Actions

Work Header

Alpha Red

Summary:

Horatio heard the noise and turned back to make a grab for him, to drag him a long. The bomb went off...they weren't going to make it.

Chapter 1: Prologue

Notes:

Disclaimer: I don't own CSI, CSI: Miami, Teen Wolf, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Notes: Basically the prologue is a short rewrite of Season 3’s Lost Son (09/20/04).

Chapter Text

calikocat
Word count: 2967

XXX

“You didn't have to help Susie.”

Susie smiled at him as she opened up the box of kitchen stuffs and started sorting them out: toaster, blender and the toaster oven were pulled out and placed around the kitchen. “It’s no trouble Speed. Like Horatio says, we're family...besides I think Madison has a little crush on Wally. He's her favorite babysitter.” They both looked toward the living room where Wally and Madison were setting up the entertainment system. Wally crawling around, fooling with the cords and connections and Madison was unpacking the small collection of movies they'd accumulated in the last few months.

“Yeah.” Speed smiled and opened another box, this one filled with dishes. “And we do appreciate it. It’s not a big place, but unpacking takes time.”

She giggled. “I think Wally was just worried that you two would never get unpacked with you in charge.”

He rolled his eyes but had to agree, except for this vacation, he'd been pretty busy at work this past summer. He and Wally had barely had time to check out very many places when they'd decided to move. It was by pure luck alone that they'd found their little one bedroom bungalow paradise.

There was a beep...and then another...his phone. He put the plates back that he'd picked up and checked the screen. “Work emergency.”

“So much for the rest of your vacation.”

Speed sighed and pocketed his phone. “Yeah. You don't mind going it alone with the kids?” He asked gesturing to the two giggling in the living-room.

Susie nodded. “We'll be fine, give Horatio our best.”

“Will do.” He moved from the kitchen to the desk where he kept his gun and badge in a locked drawer while home. Once both were clipped to his hip he headed toward the living room. “Wally.”

Wally was already standing; a look of understanding on his face. “I heard the tell-tale beeps.” He rose up to kiss Speed. “Go do science and catch the bad guys.”

“As always.”

“And I'm not a kid.”

Speed grinned and kissed him again. “Heard that huh?”

“As always.”

He pulled away before he was tempted to kiss Wally a third time. “Maddie you be good for your mom and Wally, I'll see you later.”

“Okay Uncle Speed.”

And with a wave to Susie he was out the door and on his bike.

xxx

“Cars are such a bad investment.” Speed said as he eyed the Rolls Royce they had parked behind.

Horatio chuckled and led the way into McCauley Jewelers. “Someday you and Wally may need something with doors.”

“Or a side car.”

“I don't think Wally would approve of a side car, not if your children are in it.”

Speed paused there in the doorway of the store. “H it’s only been a few months and we just moved in together. Wally and I haven't even talked about kids.”

Horatio gave him a little smile. “And yet you have already bought a house, one that needs a little fixing up and could turn a profit when you're ready for something bigger.” Then he changed the subject. “Does he know you're buying him a motorcycle to replace his scooter?”

“Not yet.”

Horatio just gave him another smile before continuing on, heading directly to a well dressed man who stood in the center of the store, almost at attention. “We're here to see Mr. McCauley please.”

The man smiled at them as he apologized. “Mr. McCauley is the previous owner, I am the new owner. Rudolph Koehler, please call me Rudy. Perhaps I can be of service officer?”

Speed didn't bother engaging in any conversation, Horatio was there and he was in charge, so he let him deal with the owner. Instead Speed walked around the store, observing everything the way he would at a crime scene.

“I've recently been speaking to your customer Mrs. Tawny Williams.”

He let Horatio's conversation fade to the background as he took everything in, letting his still new, to him, enhanced senses explore. It was one of the things he'd had to get used to after the change, Dragons could see better, hear better, catch a scent...so on and so forth. He looked toward the two women standing behind a display case...both looked nervous, one was sweating...both their hearts were racing.

There was a man cleaning jewelry on the other side of the room, his hands were shaking...he was praying under his breath. And good old Rudy wasn't as calm as he appeared...and the second he saw movement in the next room, a man hiding under his desk, he understood why and he unsnapped his holster, bringing his gun out.

“Speed?” He didn't answer, just glanced back at Horatio and moved into a firing stance. Horatio nodded. “Stay put.” He ordered Rudy and moved to back Speed up. The door to the back room opened, and a man stepped into view, gun in hand. “Speed!”

Hell broke loose.

The perp fired first, the women screamed, and Speed tried to return fire...but his gun clicked...and that was all it did. He glanced at it...a fatal mistake. Or it would have been if he hadn't heard another shot fired and shifted. It had been instinct really, as a dragon he'd be a bigger target, but a bullet wouldn't do as much damage.

In that moment he was glad he was mid-size for a dragon, if he'd been as big as Xander Harris, the building would have been destroyed. Instead he filled up about half the room, crouched as he was amid the broken glass and scattered jewelry...with a bullet lodged in his left shoulder.

He shifted back to human form and stayed on the floor, not wanting to get Horatio killed by being an easy target...but by that time the shooting had stopped. Horatio came to lean over him, eyes worried and scared.

“Speed?”

“Ow.”

Horatio managed to smile at him. “Hey there partner.”

“My gun misfired.”

“I know.”

“Wally is gonna be pissed.”

Horatio's phone rang...he looked at the caller ID. “Speaking of the concerned mate.”

“Oh hell.”

xxx

Wally clutched at his heart as pain lanced through his entire body before settling in his left shoulder. He didn't remember hitting the floor, but he must have because he was laying on the carpet now, his head in Madison's lap.

“Wally?”

“Hey Maddie.”

“You okay?”

“I don't know.”

Susie joined them a glass of water in her hands. “Hey, sit up and drink this.” He did and watched as both mother and daughter watched him worriedly. He drank all of the water and handed the empty glass back to Susie who put it on the coffee table. “You're lucky you hit the sofa first. What happened?”

“Speed's hurt.”

“What? How do you know?”

“A soulmate thing.” He wiggled his phone out of his pocket and called Horatio...being hurt would probably keep Speed from answering his phone. Horatio picked up on the second ring.

“Wally.”

“How bad is he hurt?”

There was a pause, and when he spoke Horatio sounded awed. “How did you know?”

“I felt whatever it was Horatio. What happened?”

“His gun malfunctioned and he took a round to the shoulder.”

“How bad?”

“He'll be okay...but Wally he changed here in this store. We need the security footage adjusted.”

“Where are you?”

“McCauley Jewelers.”

“I'll make the call. Send me the address of whichever hospital you send him to. I'll deal with him in person.”

“Understood, I'll let him know.” Horatio hung up.

“Good.” Wally took a deep sigh and let it out relieved, then dialed another number. It clicked on the first ring. “Hey Gargoyle.”

“Wally. What's shakin'?”

“Speed was involved in a shoot out...he changed...need the footage fixed.”

“Where?”

“A place called McCauley Jewelers. I don't have an address.”

“No problem Wally.” Gargoyle reassured him. “Already have it brought up—holy moly. His gun jammed.”

Wally felt his blood run cold. “What-what can cause that?”

Gargoyle seemed hesitant to answer. “Well...a multitude of things...”

The cold feeling changed to something more familiar, exasperation. “Like not keeping his gun clean.”

“...yeah...I'm guessing someone's getting a scolding.”

“Oh you have no idea. Can you fix the video?”

“By the time your creepy IAB guy starts poking around I'll have it edited to perfection...the witnesses in the store took cover when the first gun fired. I don't think they saw anything.”

“Good. Thanks for this.”

“No problem, it’s what I'm here for.”

Wally hung up and took a deep breath and focused on Susie and Madison. “You two mind if we cut this short? I'm going to have to go to the hospital soon and rip my boyfriend a new one.”

“Will Uncle Speed be okay?”

Wally smiled at Madison and pulled her into a hug. “Uncle Horatio said he'd be fine.” She didn't squirm in his grasp, just quietly rested her head on his shoulder while he started to shake. Susie sat closer and put her arm around them both.

xxx

They managed to get Speed in an ambulance and off the premises before IAB showed up. Calleigh was assigned to the scene and Horatio handed her both his gun and Speed's before he sent a text to Wally.

“You going to the hospital?” Calleigh asked; guns in hand.

“No...no I'm going to work on our friend Rudy. Alexx will meet the ambulance at the hospital...and Wally will be on his way there.”

“Does he know what happened?”

“I only told him Speed was hurt...but he put in a call to Gargoyle for us to deal with the video surveillance. So there's a good chance he knows exactly what happened...”

The way he'd trailed off made Calleigh frown. “Was there something else?”

He nodded. “There was...In fact he called me moments after it happened...he felt Speed get hurt.”

Her face showed the awe he was still feeling. “This soulmate deal you guys get amazes me. Keep me posted on Speed.”

“Will do.” He watched her walk away...and watched Rick Stetler step into the store. Perfect.

xxx

Alexx was sitting with him in the ER while they removed the bullet. It wasn't deep, as he'd been changed when it hit his body, so it had healed a little and pushed it out just a smidge. However he couldn't start healing for real until after the bullet was gone.

“You're lucky Mr. Speedle.” The attending told him. “This could have been much worse.”

“Yeah. I know.”

Alexx looked like she was about to say something, but there was a commotion in the hallway. “Be right back baby.” She let go of the hand she'd been holding, gave him a pat on the cheek and stepped out.

Stetler was there...and looked like he was about to turn tail and run...because Wally was in his face and making him march back the way he had come. She couldn't hear what Wally was saying, but whatever it was, made Rick's eyes wide in shock.

And then Wally was walking back toward the room slipping something into his pocket, making a brief detour to usher Susie and Madison toward Alexx. He called over his shoulder to Rick. “I'll be making a call. Watch yourself Stetler.” He sighed as he got to her. “Hey Alexx...how is he?”

“The bullet's out. He's getting stitched up.”

“Would you make sure Susie and Maddie make it out of here okay, keep Stetler away from them?”

“Of course.”

“Thanks.” He smiled at her tiredly and slipped by her.

xxx

Speed looked up at Wally's pale and tired face. “Hey.”

“Is this really the second time your gun has malfunctioned?”

He winced but nodded. “Yeah.”

“Damn it Tim!”

The doctor looked up for just a second from the stitches he was sewing. “You're friend is fine son.”

Wally didn't respond to the reassurance, his eyes solely on Speed. “Speed.”

“Things got busy...and I didn't clean my gun.”

His lover took a long breath, eyes closed. “That's going to change.” He opened his eyes again and moved forward, his voice lower. “Every day, from now on, when you come home, you'll take out the clip. Hand the gun to me, and I'll clean it. Then we'll lock it in the drawer. Even if you don't use it I'll clean it. This never happens again Speed. I can't live without you...in more ways than one.”

Speed swallowed. “Okay.”

Wally stepped between his open legs and leaned his forehead against his. “Never again.”

“I promise.”

“Good...now...before Stetler or anyone else from IAB talks to you we're seeing a lawyer.”

“I don't need a lawyer to deal with IAB.”

Wally moved back and glared again. “How do you think I know about the first malfunction? Stetler was in the hall when we got here and started making threats. About you and your gun maintenance...our relationship...and Susie and Madison. So I'm calling my father's lawyer, as well as our friends in high places.”

“The gun thing, I'll probably get reprimanded for that, that's something we can't avoid Wally.”

“I can deal with that, I won't mind having you at home and all to myself for a while. You'll need time off to heal anyway.” He looked at the doctor who was just finishing up, and trying not to smile at them. “Right doc?”

“Oh yes, your man here is going to need some TLC, but I think you'll have that well in hand.”

Speed nodded. “Yeah. Wally here is the Boss.”

“And don't you forget it...” Wally shook a little. “You scared the hell out of me.”

Now free to move Speed carefully wrapped Wally up in his arms and pulled him close again. “I'm sorry.”

“I'm telling Ryan.”

Speed simply sighed and nodded.

xxx

Hours later, when Joey Williams had been rescued and returned to his mother safe and sound, Horatio stopped by the bungalow to have a talk with them.

Wally offered him coffee and motioned for Horatio to speak softly as Speed was sleeping in the bedroom. “Everything okay?”

“Maybe...but I'd like to know what you said to Stetler.”

“He recognized me...and started making threats. About telling Detective Salas about Susie and Madison...about getting Speed fired for being with me...”

“What did you do Wally?”

“I told him he wasn't allowed to speak to Speed unless our lawyer was present...and that I'd report him for discrimination in the workplace. It’s the 21st Century; homophobia has no place in it. And...”

Horatio gave him an encouraging smile. “What is it?”

“He made threats about Susie and Madison...and I reminded him that blackmail was illegal and this witch hunt he keeps doing just because he didn't like you would get him in trouble.” Wally grinned. “And then he made a personal threat and I held up a digital recorder and asked if that was how he really felt.”

“You recorded him saying all of that.” Horatio outright grinned at him. “Very clever. Think it will work?”

“If it doesn't...Gargoyle is doing a deep background check on him as we speak. And we do have diplomatic immunity.”

There was a knock on the door and Wally moved to answer it. “Make yourself at home Horatio.” Then he opened the door, there was a young patrol officer standing on the small porch, plastic bag in his hands. Horatio eyed the young man, but Wally greeted him with a smile. “Hey Ryan.”

Officer Ryan nodded, hazel-green eyes worried and pinched. “I heard about Speed. How is he?”

“Sleeping off the pain meds.” Wally stepped aside and the officer stepped in. “Horatio this is Ryan Wolfe. Ryan, this is Horatio Caine.”

Wolfe offered his hand and Horatio shook it. “Wolfe.”

“Lieutenant.”

“How do you know Wally, Mr. Wolfe?”

Wolfe looked to Wally who nodded. “Horatio doesn't care.”

“Then...Speed and I used to date.” He looked at Wally again. “Was it his gun?”

“Yeah Ryan it was.”

Wolfe sighed and handed the bag to Wally. “I'm assuming you'll be cleaning his gun from now on.”

“Yep.” He looked in the bag. “Gun cleaning kit?”

“I figured with the move Speed wouldn't even know where his is. When we were together I cleaned our guns whenever he stayed over...even if it was more than one night in a row.” He blushed a little. “But that's my OCD.”

“Thanks Ryan...you staying for dinner?”

“No, I've gotta head home. I'll call when he's awake to give him another earful.”

“I told him I'd tell you about this.”

Wolfe smiled. “Take care of him Wally.”

“I will. Thanks again.” Wolfe smiled and let himself out, Wally put the kit on the desk. “He's a good guy.”

“So I saw.”

“He also wants to be a CSI.”

“I'll keep that in mind...you mentioned dinner?”

“Yep. Susie and Maddie will be here in about fifteen minutes with Alexx and food. You staying?”

“I'd be delighted.”

XXX

Beta's Notes: Yay! Speed lives!