Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
579
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
10
Hits:
829

Comics and Mythology

Summary:

small scene, answer to use line challenge "I thought the Incredible Hulk was green." -- originally used in Diff'rent Strokes

Work Text:

Finch was as comfortable as he could be in an overstuffed armchair in a private room at the library. His lips quirked into a wry smile. “Honestly, Detective, I think you take too much pleasure in this story.”

Fusco snickered at the other end of the phone line. “After what our personal Batman has put me through, I think I’m taking just enough pleasure from this story.”

“In all fairness,” Finch said dryly. “You did try to kill him.”

“And I’ve been paying for it ever since,” Fusco retorted. “And I think I’ve done good work for you guys.”

“You have,” Finch agreed.

There was a moment of silence before Fusco cleared his throat. His voice was awkward, yet sincere. “It’s good to have you back, Professor.”

Finch swallowed the unexpected lump in his throat. “It’s good to be back.”

“Well, I’ve gotta go,” Fusco said gruffly. “I have to pick up my kid. We’re going to the basketball game tonight.”

“Have fun.”

The call was over but Finch’s phone vibrated a second later. He looked at Fusco’s text. He arched an eyebrow.

Bear trotted in, followed closely by Reese. Reese regarded Finch curiously. “What are you smirking about?”

Finch turned said smirk on Reese and held his phone out. “See for yourself.”

Reese approached wearily and took the phone. He saw the picture and rolled his eyes. “Who sent you this? Carter or Fusco?” He waved a hand. “Never mind. It had to be Lionel.”

“He told me it was the only time he saw you almost lose,” Finch said blandly.

Reese winced. “I was just waiting for the right moment.”

Finch blinked innocently. “So, him manhandling you was you lulling him into a false sense of security?”

Reese shifted his weight from one foot to the other. He handed the phone back to Finch. “Look at the guy. He was six inches taller than me and built like a locomotive.”

Finch sighed. “I see your point.” He looked at the photo again and one end of his mouth quirked up. “I thought the Incredible Hulk was green.”

Reese smiled. “The Incredible Hulk?”

Finch’s expression was bland except for his eyes which sparked in amusement. “I was a child once, Mr. Reese.”

Reese laughed softly and teased, “I can’t picture you as a little boy. Do you have any proof?”

“Do you think I’m like Athena, sprung fully formed from Zeus’ forehead?”

“I wouldn’t be surprised.” Reese suddenly stared at the floor. “I was also distracted,” he admitted. “All I could think about was finding you.”

Finch levered himself to his feet. He stood close to Reese, but didn’t touch. “And you did.” He smiled ruefully. “Knowing you, I should have expected it, but I didn’t.”

Reese’s head shot up. “I’ll always come for you, Harold,” he whispered vehemently. He squeezed Finch’s shoulder. He lightly rested his forehead against Finch’s. “Always.”

Reese’s breath was warm across his lips and Finch didn’t know what to do. Reese’s hand was heavy on his shoulder. He was still, waiting.

Then Reese whirled around and he was gone. Finch let out the breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding. He felt the flush creeping up the back of his neck. He sank back down into his seat. He took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes. “That was unexpected,” he mused. He paused, slipped his glasses back on, and looked at Bear curled up in a corner. “But perhaps not entirely unwelcome.”