mike spoke up before Marco had a chance to open his mouth. "I saw Marco standing out here and you weren't around so... I assumed you had told him about yesterday, and... and that he was pissed off at me."

Lexi ducked her head to hide her crimson face, twisting her hair around her finger. "No... I haven't... but... I think you just told him, Michael."

"Oh, yea," Marco chuckled nervously. "I was getting pissed off, alright, but now... I'm just so...argh! I'm so embarrassed." He reached his hand out in a gesture of truce to his friend. "I'm sorry, man. I'm REALLY sorry."

"I apologize for the things I said, Marco. I didn't mean any disrespect to Beverly or to you. I was just... mad."

 

"Same here and... for what it's worth... I'm happy for you both," he said, rolling his eyes and walking back to his car. There was no way he could enjoy eating a meal with the two of them now. "I hope you enjoy your lunch. I have things to do before I pick up Beverly tonight."

"You have plenty of time. Why won't you join us?" Lexi asked, unaware of the intimate conversation between Mike and Marco at the hose tower on their last shift.

Marco looked over his shoulder, giving Mike a knowing look. "Because now I KNOW that we're talking about my little sister," he responded, opening the car door.

Marco waved at the two of them as he drove away from the restaurant. He needed to double check his plans and then go back to Bloomers. Everything had to be flawless this time. Beverly just had to say yes.

Lexi felt Mike put his arm around her waist, her mind running through numerous scenarios and none of them pleasant. "So... What did he mean by that?"

"I'll explain it inside," Mike stated, ushering her into the restaurant. He wanted to wait until they were seated to begin the conversation, but Lexi began talking again as soon as they reached their table.

"Okay, so tell me what Marco was talking about out there?"

Mike blushed, reaching for his glass of water. He needed a cooling sip before he could explain it to her.

"See... Your brother and I had a long... um, heart to heart talk on our last shift."

"About me?"

Mike smiled at her worried look. He reached across the small table, grasping her hand in his. "Of course... and about Beverly."

 

Lexi gulped, cutting her eyes downwards. She reached for her own glass of water. "Uh-oh."

"Look... It's just that... Well, Marco and I were... See, we're not sure...," he sighed, exasperated. How could he explain this without upsetting her?

"Just say it, Michael.... Please?"

"Okay, we were talking about... um, intimacy issues because of how you and Beverly have been, you know... treated in the past." There, he had said it... Well, sort of.

Lexi felt the backs of her eyes beginning to sting. Was he having regrets about yesterday? She released his hand just as the waitress returned to take their orders.

"Ahem," Lexi began, clearing her throat in an effort to keep her voice at a normal tone. "I'll have the chicken alfredo," she said, closing the menu and passing it to the older woman.

"Same for me," Mike added, handing his menu to the waitress.

"Okay, I'll be right out with your salads," she replied, quickly pocketing her order pad. She had seen the look on Lexi's face and knew that the young couple needed some time alone.

"So, what'd the two of you do? Compare notes on which of us whores was the most skilled in bed?" Lexi spat out, immediately regretting her tone. The sudden sense of betrayal she had felt in the parking lot had gripped her soul, even though it had only been a misunderstanding. Why was she being so mean to Michael? Why couldn't she just accept the fact that she would never measure up in his eyes, never be a normal girlfriend? She refused to look across the table at him, knowing that his expressive blue eyes would be filled with pain – pain she had inflicted, unnecessarily. He was only being honest with her. Had he been honest when he told Marco that he loved her? She surmised that he had only been telling her brother what he thought Marco wanted to hear. Mike really didn't love her; how could he?

Mike exhaled loudly, pushing aside his frustration and anger. He had to keep reminding himself that she was still in therapy for her past, and he was hearing the voice of a very hurt woman talking. He needed to let her know how much she meant to him, how much he needed her. Most of all, he needed to make sure she knew how much he loved her.

"No... It was nothing like that, Lex..." What could he do other than tell her the truth, even if it hurt her a little. "Plus, the conversation occurred before you and I..." He looked around, not wanting to finish his statement with other customers nearby.

Lexi looked down at the tablecloth, chastising herself for what she had said to him earlier. She hadn't referred to herself using the derogatory word since leaving that life behind, but her old insecurities seemed to be lurking just beneath the surface.

Mike tried to read her face, but all he could see was her quivering chin and the top of her head. He rested his elbows on the table, trying to decide what to say. Trust would continue to be an issue for them for a while because she had been lied to by so many men. He refused to be one of them. "I've told you before that I would never lie to you and I meant that," he said, staring at the center part in her hair, wishing she would look up at him. "Marco was just... so upset about the pregnancy scare and her refusal of his proposal... and I think he was... embarrassed about how the rest of us found out about it. Anyway, he and I were hanging hose and we had a chance to just sit and have a real talk when we finished that chore. Neither of us wants to do anything to hurt either of you. We don't want to scare you in any way and we sure as..." He looked around, lowering his voice. "We sure as hell don't want either of you to feel like we're using you. I love you Alexia Lopez, and Marco loves Beverly. He was just curious about how you reacted to me when we were... alone," he said, leaning back in his chair, his normal voice returning. "I think maybe he's frightened Beverly a time or two, and we were just talking about what we needed to do to... you know... let you ladies know that you can trust us. We want you to know that... that..."

"That this isn't a business deal?" she murmured, almost too softly for him to hear her.

Mike reached for her hand, frustrated when she pulled it away. "Well... yea. You understand that, don't you?"

Before she could respond, their lunch was served and the two ate in silence, neither one feeling like talking. When they were finished, Mike paid for the meal, then helped her out of her seat. When he placed his hand on the small of her back to usher her towards the exit, she stepped away from him. The conversation, the meal that he had paid for, the entire scene had brought back so many sickening feelings, none of which she felt free to share with him. She needed some time alone to sort through what had happened, to try to figure out why she had reacted the way she had, and sadly, she had no one to talk to now because she couldn't burden Beverly on this special day. Perhaps when Bri was ready to leave the Wellhouse and move into the Lopez home, she would once again have a friend to talk to. After all, her former roommate truly understood all that Lexi had been through; she had been right there beside her the entire time, experiencing the same things. Just a few more days and she would have her best friend back.

Mike opened the door of his truck for her, standing with his hand on the door handle, trying to decide what to do. Unsure of what to say, he merely closed the door and walked around the truck, sliding his long legs beneath the steering wheel. He placed the key into the ignition, but left his hand resting in place. Instead of cranking up the truck, he turned to look at her.

"Lexi... what did I do to upset you so badly?"

"Nothing," she snapped back, sniffling. She knew that he was aware that she was lying, but how could she answer his question when she really didn't understand it herself?

Mike rolled his eyes, cranking up the truck. "Well, let's go back to my place and talk about... nothing, okay?"

He waited for a break in traffic before pulling into the line of cars, heading for his apartment before she finally spoke up.

"I want to go home."

Blue eyes nearly flashed over, but rather than argue with her, Mike made a left turn at the next light and headed for the Lopez residence. He pulled to a stop in the driveway, opening his door just as Lexi quickly slipped out of the truck, slamming her door closed, and began to walk hurriedly up the walkway.

"Hold up... Lexi wait," he called out, using long strides to catch up with her. He reached for her arm, tugging on it slightly to urge her to look at him, seeing her internal struggle as she slowly turned to comply with his request.

"Lemme... go... please," she said, tears streaming down her cheeks. Although his grip was light, the idea of a man tugging on her arm nearly sent her into a panic attack. When he released his gentle grasp of her arm, she took a step backwards, creating more space between them. "Please...," she said, backing further away from him. Her voice began to crack with emotions. "Please... just... leave me... 'lone," she whimpered, turning and rushing inside her mother's house.

Slowly, Mike turned around and returned to his truck. How had their casual lunch date go so wrong?

E!
"Those are perfect!" Marco exclaimed as he looked at the elegant box of roses with the dark beige teddy bear sitting beside it. The stuffed animal held a small heart between its paws that proclaimed its love for the recipient. "You did an amazing job, Caroline," he proclaimed, securing the lid onto the box.

"Thank you," Caroline responded, snipping a long strip of red satin ribbon from a roll to adorn the cream-colored box top. She expertly tied it into a loopy bow, then pushed it forward across the work counter along with the teddy bear. "Chet called me a little while ago and told me about this evening. I hope you don't mind."

Marco smiled broadly. "I don't mind at all. In fact, I appreciate his help with all of this."

"Oh, you're really going to like the bottle he found. He even used a little sandpaper to scratch it up and make it look even older," she said with a snicker, knowing that Chet had a little surprise of his own to spring on the couple afterwards.

"Hopefully, I won't hyperventilate and faint like my buddy, Chet, did," he replied, his voice sounding a little worried about the possibility. "Thank you, Caroline. And if I don't get a chance to properly thank Chet, please let him know how much I appreciate all he's doing... Will you?"

Caroline offered a soft smile and a brief nod in reply, her green eyes shimmering. She knew what it felt like to feel unloved and then to find the love of her life in a very unexpected way. Now it was Beverly's turn... She just hoped that Beverly's response would be positive this time.

E!

Johnny walked alongside his parents through Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport during their layover, awaiting boarding for the final leg of their journey to Los Angeles. The previous flight had been a long one, and all three of them needed to stretch their legs. As Johnny walked past a vendor, he laughed out loud.

"Ahh-hahaha... Oh, this is great," he said, reaching for a small box on the Halloween display. "I have GOT to get this for Chet," he laughed, turning the box over to check the dimensions of the item. "Oh, yea... This is gonna be perfect."

Sharon smiled at her enthusiastic son, so relieved to see him happy again. "Are you planning some kind of a prank on the station prankster?" she asked, remembering all the stories Johnny had shared with his parents about The Phantom and the many tricks the men liked to pull on each other.

Roddy looked at his son, puzzled by what he was seeing. "What are you gonna do with that?"

Johnny paid for his purchase, his trademark grin beaming. "I'm finally gonna have the chance to pay Chet back for all the stuff he's done to me," he laughed. "I'll explain it later," he added, checking his watch. He needed to call his captain to see if a replacement could be found for him for tomorrow's shift; he wanted to spend as much time with his parents as possible while they were in Los Angeles. Their flight would be boarding soon and they were all ready to finish this journey. He realized he didn't have much time. "Um, Miss, could I have change for a dollar, please?" he asked the cashier.

He accepted the coins from the young woman, flashing her his trademark grin in return, then headed for the bank of payphones along the wall. He hoped to take his parents for a tour around the station tomorrow when A-shift would be working. It was time that his parents were introduced to his friends.

E!

 

Chet glanced at his watch; his timing had to be exact. Marco had checked the sunset schedule and Chet had to have everything in place ten minutes prior to sunset. Then the Irishman had to blend in like a tourist in order to complete his part of Marco's proposal.

The Irishman grinned mischievously as he walked across the nearly vacant section of beach. He carefully planted the pale blue-green bottle in the sand with only the corked end peeking out near the water's edge. He stepped away, smiling at his handiwork as he removed the camera strap from around his neck.

Dressed to look like a tourist, he pulled the floppy hat down over his head, aiming the camera at the pier in the distance. He needed to stay close by to guard the bottle to ensure that only Beverly would find it, and more than that, he wanted to be available to capture the moment she said 'yes' on film – a surprise gift for his best friend. But he needed to blend in with his surroundings so as not to be recognized by Beverly.

Up ahead, he saw the familiar young couple walking down the concrete walkway, heading in his direction. He looked around, noting that only a few people were taking a leisurely stroll farther down the beach which meant the bottle was safe. He turned his back to them, pretending to take pictures of distant cliffs as he walked back across the sand. He stepped onto the concrete walkway and hurried to the safety of the parking lot. He knew Marco had left his car door unlocked, and that the flowers and stuffed animal were safely hiding beneath Marco's jacket spread across the backseat. With a stealth honed by the many torturous pranks the Phantom had played on Johnny through the years, he removed the Jim Croce eight track from the oversized pocket of his jacket and slipped it into the player of Marco's car; it was at the ready to play the perfect song to end the perfect proposal... And it would come as a surprise to the loving couple.

Quickly, he removed the flowers and the bear, arranging them in the passenger's seat just the way Marco had instructed for the romantic display, making sure to lock the sedan. He returned to Caroline's car, which he had borrowed since his van would have been too conspicuous, and stood behind the open driver's door. He planted the camera on the roof of the car, zoomed in on the unsuspecting couple, and waited for the perfect moment to begin photographing the events that were about to happen.

Walking through the coarse sand, shoes dangling from the tips of her fingers, Beverly strolled barefoot beside the love of her life. Nothing seemed unusual about their casual evening; walking along the beach with their pants legs rolled up was a mutually relaxing way that they had discovered helped them unwind after an especially exhausting day. Beverly had been conducting rescues at an alarming rate and Marco knew she needed a relaxing evening. The stroll had seemed to be a mutual decision.

"Marco... I've been thinking about something and... I want your honest opinion, alright?"

Marco hesitated, concerned about what he was about to hear. He tugged on her hand, urging her to stop walking and turn back to face him. He saw the wind blowing her light brown hair across her chin, saw the seriousness in her eyes, and began to think that his plans might be thwarted by an unknown factor.

"Of course I will, baby. I love you," he said, stroking the back of her hand with his thumb. "What's going on."

 

Beverly looked beyond his shoulder, noting how the wind and the water seemed to keep attacking the shoreline, but noting that the sand seemed determined to remain firmly in place. Tiny bits and pieces might get blown or washed away, but those same natural forces that were trying to eat away the shoreline were also shaping it, transforming it, creating a thing of beauty that thousands of people flocked to see every day. She wanted to be like the shoreline. She wanted to stand steadfast against the forces that were attacking her at every turn. She may get battered, but she refused to succumb to the will of those opposing her. She wanted to one day stand triumphant, perhaps in this very same spot, and proclaim that she had beaten the odds, she had defeated the beasts, she had overcome her past. While she had already come a long way, there were still three personal goals she hadn't accomplished. More than anything, she wanted to know the joy of being a wife and mother... but...

The man standing with her on the beach, holding her hand as the waves and the wind lapped at them, was the love of her life, even though she had refused his previous proposal – something she deeply regretted. While he had hinted that he was going to ask her again, she felt certain it would be some time in the next few months, maybe even on New Year's Eve but... Was he having second thoughts? If not, and if he were to ask her again, she would definitely say yes. And if they were to be married one day, would she ever know the joys of motherhood? If so, would she be a good mother?

Then there was the goal of going back to graduate school and becoming a licensed therapist. She had the education needed to help the ladies at the Wellhouse with their basic needs and facilitating group discussions, but their individual therapy sessions were being conducted by a kind elderly therapist who volunteered her time. Beverly wanted the credentials, those precious letters behind her name that would permit her to be the person who was able to peel away the layers of self-loathing, trauma, and abuse in order to reveal the precious person she knew was inside every woman who sought refuge at the Wellhouse.

"Earth to Beverly," Marco said, waving his free hand in front of her face, causing her to blink rapidly as her thoughts returned to the present.

"Sorry," she said, resuming their slow stroll along the shoreline, holding hands. "I was just thinking about... doing something... and...," she suddenly gasped, looking down at the object protruding from the sand. "Hey... Look at that!"

"Yea, it's a beautiful sunset," Marco replied, trying hard to stifle his giggle. He knew that the sunset was not what Beverly was looking at... and the dream, the revelation she had been about to share with him was quickly forgotten by them both.

 

"No, silly," she responded, releasing his hand and using it to slap him playfully on the shoulder then rushing ahead, pointing at the object that seemed to have been exposed by the waves. "This!"

Marco watched as she knelt down in the sand, using her hands to uncover the partially buried bottle.

"It's... an old bottle!"

"Wow... are you kidding me?" Marco responded, proud of his acting job.

"No... Really... Look...," she said, standing up and turning it over and over in her hands as she tried to clean the seaweed that had been wrapped around the neck.

'Good job, Chet,' Marco thought, seeing the tiny note rolled up inside of it that was revealed as the pieces of kelp were peeled away.

"Ohmygod, Marco! Look! There's a note in it!"

"Hmm?"

Marco watched at the childlike wonder on her face as she pulled the cork out of the top and shook the bottle. He fought the urge to grin when he saw that the note he had written had been rolled up tightly and the ends twisted so that it would easily slide out of its upturned container.

Beverly slipped the bottle beneath her arm and began to unfurl the wrinkled paper. Turning her back to the water so that the setting sun would cast its final fading glow on the note, she allowed her lips to move as she read the intentionally unrecognizable writing.

She quickly gasped, covering her mouth with her hand, inadvertently dropping the bottle onto the sand. "Marco... It's a love letter... Listen to this," She announced, feeling the backs of her eyes beginning to sting. "My life was incomplete before I met you. Now, all I think about is waking up beside you every morning..." She looked up at Marco then quickly returned her eyes to the wrinkled paper in her hands. "Ohh, that's so sweet." Who could have possibly written such a note, and why had it been tossed into the ocean? She reread the words, feeling Marco reaching gently for her left hand that was still covering her mouth and slowly pulling it downward, but she continued reading the note out loud. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

She continued staring at the note, unaware of what Marco was doing. "I can't believe that it was just washed up here... And we're the ones... who... found...," she hesitated, shifting her eyes from the note to Marco. "Ohmygod," she whispered in a raspy voice, her breath hitching as she looked down at the man she loved who had just dropped onto one knee and was holding a diamond ring poised to be placed on her left hand... if she would accept it.

"Beverly... The day we met was the day I found my true love. I didn't know it at first, but the more I got to know you, the more I realized that I couldn't... couldn't live... without you," Marco clenched his teeth together. He had so much he wanted to say to her, but his voice began to quiver. He knew he had to say it quickly, or lose the opportunity. "I want to... spend... every sunset... with you, Bev... Will you make me... the happiest man... on earth... and... marry me?"

With tears of joy streaming down her face, she struggled to find her voice. Instead of vocalizing her answer, she began to rapidly nod her head in affirmation.

Marco slipped the diamond ring onto her finger, then stood up where he was quickly enveloped in a hug. Having her arms around his neck, her body pressed against his, he knew that this was exactly how he wanted to spend the rest of his life.

"I love you, Beverly Marsh," he said, stroking her hair as he inhaled the scent of her shampoo mixed with the saltiness of the ocean spray.

"I.. love you... too, Marco," she managed to say, pushing past the emotions spilling onto her cheeks. "And I can't believe... I'm going to be... Mrs. Marco Lopez," she whispered.

Marco released her from the embrace, using his fingers to tuck the blowing strands of hair behind her ear. He kissed her lightly on her lips, cupping her face. Their lips parted and the kiss deepened, neither of them aware that Chet was busily photographing the moment for them.

When the kiss ended, she pulled away from him, a sparkle glowing in her green eyes. "How? How on earth did you do this?" she asked, finally realizing that it had all been a set up.

"I had a little help from Chet and Caroline," he said, placing his arm around her waist as they walked back towards the parking lot. He caught a glimpse of Chet backing out of a parking spot in Caroline's car. He made a mental note to properly thank his partner for helping him pull this off... and to ask him to stand up with him as his best man when he and Beverly tied the knot.

The two sat at the picnic table nearest Marco's burgundy sedan, enjoying the relaxing sounds of the ocean and the comforting presence of each other for the first hour of their engagement. Then, as the final magenta streaks of the sunset slipped beneath the undulating waves of the Pacific Ocean, Marco opened the door of his sedan, smiling at the gasp she released when she saw the bouquet and stuffed animal awaiting her. He assisted Beverly and helped her open the long box of roses.

"Oh, Marco... These are... beautiful!"

"So are you," he said with a smile, seeing the delight on her face as she caressed the small stuffed bear.

"My Marco-bear," she said with a giggle, snuggling the stuffed animal much like a child would do.

He smiled wistfully as he remembered Caroline's comment about their future children. Would this special bear one day call the crib of Baby Lopez its home? He closed the door and walked around to the driver's side of the sedan. As soon as he cranked it up, he knew that Chet had added his own special touch to a very special evening when the melodious sounds of Jim Croce wafted through the vehicle.

If I could save time in a bottle,
The first thing that I'd like to do,
Is to save every day
'Til eternity passes away,
Just to spend them with you...

"Time in a Bottle" (1973) Jim Croce