Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 41 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
625
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
31
Hits:
953

After The Wheels on the Bus...

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "The Wheels on the Bus..."

Work Text:

Dave sat on the couch next to the crackling fireplace. He had his feet up on the coffee table, just watching the flames, and Penelope curled into his side. She rested her head on his shoulder and she clutched his arm in her sleep.

The fire was the only light in the room. It cast deep shadows but the atmosphere was still warm and inviting. The voice of Tony Bennett was soft and smooth in the background.

Derek took in the scene from the doorway. He smiled. “Hey,” he called softly. “What’s up?”

Dave chuckled and tilted his head towards Penelope. “She needed to unplug for a while.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I confiscated her tablet and three cell phones,” Dave answered dryly.

Derek came closer. He stood next to the coffee table, staring down at them. He laughed quietly. “And she let you? You still have all your fingers intact?”

Dave held his free hand up and wiggled his fingers. “What can I say? I’m good.”

Derek snickered and gestured to the two empty glasses on the table. “Scotch?”

Dave stretched but not so much to bother Penelope. “Yeah and she’s a good student. She appreciated the good stuff.”

Derek put his hands on his hips and inclined his head towards Penelope. “Is there something I should know about?”

Dave shook his head. “She invited Kevin out for a drink but he already had plans.”

Derek grunted. “Oh.” He opened his mouth to say something else but abruptly shut it. “Oh,” he muttered again. “You think there’s any hope for them?”

Dave smiled wryly. “Anything’s possible and, if there’s one thing we know, it’s not to count this lady out.”

“True,” Derek agreed wholeheartedly. He suddenly turned away and walked over to the media cabinet next to the TV. He opened it and crouched down to scan the titles. He pulled something out and turned to Dave. He held the game up. “Gods of Combat. Really, Dave?”

Dave smirked. “It’s a mindless violence kind of game. I enjoyed it for what it is.”

“Right,” Derek drawled. “Who would’ve thought that you’d be the only gamer on the team. I don’t know whether to be freaked out or turned on.”

Dave arched his eyebrows suggestively. “I vote for turned on.”

Derek laughed. He shook the game. “What about this?”

Dave rolled his eyes. “Don’t worry. I’m going to sell it.”

“Good.” Derek put the game back, closed the cabinet, and walked back to Dave. “I’m not saying games like this create monsters, but they don’t help.”

“It’s the same argument as violence on TV,” Dave said reasonably. “If parents would actually take an interest in what the kid is watching instead of using the TV and videogames to baby sit, we’d all be much better off.”

“I know.” Derek folded his arms across hic chest. He stuck his chin out. “Still, we have five dead today.”

“We have to remember the ones we did save as much as the ones we didn’t.” Dave regarded Derek thoughtfully. “You okay?”

Derek leaned over Dave, rested his hand on the back of the couch, and gave him a soft kiss. Then he settled in on Dave’s other side. He sighed. “I’m all right. It was a good shooting.”

Dave cupped the side of Derek’s face. “That still doesn’t make it easy.”

Derek nuzzled Dave’s palm. “I’ll be afraid if it ever gets easy.”

“It won’t,” Dave state quietly. He ran his thumb over Derek’s cheekbone. “Why don’t you take Garcia to the guest room and I’ll turn off everything down here. I’ll meet you with the massage oil in five minutes.”

Derek reached up to squeeze Dave’s hand for a brief moment. “That’s the best idea I’ve heard all day.”

Series this work belongs to: