Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2014-04-26
Words:
5,951
Chapters:
5/5
Comments:
2
Kudos:
25
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
4,157

Dive In At The Deep End

Summary:

Catherine hates the fact that since he met Danny everything has changed. She wants, needs Steve to be hers. She loves him with everything she is but who does the SEAL love? This is the lyric challenge on the 'one million words' comm.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Title: Dive In At The Deep End

Pairing: McDanno

Rating: Adult

Spoilers: All of Hawaii Five-0

Disclaimer: I don't own anything to do with Hawaii Five-0

Summary: Catherine hates the fact that since he met Danny everything has changed. She wants, needs Steve to be hers. She loves him with everything she is but who does the SEAL love? This is the lyric challenge on the 'one million words' comm.

Disclaimer: I own nothing to do with Hawaii Five-0; I follow rivers by Lykki Li, Trouble by Pink, or X and Y by Coldplay

Feedback: Yes please

N/B the specific lyrics that gave me this idea will be at the end of the story. I hope I got the challenge right lol. Also, yes I have used Cat negatively, but with what I had to work with I was limited on the storyline. Please do not use this to go over the top on how you feel about her. As I said with the lyrics this is how the story ended up. I don't usually write really anti-Catherine stories.

Chapter One

Danny sat opposite Steve as they ate their lunch. It was nice when they were able to get out of the office, and do this. They tried to as much as possible, sometimes with their case load they were unable to. They had just sat there and chatted about their current cases, and that was when Danny's preferred subject came up. Grace. The night before, when he had her for a few hours Grace had asked him how he and Steven had met. Once Danny had told her what had happened at the McGarrett house and then at his apartment she was a little confused at why Steve picked someone whom he had just met and had fought with.

'Steve.'

'Yes Danny.' The SEAL replied politely, but with a cheeky grin and amusement flashed in his eyes.

'Why did you pick me as a partner?' Danny blurted out. 'I mean we didn't have the greatest first meeting.'

Steve frowned at him, confused and worried where this conversation was headed. 'Where has this come from Danny?'

'Last night Grace asked how we met, and she struggled to understand why you would pick someone you had just met and argued with.'

'Danny, I have chased some of the scariest men alive. I have made men talk by just staring at them. I also have had people just follow me blindly, no matter what I ordered them to do.' Steve paused to collect his thoughts. 'You stood up to me; you stood up for what you knew was right. Even when you found out it was my father that had been killed, you were respectful but still never backed down from me.'

Danny chuckled. 'Well it was my case.'

'I checked you out before I came to your shitty apartment. I got Cat to look up your police history rate in Jersey as well.'

'Why didn't you wait to see if we could actually work together? We never had conversation, just arguments.'

'You know me Danny; I dive in at the deep end.' Steve grinned at his partner.

'Yeah, don't I just know it.' Danny grumbled in response, the smile never left his face though.

XXXXX

Cat sat in Steve's office as she waited for him and Danny to come back from lunch. She had been thinking about their relationship for a while, and it was time for them to move on. Steve hated to talk about emotions and things like that, so it was up to her to bring it up and move them forward onto the next level.

'Hey Cat, I wasn't expecting you?' Steve walked in and shut the door behind him. He gave her a kiss on the cheek and then sat behind his desk. He flicked through the paperwork as he waited for her to say something. It was obvious that there was there for a reason for this unexpected visit.

'Steve, we need to talk about us.' Cat blurted out suddenly.

Steve's hands froze; he slowly raised his eyes to meet hers. He kept his face blank and waited to find out what exactly she wanted.

'What about us?' He finally asked, when she had said nothing else.

'Steve, you followed your heart, and it led you here. You needed to find out who murdered your father. I want to follow mine. Steve, I love you, I want to leave the navy and move here, to Hawaii, to be with you.' Cat begged.

Steve just continued to stare at her. He had no idea that this was something she wanted. They had only ever been friends with benefits before. It wasn't what he would call a real relationship as they hardly saw each other or even stayed in contact when they were apart.

'Cat, we've never spoken about this, about having a permanent relationship.' Steve stuttered, and winced at how that sounded.

Her gaze hardened ever so slightly. Steve was correct they hadn't ever talked about this. Cat had always believed that he understood that once he settled here or anywhere that their relationship would change as well. It would become something permanent, they would be together.

'Oh I thought you understood.' Cat took a deep breath as she explained. 'Steve I want us to be in a real relationship.'

'Cat, I told you I didn't want anything like that. I don't have time with me being in charge of the task force.' Steve's voice faded out at the lame sounding excuse.

'I obviously sprung this on you. I'll give you time to think about it.' Cat stood up, brushed a strand of her dark hair back of her face. She turned and left him as he stared at nothing.

Danny watched as the young woman left. He gave it another five minutes before he stood and then headed in to see his friend.

'What's going on?' The diminutive detective asked.

'Uhhh Cat, she wants to leave the navy, and move here to be with me.' Steve muttered still not understanding how it had got to this point.

Danny felt his heart break at the thought of the two of them together. He knew it was stupid to have feelings for his boss, his very male boss. 'Ok, so when is she moving here?'

Steve's eyes shot to meet his. 'I told her that I never wanted that kind of relationship. I have so much going on here.'

'You told her this, before today I mean?' Danny asked he knew that Steve wasn't very proficient at mammal to mammal interaction.

'Yes, I did. I know I did.' Steve paused as he thought about it. 'Yep I'm right, I did.'

Danny shook his head. 'I know you Steve. You think you're right, but you're usually wrong. You could tell by the look on her face that it was the first time she heard that. Cat would have remembered having that kind of conversation with you. Trust me on this. I also know you. You don't talk about personal things unless you have to. You shouldn't have said it at all. All you needed to say was that you needed to think about this as it was a big decision.'

Steve stood up suddenly and walked out of his office leaving a stunned open-mouthed Danny behind him.

XXXXX

Steve got to his house and headed straight out to the beach and down to the water's edge and he stared out at the endless blue ocean. All he wanted to do was strip of his clothes and dive in. It was the one place he felt free. Steve knew that he had to make a decision. What did he feel for Cat? Every time he thought about the attractive woman, another image imprinted itself over the top. Instead of a brunette beautiful woman, he kept thinking about a blonde, well built, short, opinionated man.

Danny had always driven him to distraction with those tight shirts, gorgeous eyes, a non-stop mouth, and an ass that could stop traffic.

That is when it hits him, when everything thing hits him all at once. His knees give way, and he sank to the beautiful sun drenched beach. Slowly everything he knew about himself, what happened to his mother and father hit him all in one go. Steve tried to force the tears back, but nothing could stop them as they escaped the restriction of his eyes.

XXXXX

Danny knew something was wrong because of the way Steve had just left him. He couldn't and wouldn't leave his friend like this. He followed the truck back, and then followed Steve down to the beach. As soon as he saw the untouchable navy SEAL breakdown, Danny ran towards him before he even thought about it. He winced as his knee twinged when he falls onto the sand next to Steve.

His heart broke as he looked at those pain filled eyes. Some of the tears still hung onto those impossibly long lashes. Danny wanted to help him, to stop whatever is hurting him.

'Steve, what's wrong?' He whispered, afraid to speak any louder that he might spook the other man.

.'You're the best friend I have ever had.' Steve's lips quivered as he talked.

Danny had to force himself not to kiss, and nibble on them. Steve needed him to be his friend, not to be sexually assaulted by him.

'You're mine too babe. What's going on with you?'

Steve open and closed his mouth. He took a deep breath before he tried again.

'I want to be able to love you, but I don't know if I can.'

TBC