Actions

Work Header

After Magnificent Light

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "Magnificent Light"

Work Text:

Dave joined Aaron in his living room. “Did you pick a movie?”

Aaron sat on Dave’s couch. He was without his suit jacket and tie and the top buttons of his shirt were undone. He held a half empty bottle of beer. “Yeah. El Dorado.”

Dave chuckled. “You and John Wayne.”

“What can I say? I’ve always loved the Duke.” Aaron smirked. “You really don’t care that Morgan took Garcia to that dinner, do you?”

Dave relaxed in his recliner with a glass of scotch. He put his feet up and let out a relieved sigh. “Nope.”

“You like excuses to dress up.”

Dave took a sip of his scotch and answered deadpan, “I don’t want to upstage him in front of his father’s old friend.”

That startled a laugh out of Aaron. “That’s the Dave Rossi I’m used to.” He pointed at Dave. “But I think Morgan can give you a run for your money.”

Dave grinned. “He cleans up good.” He arched his eyebrows. “I showed him how hot I think he is tonight before he left. And he’s coming home to me.”

Aaron rolled his eyes. “It’s my fault for brining it up, isn’t it?”

“Yeah.”

“I should know better.”

“You should,” Dave agreed readily. “Besides, I’ve had my share of parties and dinners. Garcia’s welcome to it.”

Aaron snickered. “You’re getting less sociable as you get older.”

Dave snorted. “The only thing I’ll be sorry for is if I don’t get a ride in that car.”

Meanwhile, Penelope was busy chatting with a blonde haired, blue eyed cutie named Alonzo. She was sure he was going to ask her to dance and ask for her number. She squealed when someone suddenly took her arm and spun her around. Her eyes got wide. “Derek,” she hissed, slapping his arm. “Can’t you see I’m busy?”

Derek grinned at her, but it was forced. “There you are, Babe. Why did you disappear on me?”

Penelope’s brow furrowed. “What are you--”

Derek squeezed her arm and gave her a brief pleading look. That’s when she saw the brunette stunner standing at his shoulder, watching them expectantly. The woman eyed her coldly and she mentally cursed.

Derek swallowed. He saw Penelope barely nod her head. He half turned his face his new nemesis, without actually making eye contact with her. “Babe, this is Corinne. She’s the Ambassador’s sister. Corinne, this is my date for the evening, Penelope.”

Penelope smiled and latched onto Derek’s arm. “Nice to meet you,” she drawled sweetly. “I’m sorry, Honey, I just came to the bar to get a drink.”

Corinne’s lips tightened for a split second before she managed a smile in return. It didn’t meet her eyes. She had a clipped British accent. “Nice to meet you, too.” Her eyes flicked over Alonzo and she no longer seemed so upset. “And who’s this?”

Derek bit the inside of his cheek to keep from making a sound when Penelope’s fingernails dug into his arm. He shot her a puppy dog look. “Do you want to dance?”

Penelope dug her nails in harder. “That would be lovely,” she said, still venomously sweet.

Derek led her out onto the dance floor and held her close. “I’m sorry, Baby Girl,” he whispered.

Penelope watched the two of them chatting at the bar. “You’re paying for this, Derek Morgan,” she hissed back. “Alonzo was supposed to be my new boy toy.”

“She’s the Ambassador’s sister. Jason warned me about her but she cornered me. What was I supposed to do? Tell her I’m not interested cause I have a boyfriend at home. Does she seem like the kind of woman who would take well to that?”

Penelope’s eyes flashed dangerously. “If she wanted proof, all you had to do was show her the hickey hiding under your collar. I’m not the reason we were almost late.”

“Baby Girl…” Derek tried.

Penelope hit his shoulder. “Just shut up and dance.”

Derek endured Penelope stepping on his toes and her silent treatment while he drove her home. He couldn’t describe the feeling of relief when he finally got home and locked the front door on the outside world. He ran upstairs and into the bedroom. He hurriedly stripped, left his clothes in a pile on the floor, and slipped into bed to spoon behind Dave.

Dave barely woke to Derek burrowing close to him. He smiled lazily and his voice was rough from sleep. “Did you have a good time?”

Derek groaned. “I’ll tell ya about it tomorrow.”

“Still got the car?”

Derek laughed despite himself. His grip tightened. “Yeah, I still got the car.”

Series this work belongs to: