Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 40 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
509
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
20
Hits:
849

After The Fallen

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "The Fallen" -- dedication borrowed from ep marked w/*

Work Text:

*This book is dedicated to Sergeant Harrison Scott and Private First Class Anthony Hernandez, two men who saved me so I could save others.*

Dave sat back in his seat. He rubbed a hand over his goatee as he re-read the dedication. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

He rolled his sleeve up to see the old shrapnel scar on his right forearm. He touched it. He remembered how vivid it was at first and his mother crying over it.

He didn’t react. He didn’t so much as lift his head when he heard his office door open softly and close. A few seconds later, Derek was perching on the edge of the desk next to him.

“I see you have your dedication,” Derek said quietly.

Dave traced his scar. “Yeah,” he muttered.

“How’s Sergeant Scott?”

“He’ll be all right now that the truth is out in the open. He can live again.”

Derek frowned. “You okay?”

Dave shrugged. “Yeah.”

Derek knelt down at Dave’s side. He touched Dave’s arm. “Hernandez did his duty.”

“I know.” Dave shook his head. He still didn’t look at Derek. “We were in basic together. I can still see his face. He had a tattoo of his wife’s name on his shoulder. It was Mary. She found out she was pregnant on the day he got his draft notice.”

“Dave,” Derek murmured at a loss.

“Our last night of freedom before we got shipped out, a bunch of us got drunk and got into a bar brawl with some sailors.”

Derek laughed quietly. “I hope you guys won.”

Dave smiled ruefully. “I don’t think anyone really won. We all ended up in the brig.” The smile disappeared. “I never thought to find out what happened to him. I always thought he made it back home to Mary.”

Derek kissed Dave’s scar. “He did what he had to do and he died a hero. Thanks to you and Scott, his family knows and can be proud of his sacrifice.” He looked up and caught Dave’s gaze. “I can’t tell you how happy I am that you’re here with me.”

Dave cupped Derek’s cheek. He leaned forward and kissed him softly. He rested his forehead against Derek’s. “I’m sorry. I’m just…”

Derek nipped Dave’s bottom lip sharply. “Don’t you dare apologize, Marine,” he growled.

Dave chuckled despite himself. He kissed Derek again. “I love you too,” he whispered against Derek’s lips.

Derek grinned. He bounced up to his feet and nodded towards the computer screen. “Save that and let’s go.”

Dave saved the page and powered down his computer. He let Derek pull him up. “Let’s order pizza tonight.”

“Okay.” Derek didn’t step back so they stood very close together. He smirked. “I want to have a conversation with Scott sometime. I want to hear all about eighteen year old David Rossi.”

Dave rolled his eyes. “I was a smartass kid.”

“I see nothing’s changed,” Derek teased.

Dave mocked glared. “Shut it, Derek.”

Derek’s eyes sparked. “I love you too, Dave.”

Series this work belongs to: