Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of 33 Days
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,098
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
13
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,281

One Time It Sucked To Be Unit Chief

Summary:

sequel to One Time Spencer Reid Should've Kept His Mouth Shut

Work Text:

It was finally quiet. Aaron was in the elevator alone with the doors safely closed. He took the moment to lean against the back wall. He rolled his eyes and grunted. “So much for lunch,” he muttered bitterly.

The elevator dinged and in a split second he was standing ramrod straight. His smooth, neutral mask was back in place. He paused and tilted his head to the side when he saw them gathered around to get in.

Emily and JJ were standing close together, laughing about something. Penelope joined in. She had an arm through Spencer’s and her fingers flexed to hang onto him. All of the women had smirks on their faces and Aaron was certain that he didn’t want to know, but he also had a sinking feeling that he wasn’t safe.

Aaron’s gaze shifted to Spencer. Spencer’s face was flushed and he had the same kicked puppy look as when Aaron admitted that he did like classic Dr. Who but not the new series. Spencer noticed him looking and stared at the floor.

JJ’s voice cracked in her amusement. “Hotch.”

Emily had to take a moment to catch her breath. “We thought you were tied up with Strauss and the Director.”

“I just came down to get a file,” Aaron answered. He stepped out of the elevator and held the door. “What are you all giggling about?”

“Nothing,” JJ and Emily chorused.

Aaron arched an eyebrow. “Care to try again?”

“Nothing for you to worry about, oh Captain, my Captain,” Penelope chirped.

Aaron tried to frown sternly at her but it stopped just short of his eyes. “Why do I not find that comforting?”

“I’m hurt.” Penelope batted her eyelashes. “I would never lie to you.”

Aaron snorted in amusement. Then he noticed Spencer shifting some more and biting his lower lip. “Reid?” He looked to the others. “What is going on here?”

JJ circled around to Spencer’s other side. She ruffled his hair and then latched onto his other arm. “He’ll be okay. He’s just a bit out of sorts right now. A good cup of coffee will set him right.”

“What are you out of sorts about, Reid?”

Spencer shook his head and continued staring at the floor. “Not right,” he mumbled.

Penelope hugged Spencer from the side. “Just let us work our magic and our Boy Genius will be back to his old self by the time we get back.”

“Isn’t someone going to tell me what’s going on?” Aaron asked, slightly bewildered.

Penelope and JJ hustled Spencer onto the elevator, while Emily grinned at Aaron. “We’re running out of time for lunch. We’re going to the coffee shop. Do you want us to bring you anything?” Emily asked sweetly.

“A Reuben.”

Emily nodded. “Gotcha. Chips or fries? The homemade chips there are really good.”

Aaron shrugged. “Chips then.” He looked around. “Where are Dave and Morgan anyway? I thought they would’ve gone with you.”

Penelope’s eyes sparked mischievously. “They’re a little busy right now,” she answered blandly.

The doors started to close. Aaron heard the women laugh and Spencer groan and then they were gone. He stood, just staring at the door for a long moment.

Suddenly, Aaron’s eyes got wide. He shook his head. “They better not,” he growled under his breath.

He strode across the bullpen and took the stairs up two at a time. The door to Dave’s office was closed and the blinds drawn. He tilted his head closer to the door and heard muffled noises.

He knocked briskly, but there was no answer. He bounced on the balls of his feet. He looked around to make sure he was still alone before he knocked again, louder. He didn’t have to raise his voice to be heard through the wood. “Dave, I swear I’ll march Strauss down here if you don’t open this door.”

A second later, Dave opened the door just enough for Aaron to see his body. His face was flushed and he ran a hand through his hair to smooth it down. He was without his suit jacket and his shirt was half open. He smirked unrepentantly. “There’s no need for threats, Aaron.”

“Killjoy,” Derek added sourly.

Aaron peeked over Dave’s shoulder to see Derek standing by the desk and pulling his shirt on. Aaron grunted and pushed his way inside. “You two should know better.”

Dave shut the door and leaned against it. “It’s not like we planned this.”

Aaron deliberately didn’t look to see that everything had been swept off the desk. He grimaced at Dave. “Button your shirt, please.”

Dave just smirked and did as he was told.

Derek tucked his own shirt in. He ran a hand over his bald head in agitation. “Damn it, Hotch. There’s no one around.”

Aaron glared. “For now. You know what would happen if you’re caught. Right now, Strauss has plausible deniability about you two. She’ll have to take action if you two can’t keep it in your pants at the office.”

Dave snorted and straightened up. “Since when do you think I’m afraid of her.”

“Is it a battle you really want to have?” Aaron challenged.

Derek perched on the front edge of the desk. He folded his arms across his chest. “Thirty three days, damn it,” he growled.

Dave came to perch next to Derek, close enough that their sides touched. “I’m sorry.”

“Just…” Derek’s voice trailed off in frustration. “Why did you listen to him?”

Dave shrugged. “I don’t know. It just stuck with me.”

Derek pressed his forehead to Dave’s. “Next time talk to me before you let something the Dodo said get to you.”

“Okay.”

“Dodo?” Aaron echoed. He held a hand up. “Never mind. I don’t need to know.”

Derek cupped the side of Dave’s face. He brushed his thumb along Dave’s bottom lip. “Why don’t you get lost, Hotch. There’s some other stuff you don’t need to know.”

Aaron was almost ready to start grinding his teeth. “Don’t start again.”

They eased away from each other. Dave sighed heavily. “You really are a killjoy.”

“Guilty as charged. Look, I’m happy for you, really, because you’ve both really been a pain in the ass lately,” Aaron hissed in exasperation. He bowed his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Take the rest of the afternoon off. Go home.”

Derek jumped up and pulled Dave to his feet. “Thanks, Hotch.”

Aaron raised his head. He looked from one to the other. He rolled his eyes. “Just don’t try to make up for all thirty-three days in one afternoon.”

Series this work belongs to: