Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Updated:
2024-03-24
Words:
14,285
Chapters:
9/?
Kudos:
17
Bookmarks:
4
Hits:
1,055

Complications

Summary:

When they had told him Steve needed a liver transplant, Danny had not even hesitated that he would donate a part of his liver to save Steve's life, after all he and Steve shared the same blood type. They had also warned him that there would be some discomfort after the operation but they did not warn him the discomfort would feel like a white hot knife was being twisted in his guts.
Epilogue to the Season 6 episode - O Ke Ali'i Wale No Ka' U MakeMake

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Text


Opening his eyes, Danny pulled the light sheet up over his shoulders in an attempt to stop shivering as he rolled over and stared at the figure asleep in the other bed. How the Hell could McGarrett sleep when the room was so cold?

He swallowed a moan as a stabbing pain tore through his midriff, they had warned him that there would be some discomfort after the operation but they did not warn him the discomfort would feel like a white hot knife was being twisted in his guts. Clutching his midriff, he pulled his knees up to his chest and turned his head into the pillow to smother his groans as he prayed for the pain to ease. 

His prayer was finally answered as the pain began to fade, only to return a heartbeat later, so intense that it stole his breath away.

“Danny?” Steve frowned as he heard the soft moan from the bed beside him. “Danny are you okay?”

Another pain filled moan answered his question as he gingerly sat up and turned the light above his bed on as he looked across at his partner in the other bed. Danny was tightly curled up on his side, his arms wrapped tightly around his stomach, his knees drawn up to his chest and his face buried deep into the pillow as he moaned in pain again. Even in the dim light the nightlight above his bed gave off, Steve could see Danny was shivering violently.

“Ohh God, Steve… it hurts…” Danny moaned into the pillow as another agonizing pain tore through his stomach, “Ohh God … Steve…”

“It’s okay, Buddy, I’m here.” Steve called across the small distance that separated them as he grabbed the nurse call button and pressed it hard before dropping it onto the bed as he turned and swung his legs off the bed. He felt the needle from the drip tug in the back of his hand as the tubing was stretched as far as it would go and he quickly tore of the surgical tape securing the needle and pulled the needle free.  Sliding off the bed, he held his own painful surgical incision with one hand as he unsteadily crossed to the side of Danny’s bed. “I’m here, Buddy.” he whispered again as he reached the bed as the door to their room opened and the nurse entered the room.

“Mr McGarrett, what do you think you are doing out of bed?” she asked as she turned on the main light.

“It’s Danny…Something’s wrong…” Steve began but anymore he was going to say was interrupted as Danny cried out in pain and curled up into a tighter ball as his arms wrapped tighter around his stomach.

“Sss…steve….”

Gently placing his hand on Danny’s back, Steve leaned down close to his ear and whispered, “It’s going okay Babe, I’m here and so is the nurse.”

Moving swiftly across to the side of Danny’s bed, the nurse nudged Steve out of the way as she grabbed the call button and leaned down closer to Danny and asked, “Detective Williams, where does it hurt?”

“My sss…stomach,” Danny panted through gritted teeth before he begged, unable to stop the tears as wave after wave of excruciating pain stabbed through his guts, “Ohh God, pl...please make it stop.”

Reaching for Danny’s wrist, the nurse turned her head towards the door as it opened and two more nurses hurried into the room. “Page Doctor Mullins, tell him we need him here stat.” she ordered the first nurse who turned and hurried out of the room before she turned to the second nurse and nodded towards Steve, glancing down at his hand and the droplets of blood that were falling onto the floor. “Please help Commander McGarrett back into bed. He needs to have his drip reinserted.”

The young nurse nodded and hurried across and gently but firmly guided Steve away from the side of Danny’s bed as the curtain was quickly drawn between him and his partner.

Reluctantly Steve got back in bed, never noticing when the nurse covered his legs with the sheet and adjust the pillows behind him and eased him back into a semi- reclined position, as he watched the surgeon hurried into the room and disappeared behind the curtain.

“I’m sure that he will be okay,” the young Polynesian nurse whispered as she tried to reassure her patient who was anxiously watching the shadows flicker across the curtain as she she skilfully reinserted the drip.

Steve nodded distractedly as he strained to hear what was happening on the other side of the piece of hanging white material that separated him from his closest friend.  

“BP’s 80/60… Pulse 120 and thready…” the nurse said quietly, acutely aware that the patient’s partner, and the man to whom he had donated half of his liver, was now back in the other bed, probably eavesdropping into their conversation.

“Stomach’s distended and hard,” Mullins frowned as Danny cry out in pain and tried to push his hands away as he gently palpated his swollen stomach, “and there’s tenderness around the liver.”

“Do you think he’s bleeding?” the nurse asked as she watched the doctor moved around the bed and adjusted the flow of the drip.

“That or he has developed peritonitis.” Mullins nodded grimly as he looked down at his extremely ill patient who had rolled back onto his side, moaning softly as he clutched his stomach. Looking back up at the nurse, he sighed, “Either way, he’s in trouble, I think we better get him straight up to the OR and find out what the Hell is going on.”

“I’ll contact the OR and tell them we are on our way up.”

“Also contact Dr Hartman, tell him I would like him to assist.” 

“Yes Doctor.” the nurse answered as she turned and hurried out of the room.

Sighing, the surgeon turned towards the curtain, aware that McGarrett would want to know what was happening. Taking a deep breath, he pulled the curtain open.

“Doc?” Steve asked, his fear and concern for his partner only too evident on his face as he looked across at Danny.

“I’m afraid that Detective Williams has developed some complications.” he began softly as the nurse returned with two orderlies and informed the surgeon the OR was ready before disconnecting Danny from the monitor that was sitting on the table beside the bed.

“Complications? What kind of complications?” Steve asked, running his hand over the back of his head, not quite believing this was not all just a bad dream as he looked back at the surgeon.

“I’m afraid that he is either bleeding internally or has developed peritonitis, unfortunately we won’t know which until we do exploratory surgery.” the surgeon told him as he turned and watched his patient wheeled from the room before he turned back to Steve, “Now if you will excuse me, I really have to go.”

“Doc…”

Mullins paused as he reached the door and turned back to the man in the bed, “I know, Commander, I will have the nurses update you as soon as I can.”

“Thanks.” Steve said softly, staring at an empty doorway as the argument he and Danny had had before Danny had gone to sleep came back to haunt him.