Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 58 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
489
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
777

After Route 66

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "Route 66"

Work Text:

“Hey, you’re awake.”

Dave and Derek stopped at the sound of Aaron’s tender voice. They stood just outside of Aaron’s hospital room. They were close to each other, not quite touching.

“Daddy,” Jack said quietly. “I’m not hurting you, am I?”

“Of course not.”

It was late and the corridor quiet so they had no trouble following the conversation. They could hear the smile in Aaron’s voice. Derek peeked around the corner to see Jack snuggled against Aaron’s side.

Jack sat up and looked around. He rubbed his eyes. “Where’s Aunt Jess?”

Aaron stroked Jack’s hair. “She got called into work.”

Dave rested a hand on Derek’s hip. He pressed against Derek’s back so he could see into the room over Derek’s shoulder. His breath was warm against Derek’s neck and Derek just smiled.

Jack yawned. He put his head back down on Aaron’s chest. “Oh. Am I gonna stay the night with you?”

Aaron barely winced and held Jack tightly. “No. Uncle Dave and Derek just got back into town. You’re going to spend the night with them.”

“And Mudgie too?”

Aaron chuckled. “Mudgie too.”

Jack pouted. “I’m hungry.”

Aaron rubbed Jack’s back. “What do you want?”

“A hot dog.”

Derek couldn’t resist any longer. He walked in and grinned. “I think we can manage that.”

Jack sat up again and regarded Derek seriously. “Uncle Dave doesn’t like hot dogs.”

Dave followed behind Derek and elbowed him lightly. “But he does.”

Aaron kissed the top of Jack’s head and glanced at Derek. “I can hear your stomach grumbling,” he said lightly. “Why don’t you take Derek down to the vending machine and get something to tied you over.”

Derek didn’t even blink. He reached out a hand to Jack. “Yeah, come on. We’ll split some peanut M&Ms.”

Jack grinned and took it. “Okay.”

Dave waited until they were gone. He stood at the foot of Aaron’s bed. He looked over Aaron with a critical eye. “How are you feeling?”

Aaron gave a small smile. “I’m feeling no pain.” He nodded to the chair by his bed.

Dave moved it closer and sat down. He chuckled. “Well, you’re on the good drugs.”

“How did it go with the case? Garcia wouldn’t tell me.”

Dave rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. “We had to chase them from Wichita to L.A., but we got her back safely. Strong kid. She even talked her father into giving himself up.”

“Good.” Aaron watched Dave. “You look tired.”

One end of Dave’s mouth quirked up. “I am tired. You know how it is. Sometimes, the travel wears on ya.”

“Yeah.” Aaron’s smile didn’t falter. “I had a dream about Haley.”

Dave arched an eyebrow. “Did you?”

“And it hurt.” Aaron paused. “But it was good,” he murmured in awe. “She was good.”

“What did she say?”

Aaron swallowed but the lightness in his eyes was still there. His voice didn’t falter. “She said happiness is a choice and it’s okay to be happy again.”

Dave stood. He leaned in close and patted Aaron’s shoulder. “Smart lady. Remember that it’s okay to take her advice.”

Series this work belongs to: