Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 7 of Risen Phoenix- From the Ashes
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
3,681
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
609

From the Ashes- Smokie and Butts

Summary:

Pets aboard the Saratoga make for interesting shipmates.

Work Text:

Series/Story Disclaimer- The characters from the TV series: ‘Space: Above and Beyond’ are the creative property of Glenn Morgan, James Wong, Hard Eight Pictures, Inc., and 20th Century Fox Television. These characters are used herein without permission, but with respect. The original characters and situations of this story and fanfiction series are the property of the author. They may not be used without direct permission from the author.

No infringement of copyright is implied or intended.

 

Comments or questions? Email to: Rphoenix67@aol.com

 

 

 

From the Ashes- Smokie and Butts

 

By

 

Robin Burchardt

 

 

This story is set after the events in ‘Thread’

 

 

U.S.S. Saratoga- enroute to the Hermes Sector

October 2065

 

The lights in the quarters of the 58th Squadron were low as it was after-Taps. West was still up, busy with trying to finish a letter home to his parents. The rest were settling into sleep. If the light at the desk wasn’t preventing that from happening.

 

“Nathan, please wrap it up.” Shane moaned and buried her face in the pillow. The light was a distraction that was hard for her to endure. They had to be up at O’Dark Ugly and sleep was a precious commodity with the amount of sorties they’d been flying.

 

West looked over his shoulder at her and tried harder to finish. Telling his folks about ‘Butts’ had been the best episode he could recall in a long time. It might even soften some of the heartache over losing Neal. He knew his folks had been worried sick and only ever relaxed once they heard from him over videofeed. Thing was, there was not going to be transmissions home for a long while in this dark a corner of space.

 

Two Weeks Earlier…

 

Nathan’s eyes sought out the form of the scraggly orange cat that bore the late-Colonel’s name and grinned as it sat by the side of Hawkes’ bunk. Seeming to contemplate whether or not to risk curling up on his favorite sleeping spot- Coop’s stomach. How many nights had he heard the unfortunate ‘thump’ of a cat body against a floor or wall when the angry ‘InVitro-of-Doom’ dislodged it from its cozy spot. West had come to find that the hatred of cats, indeed of all animals as pets, was maybe because pets got better treatment than any Tank ever would.

 

The cat gamely put up with being thrown off, time after time, but still returned to Hawkes.

Hell, Butts LOVED Hawkes. It would hiss and growl at others, but the mangy animal purred for him. Didn’t seem cognizant of its life being incredibly short if the 58th had not adopted it as an unofficial mascot.

 

West kept reading his book from Reads.com, even after hearing another ‘whomp’ onto the floor of a cat onto the deck plating.

 

“Coop, how about just setting the cat down?” Vanessa groaned and shifted in her bunk.

 

“No. I hate the damn thing. It needs to learn to stay off me!” Hawkes rolled on his side, facing the wall…

 

 

West wrote on.

 

-Butts has been a rather touchy mascot. We named him after a Colonel who came to our squadron quite a while ago. I told you both how he was to us. Well, this cat if like Ray Butts being reincarnated as a cat, except for Coop. Yet again, he has thrown the animal off of him. Literally THROWN it. The cat does not recognize that Hawkes dislikes him. It never seems to get injured and keeps returning to try and sleep on Coop’s stomach. He has a death wish for the cat, but the rest of us will keep it around for as long as we can. You see, we had a civilian ship meet up with us a week ago…

 

“NATHAN, TURN OUT THE LIGHT!” Shane growled, but now she was fully upright in her bunk and on the verge of turning it out by force.

 

“OK, just let me finish this small bit.” Nathan would leave the tale of Colonel Strasser’s cockatiel from that same ship for tomorrow. He wrapped up his thoughts on Butts with the scant time left tonight.

 

 

Two weeks earlier…

 

Maria draped the sheet over the birdcage that now resided in her quarters. It was near her bed and also near the heater vent as space still got interiors of ships quite cold. She heard a sleepy chirp and gave a few kissing sounds back. It was never a desire of hers to own this overgrown parakeet, but the little bird wormed its way into her heart.

 

It had been in the Mess Hall when she’d first seen the flapping, squawking creature as it eluded men from the cargo ship ‘Tiber’ who had allowed it to escape. The tiel’s unclipped wings gave it the power of fast flight that kept it out of the hands of those chasing it. Until the humans got too tired from chasing it and left, too tired and too conscious of the dirty looks of those who had their meal disturbed.

 

Maria’s stomach had finally consented to eat a plate of the pesto spaghetti being offered by the Galley. She was busy wrapping strands about her fork when she saw the bird waddle up on its bony feet. Its nails clicking on the shiny tabletop. Its black eyes intent on the strands of pasta it saw her feeding into her mouth. The bird watched it disappear and inched forward.

 

As she was sitting alone, she didn’t need to worry about it being scared off. In fact, she was amused with the bird’s bravery. Its grey beak and pearl-white face patches gave her the impression of it being a feathery puff of smoke. The rest of its body was an almost uniform, grey color. Its feet were a greyish-pink. She carefully set her fork down and watched it help itself to her dinner. Happily pulling strands to eat and messing up its beak with pesto sauce and cheese. It ate for a few minutes, and then flapped up to a ridge around the ceiling. It took to flapping down a lot of dust and other debris until a kitchen worker brought out a broom and scared it from the Mess Hall altogether.  

 

It was later that night when Maria heard chirping in the venting system. While she knew the bird had gotten in there, she was too damned tired to go after it. Through the night, she had the weirdest dream that involved the tiel’s chirps getting louder. When she awoke in frustration, she noted the little bird sitting just inside the vent cover. Right over where she had her Grimsley saddle. It would only be later that she discovered that it feces dried to nothing and could be flicked off with a finger. That knowledge was not available when she darkly looked at the bird and thought about it being roasted for the Mess Hall’s next dinner.

 

Now, she slept in her quarters with the once-free bird. Hoping that an alarm klaxon wouldn’t send it into feather-ripping fits. They both needed their sleep.

 

 

Commodore’s Office

 

Glen van Ross eyed the grizzled captain of the ‘Tiber’ with a dangerous glint in his eyes. The fact that the repairs on the man’s ship were not completed was coupled with the fact that the Tiber’s animal cargo was loose aboard the Saratoga. It would put any officer in a bad mood.

 

“The Saratoga is NOT a damn zoo, nor is it a PET SHOP for my crew! I am beyond annoyed that you can’t seem to grasp this, Captain Walsh!”

 

Walsh, though thin, looked as friendly as many thought him to be. Save his crew. His washed-out hair and equally washed-out eyes beamed with a type of humor in the face of the Saratoga’s angry leader. The only other type of person to attempt this would have to have been ‘high’, whether on drugs or rank, you could take your pick.

 

“But Commodore,” he pleaded, “what possible harm can a few animals do?”

 

“Quite enough! I have had reports of animals skulking through hallways. Reports of random hairballs, feces, and other ‘presents’ left in the corners of my ship! Unusual scents that come from an animal marking territory. One of my squadron commanders even has a BIRD in her quarters!” Ross knew he would have to have a chat with Maria about that. Soon.

 

Walsh tried not to blanch. It was true that ‘Archie- a bulldog- had done a bad number by pissing on Ross’ shoes, but…..

 

“I want every animal you brought aboard this ship rounded up and held in quarantine until your life support systems are fixed! No damn excuses, Captain, or the Navy will be sending you the bill. If I don’t send my Master-at-Arms on a hunting spree first. Do I make myself clear?”

 

“Yes, Commodore, you have been quite clear. It will take some time.”

 

“Then you best start now! You have 48 hours!” Ross retorted sharply and the errant captain of the cargo ship left very quickly.

 

 

Morning- The 58ths Quarters

 

The first sensation upon waking was one of a wrinkled nose for Shane. The smell was enough to make her gag outright. The rest of the squadron was having the same reaction as Hawkes dozed on. Some mornings, it almost took a bomb to wake him.

 

“Good God! That animal took a dump in here?!” West threw his legs over the side of the bed and was careful to only put his bare feet where his eyes had checked over first.

 

“Nessa, hit the venting fan, will you?” Shane looked over at Hawkes and kicked the bunk’s frame. Butts growled and kept its yellow eyes on him. Everyone was grateful for the unscented air now blowing in from the fan. Damphousse tried to not gag as another wave hit her.

 

The entire 58th had a stinkeye for their comrade as he awoke. The cat skittered off before it got launched. It was gone as Hawkes got a face full of stench.

 

“Yes, you WILL find that pile and fire it down the toilet as soon as you do. Your damn cat left it.” Shane said silkily, noted his bewildered look.

 

“He’s YOUR pet.” Nathan added. “You got clean-up, until you find a litter box for him.”

 

“But I didn’t ASK for him!” Hawkes protested as McQueen came in with their morning roster.

 

The Colonel tried to not show any reaction, but his blue eyes registered his fellow InVitro’s consternation with the verdict of his teammates. As much as he wanted them to sort it out among themselves, he opted to remind them all of something. He HAD to remind them, as the smell of the ‘cat bomb’ hit his nose too.

 

“As I recall, Hawkes was the only one who didn’t want the animal around. The rest of you volunteered to keep it in your quarters. I think it is unfair to saddle him with YOUR  responsibility.”

 

“But the thing only likes Hawkes!” Nathan protested, mouth engaging before brain. He caught McQueen’s steely glare and backed down fast.

 

“That may be so, but the cat belongs to all of you, for the time being. The Commodore is in the process of having ALL animals from the Tiber rounded up and penned until that ship’s life-support systems can host them once more. That is, unless you all wish to keep Butts here, in the interim.”

 

Almost, as if on cue, Butts came out and began to purr and twine around Colonel McQueen’s legs. If it was a butter-up for food, or of gratitude, nobody knew. Only thing was that McQueen’s face got a little red at the furry, noisy creature. He found it hard to move as the creature slinked around his ankles.

 

“Get the thing some food and clean up the pile. After that, your CO awaits you in the ‘O’ Room before your patrol this morning.”

 

McQueen stepped away from the cat and left on the double-quick. The 58th watched their ‘mascot’. The day’s roster was left on the table by the door.

 

 

On Patrol- 100 MSKs from the Saratoga

 

The Hammerheads cut a sleek diamond through space, but the chatter over the radio was anything but sleek.

 

“Damn cat isn’t mine!” Hawkes muttered darkly. The past ten minutes had been a bitchfest about the scrawny, walking furball.

 

“You’re the only person it likes, Hawkes.” Collins shot back. The unwilling discoverer of a cat pile in the shower, with bare feet.

 

Maria sighed in the confines of her SA-43. “If you folks can’t quit bitching and pay attention to your LIDARs, I will remove Butts. Permanently.”

 

The squadron knew that the Colonel could well take the animal out. Those who were on Tethys knew well how dark their commander could get. They certainly didn’t want her going there again. Not over this.

Her response did have the desired effect of shutting down the grousing, but it also raised the disturbing question about Smokie. What point was there in taking Butts away if she wouldn’t have her tiel hauled off as well? She was damned close to an outright purchase of the bird, but the Commodore wasn’t enthused about ANYBODY having a pet aboard his ship. His will had to be respected.

 

She consulted her blank LIDAR and saw a trios appear. The Chig tri-wings were coming in at a clip. “We’ve got our first bandits! Two O’Clock! Let’s Rock-n-Roll!”

 

The 58th peeled off into their combat positions and began to work for their day’s pay.

 

 

Maria’s Quarters

 

There weren’t any pulled-out feathers on the floor. No doubt the klaxon had blared, but Smokie only gave a bright series of chirps as Maria came in and threw her helmet on the bed. The bird clung like Velcro to the cage bars as she came over.

 

A smile came to Maria’s lips as she opened the cage door. As she began to put her flight armor away, the bird climbed out and sat on the top of the cage to preen its feathers.

 

 

The squadron came into their quarters and got greeted in a very uncustomary way by Butts. Rather than hissing and scurrying off, the animal stayed and purred like it was everyone’s friend. It caught everybody off-guard. Arching its back and sinking its claws into the rubber-topped, metal deck-plating.

 

Only Shane recognized what was up with Butts. She hadn’t wanted to say it, since the cat appeared so MALE. It had none of the ‘equipment’ under its tail to show it to be that gender. Neutered cats had the..items removed completely. Finally, she had to speak as the cat rolled on the floor provocatively.

 

“Butts is not a HE, but a SHE.” Her eyes watched her squadronmates freeze up. Their petting was encouraging a female in-heat. “SHE needs to be ‘fixed’.”

 

Damphousse backed away from Butts.

 

“The cat was meant to be a farm animal, according to what Captain Walsh said a few days ago. If she is going to remain here any more she needs to be cured of her yowling, hormones, and horniness.”

 

The faces all turned to Hawkes, who blushed beet red. He was having a hard time figuring out that the cat who liked him so much was female, not Male.

 

 

One of Walsh’s handlers dragged an errant dog by choke collar back to its pen in the cargo bay as Ross watched. Rather approving of the clean-up of the Saratoga.

 

“As soon as you are done here, I want you to begin getting the ‘pets’ out of the private quarters.” Walsh turned away from the Commodore, nodding.

 

He didn’t want to tell Ross that he was approached earlier by a squadron wanting their female cat to be spayed, or by a Colonel looking for cockatiel seed. Best not to tell about the deckworker who had a parakeet riding around with him under his vest.

 

Ross looked on approvingly as another man brought in a yipping, lap dog. Had the wonderful feeling of ‘Good Riddance’ until he saw a guinea pig. Another handler had gotten it out of the Enlisteds quarters. Only then did his mind go back to a memory of his older brother killing his pet.

 

It had been the only pet Glen had ever really liked. His sick bastard brother killed it when Glen began to finally fight back, against years of bullying. He never forgave Clifford for that. Even all these years later.

 

In a most unlikely move, the Commodore went up to the man and took the furry animal into his hands. His eyes softened as he petted the warm creature.

 

 

The house seemed so cold and lifeless without the rest of the family there. The War must have kept them at work. Though it became more apparent, when weeks began to pass, the rest of her family was never coming home. Maria had the comfort of ‘Gus’, the gunmetal-grey Himalayan, to be with her. It was into three months since the start of the war. She hadn’t gone back to her apartment in Mukwonago and could not have cared less if it got ransacked. She had a thought of driving out West, as far as she could, but what use would it be? The Soviets were blocking and blowing up roads, except the ones they used. The light of late-afternoon in November was rich and warm coming through the living room window. Gus slept on a ledge, while Maria ate the last canned ham in a sandwich. Tears came into her eyes as she looked at the sleeping creature. The thought of having to kill him was heavy on her mind…

 

An uneasy shift in the interim of sleep. A brush of her hand against her tear-streaked face. A sob stifled by semi-consciousness. Deep breaths resumed as the ‘Toga went ever onward to the Hermes Sector.

 

The smell of Shetan as he went along at an easy walk. Her hand stroking the rough hair of his mane. The easy movement telling her all was well on a fine, Spring day…

 

 

It was the one morning when Hawkes hadn’t thrown Butts off of him once. In fact, the cat had been able to peacefully sleep on its human bed the whole night. The treaty between them had been a bit late, but welcome. Nobody noticed that Butts had been taken away until they awoke and found the cat gone. Only later to discover that a silent dart gun put the animal to sleep so it could be done without waking everybody up.

 

 

Cargo Bay 12

 

Ross looked over the last of the animals that had found new homes coming back. Couldn’t help but notice the two men who came back, sporting a few injuries, since bandaged, into sight as well. The cause of their pain came in with a birdcage and a bird inside that stubbornly clung to the bars with its little feet and chirped away mightily.

 

The Commodore watched Colonel Strasser hand over the cage with a curious, hard look in her face. It was obvious that she did not want to do this, but the situation required it. He waited for the transaction to complete before he stepped over to speak to her.

 

“What made you give it up?”

 

She didn’t look at him and watched the little bird as long as she could. Her throat twisted with sadness. Her voice finally came out, clear but soft.

 

“When the Soviets invaded, it took three months for them to get to my parents’ house, where I was staying. I wavered between keeping our family cat alive or putting a bullet in its head. The day came when the invaders came up my street. I grabbed my parents’ gun and tried to get the cat to the basement to kill it, but soldiers broke down the door. He flew outside and down the driveway before realizing that the men there would not let him pass. I flung the gun from me and ran to the window to see where the cat went. The soldiers in the driveway shot it where it stopped.” She looked at Ross when Smokie was totally gone.

 

“They laughed as the cat writhed to death on the driveway. I cursed myself for being so weak as to allow that animal to suffer so horrible a death. I vowed to never willingly place any animal into that situation again. Since then, I have always tried to do the right thing in that matter. As much as I loved that bird, I cannot have it with me where it might be harmed- or harm itself- by being aboard a carrier in wartime. It deserves to be protected, as much as it deserves food and water. It is what we owe to the fellow species of our planet. What I owe to an animal in my care.”

 

Ross nodded. All along, he knew she had her reasons for keeping that pet with her.

 

The animals on board the Saratoga left without incident for the terra-formed world they were intended to become part of. To be with colonists not too in danger from the ravages of war. There placed, hopefully to live in a kinder world than the one they came from. They had, though, filled their own niche in the lives of their temporary caretakers as long as they had been part of it.

 

A happy memory in an otherwise grueling affair called WAR.

 

-Ende-

Series this work belongs to: