Actions

Work Header

How Much Of A Lonely Life

Summary:

After the ship breaks orbit from Miramanee's planet,Bones goes to check on Jim.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

It was after the starship Enterprise had left the orbit of the planet where Captain James Tiberius Kirk had no choice but to bury his wife Miramanee that he had gone into his personal quarters and stared at the endless sea of stars with the look of sadness on his face.

That was before his best friend Doctor Leonard McCoy had stepped into the room, cleared his throat and asked, "Are you feeling okay, Jim? I mean, we all know that you had amnesia as a result of the bolt of energy from the strange machinery inside that obelisk. But still....!"

That was before Jim had turned around and said, "I know what you are trying to say to me, Bones. I really am okay. It is just that I am beginning to realize how much of a lonely life I would have while I am being in command of a starship."

"It really is okay to feel the loss, Jim. You had just buried the woman who became your wife back on that planet.", said Bones after he placed his hand on the shoulder of his senior officer.

But that had only resulted in Jim shaking his head and saying, "Miramanee is only part of it, Bones. I left Ruth back home. I also had romantic relationships with Carol Marcus, Janet Wallace, Rayna Kapec and countless others. I could have taken a chance and allowed myself to give all of this up just to settle down with one of them. But I was unable to do that."

"And we could take a wild guess on why.", said an understanding Bones just before Jim had let out a sigh and said, "You got that right, Bones. I have an obligation to fulfill for Starfleet. My first duty is to the ship and its crew. As a matter of fact, I had performed that duty for such a long time that I just do not know any other way to live my life anymore."

That was before a voice from the communications system had said, "Bridge to Captain Kirk.", which caused Jim to press a button and say, "What is it, Mister Spock?"

"Mister Scott has informed us that we have enough warp drive power to get us to Starbase Nine within five Earth days.", said the science officer from the planet Vulcan before Jim said, "Thank you, Spock. Let me know when we have reached Starbase Nine. Kirk out."

And after he had pressed the button one more time, Jim had let out one more sigh, looked at Bones and said, "Do you suppose that Spock is also concerned about me, Bones?", only to have the chief medical officer look at his captain straight in the eyes and say, "Trust me, Jim. With the way that Vulcans run their lives these days, it really is getting harder and harder to tell."

That was when Bones had turned around and left the room and left Jim alone with his personal feelings.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Andrew Troy Keller.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.