Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 50 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
422
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
18
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
948

After Restoration

Summary:

small scene takes place after the ep "Restoration"

Work Text:

“Those old shutters add a touch of class to the room.”

Derek blinked and turned away from the dazzling sunlight. He managed a small smile for Dave. “All they needed was a good cleaning and a little wood oil. Wait until I refinish this hardwood floor. It’ll be beautiful.”

Dave returned it as he came to stand beside Derek. He handed him a glass of Jack Daniels. “Here’s to restoration.”

“To restoration.” Derek clinked his glass to Dave’s and took a drink.

Dave sipped his drink. He looked out the window. “You picked a good spot. This neighborhood is coming back.”

“There are good people moving in,” Derek agreed.

Dave touched the glass. “That’s the most important thing.”

“Yeah.”

They stood in companionable silence for a long time. Dave watched the traffic outside, patiently waiting, while Derek just watched Dave. Suddenly, one end of Dave’s mouth quirked up. “I can wait you out.”

Derek set his glass on the windowsill. He stepped behind Dave and wrapped his arms around Dave’s waist. “I don’t know what to say.”

Dave frowned in sympathy. He put his glass down next to Derek’s and leaned back into Derek’s body. He rested his hands on top of Derek’s.

Derek saw Dave’s reflection in the window. He held on tighter. “I’m not sorry he’s dead,” he stated flatly.

“Me neither,” Dave said quietly.

Derek nuzzled just behind Dave’s ear. He inhaled deeply the scent of Dave’s aftershave. “But for better or worse, he was a big part of my life. Why couldn’t he be the hero everyone thought he was instead of a molester of little boys?”

“I’m sorry. I wish I knew.” Dave brought a hand up to rub the back of Derek’s neck. “I wish I could take your pain away.”

Derek swallowed and his voice shook. “Even after I put him away, he thought of me as his boy.”

Dave turned, rested a hand on either side of Derek’s head, and pressed their foreheads together. “Carl Buford has no more claim on you,” he whispered vehemently. “You are what you are despite him. You’re the hero.”

Derek shook his head and gripped Dave’s forearms. He took a deep, angry breath. “Is it bad that I hope he suffered?”

“Then we’re both bad.”

Derek squeezed his eyes shut. “Dave,” he breathed at a loss.

Dave kissed Derek with a quiet intensity. “Okay, Derek. Just breathe.”

Derek pressed closer and slid his arms around Dave’s neck. “I love you.”

Dave kissed Derek again. “I love you, too.”

Series this work belongs to: