Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 44 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
481
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
933

After Perennials

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "Perennials"

Work Text:

Derek opened the front door and let Mudgie run in ahead of him. He watched the dog trot away, his tail wagging, into the kitchen to greet Dave. He didn’t smile. He punched in the code for the security system and hung up his coat.

Dave ignored the sound of Derek’s angry, heavy steps. He grinned at Mudgie sitting obediently next to him. “I missed you too, boy.” He patted Mudgie’s head and tossed him a dog biscuit.

Mudgie took the treat to enjoy while curled up on his dog bed in the corner while Dave turned his attention back to the pan on the stove. The footsteps stopped and Dave could feel Derek watching him from the doorway. “Do you plan on conducting a perimeter sweep every night?” he asked blandly.

Derek grunted. He folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the doorframe. “So what if I am?” he challenged.

Dave shrugged, still calm and cool. “Just sayin’. If it makes you feel better, have at it.”

Derek dug his fingers into his own biceps. He bared his teeth. “You think I’m overreacting,” he said tightly.

Again, Dave didn’t react to Derek’s tone in kind. “No.”

Derek shook his head in frustration at himself. He pushed away from the door. “You do realize that whoever this is hasn’t just been studying the killers we’ve put away, but us too.”

Dave stirred the contents of the pan. “The thought did cross my mind.”

“This guy is probably targeting us,” Derek snarled.

“I know that too, but we’ll be ready for him,” Dave replied confidently.

“As simple as that?”

“No, but it doesn’t do any good to get all worked up about it tonight.”

Derek sighed heavily. He finally gave into the urge to wrap his arms around Dave’s waist from behind. He kissed the nape of Dave’s neck. “I’m sorry,” he murmured against Dave’s skin.

Dave relaxed against Derek. “You’ve got nothing to be sorry for. I get it.”

“It just…I…” Derek’s voice trailed off. He blew out a long breath and held on tighter.

“I know,” Dave assured him.

“You always do.” Derek rested his chin on Dave’s shoulder. He couldn’t help the small smile that slipped through. “Hot cocoa.”

Dave smiled. “Yeah. With a little Irish cream, it’s perfect for cold nights. It’s ready. You want some?”

Derek placed a light kiss just below Dave’s ear. “Yeah. Thanks.”

“Get the mugs.”

Derek gave Dave a brief squeeze and stepped away. He pulled the mugs down from the cabinet by the stove. Then he went to the refrigerator for the Irish cream.

Dave poured the hot cocoa into the mugs and set the pan aside. He watched Derek add the cream. He nudged him lightly. “What do you say to taking these upstairs to relax?”

Derek leaned in for a soft kiss. “I say that sounds perfect.”

Series this work belongs to: