Actions

Work Header

After #6

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "#6"

Work Text:

She was still in her seat even as her mind was buzzing. She watched them sitting at the far end of the jet by themselves. They were close enough that their sides were pressed together. They were talking and laughing quietly.

“Off in their own little world, aren’t they?” a voice murmured in amusement.

Alex blinked and glanced up at Aaron standing next to her. Her expression was neutral. “Yeah.”

Aaron leaned against the back of her seat. He gave a small smile. “To be honest,” he continued in a conspiratorial whisper. “I didn’t think it would last.”

Alex went back to watching them. She saw Derek turn his head and lean in close to Dave’s ear. “Really? They are so into each other.”

“Yeah, but they fought it. Derek was a commitment-phobe and Dave swore off relationships after the train wreck that was wife number three.”

Dave shifted almost imperceptibly in his seat when Derek’s lips brushed his neck. He smiled and rubbed Derek’s thigh.

Alex sighed. “At least it worked out for them.”

Aaron slid into the seat next to Alex. “They couldn’t stay away from each other.”

Derek nuzzled the side of Dave’s neck. He rested his head on Dave’s shoulder. He shut his eyes.

While Alex watched them, Aaron watched Alex. He frowned. “Do you want to tell me what’s wrong?”

Alex grunted. “That’s what I get for working with a bunch of profilers. First Reid and now you.”

Aaron arched an eyebrow and continued watching her.

Alex remained resolutely quiet.

Derek’s body completely relaxed against Dave as he dozed off. Dave kissed Derek’s temple. Then he put his head back and closed his eyes.

“Do you ever envy them?” Alex asked suddenly.

“Yes,” Aaron answered simply.

Alex studied her hands folded in her lap. “James is home.” She paused in search of the right words. She swallowed past the lump in her throat. “I’ve missed him so much.”

“And?” Aaron asked gently.

“He’s getting a promotion. No more traveling.” Alex let out a shaky breath. “He wants me to teach with him at Harvard.”

“What do you want?”

Alex looked at Aaron with wide, pleading eyes. “It took me ten years to get here. I want this. I need this.”

Aaron’s voice was low and compelling. “Then tell him. He’ll understand.”

Alex licked her lips. “And if he doesn’t?”

Aaron reached over to squeeze Alex’s hand. “He loves you. He will.”

Series this work belongs to: