Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,840
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,026

DID YOU KNOW THAT...? (sub title:

Summary:

Blair's guide to saving your long hair....

Work Text:

Title: DID YOU KNOW THAT...?

Author: josh emmett

Email for feedback: twobluemirrors@yahoo.com

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: none

Rating: FRC or FRT (if you are frightened by scissors, like me)

Warnings: none

Note: This story is written as if several writers were working on it and I was assigned one of the 'backstories' and someone else was writing the main story.

Archive: yes

Dedication: Lady Shelley, Kathy, Mary Ellen and Robbie

Disclaimer: This story is a blatant use of other people's (Pet Fly, Paramount and UPN/SCIFI) characters, aka, Fanfic. No money was made and no characters were harmed in the making of this Fanfic. My fondest apologies.

Feedback: pathetically craved, as always (even if it's only constructive criticism)

+++++

DID YOU KNOW THAT...?

(sub title: "YEEEESSSSS!")

Blair Sandburg thought he was having a great day. Everyone was smiling at him as he drove back to the apartment, and he was grinning back (sometimes even giving kids a little wave sitting at red lights). He had been up early and off to his favorite health food store. Everything he wanted was in stock (even caught a few specials), and he had run into a few of the regulars for some nice 'shopping chat'. He had said goodbye to the cashier, Annalena, and stepped out the door, when he spotted Patsy walking towards him.

+++++

Blair was so happy to see Patsy and her new baby that he almost skipped over to her car. Patsy was another cashier, and he had been invited to the 'Herbal Tea and Tofu Baby Shower' in the back of the store a few months earlier. This was the first time he would see little Jadabelle. She was alreaady in Patsy's baby pouch, and he cooed over her and asked how Patsy had been doing since the birth, and when she was coming back to work, etc. Then he noticed Deanna looking down and shuffling her feet, with a large pout on her face. Blair remembered overhearing two of the cops talking about how the older children always felt left out when a new baby came along; and how just a little attention did wonders for their self-esteem.

Blair squatted down to Deanna's level and set his brown paper sack on the ground. He looked in and found the bag with the carob candy, he just bought. He pulled out a piece and handed it to the little 5 year old girl.

"How are you? Long time, no see."

"Okay..." her voice trailed off.

"Here's something for you. I bet you're tired from having to help Mommy out so much. But I know she would be totally lost without you."

Deanna looked up and her little eyes started to sparkle: "Thank you! I work really, really hard, don't I, Mommy?" And threw her arms around Blair's neck and then putting her hand on his cheeks gave him a big wet kiss.

Patsy smiled at him gratefully, and then they all said their good-byes.

+++++

Waving at another smiling family in a car next to him, he made a right turn and pulled into a parking space almost in front of the door! Oh, Blair was thinking that this was going to a really good day.

Then he walked into the lobby and over to the elevator. Old Mrs. Cheviekian was just getting out, when she stopped abruptly and glared at him.

"Did you know that you have pink bubble gum in your hair, young man? You'd better wash that out right away!"

Blair grabbed the long hair on the left side of his face and held it up to his eyes. Yup, there it was. A big gob of pink bubble gum. (Sure explained the smiles on the drive home...) He felt panic settling into his stomach as he stepped into the elevator, and heard Mrs. Cheviekian's voice, as her walker thumped towards the door: "Or better yet, cut it out, and the rest of that mop as well..."

+++++

Jim Ellison was already on his feet, and reaching for his gun, as Blair burst through the front door of their shared apt. The pounding of both a racing heart and running feet, had alerted him to the fact that something was terribly wrong with his buddy.

Blair slammed the door and leaned back against it, breathing hard.

"You okay, Chief? Someone chasing you?"

"No..." he shook his head, his face white as a ghost, and turned to look at Jim.

"Ahhh, Chief? Did you know that you have pink bubble gum in your hair?"

"Yes!" He almost screamed in his panic. "I have to wash it out right away!"

Jim's face slowly spread into a grin as the phone rang. He answered it, as Blair dropped his bag on the floor and made a dash for the bathroom. "Hold it! We've got an emergency, and we have to go now!"

"But my hair...!"

"Sorry, this is a priority. Your hair will have to wait, Junior."

+++++

Blair stood across the street from the small, white house, watching the police come out with a man in handcuffs, Jim right behind. It had been tense for awhile. The man, who had lost his job and was now about to lose his house and car as well, had a gun and was going to shoot his family and himself. The youngest of the three children had snuck out and run to the neighbor's house for help. Jim had gone in and eventually, talked the man into giving him the gun. It had taken over an hour, and Jim looked tired.

"Excuse me. Are you with the police?"

Blair turned to see a young woman about his age standing on the sidewalk.

"Yes."

"Well, did you know that you have pink bubble gum in your hair?"

"Yesss..." Blair hissed as the memories came flooding back into his mind.

"Well, I have a couple of kids, and I can tell you the best way to get that out. Peanut butter."

"Peanut butter?"

"Yes, rub the peanut butter into the gum and hair, then pick it until all the gum comes out. Then wash it with a good conditioner."

"Peanut butter?"

"Trust me," she smiled as Jim called for Blair to join him. "Otherwise, you have to cut it out."

"Thanks!" Blair called back as he jogged over to the truck, which was parked next to the squad car, they were leading the now defeated-looking man towards. One of the officers was reassuring him things would work out all right.

"Nothing is ever that bad. You'll see..."

"Yeah," he mumbled. "At least I don't have pink bubble gum stuck in my hair..."

"Not a word, Jim. Not...one...word." Blair climbed into the truck.

+++++

"This isn't the way home!"

"Duh... It's the way to the office. Report to file."

Jim was keeping his sentences short so as not to laugh at the pink bubble gum that kept popping into his vision out of the corner of his eye.

The station was packed and it seemed to Blair that everyone was staring at him. June, a squad car officer, just starting out for her shift, bumped into him.

"Did you know that you have pink bubble gum in your hair, Blair?"

"(Huge sigh) Yeeessss..."

"Well, not to worry. Just get some cooking oil."

"Cooking oil?"

"Yup. Work a little into the gum and hair and then comb the gum out. No problem! Unless you just want to cut it out. See ya later and good luck!"

+++++

Simon had opened the door to his office and seen Jim sitting at his desk.

"What are you doing here on your day off?"

"Filling out a report on that hostage situation."

"Well, you look beat. That can wait until first thing tomorrow. Why don't you go on..." His voice trailed off as he looked at Blair walking towards him mumbling something about cooking oil.

"Jim? Does Sandburg know that he has pink bubble gum in his hair?"

Before Jim could answer, Blair looked at Simon as if he was going to burst. And then he did: "YES! HEY! EVERYONE! LOOK! THE HIPPIE HAS PINK BUBBLE GUM IN HIS HAIR! OKAY?" And he continued walking until he was in Simon's office, sitting in a chair. Simon followed him in and closed the door.

"Calm down, there. It's no problem. All you need is ice." And he gave Blair a wan smile.

"Ice?"

"Sure. Put ice in a bag (so your hair doesn't get wet) and harden the gum. Then 'crack' it off the hair."

"Ice?" Blair's voice 'cracked'.

"You might want to follow that with an oil treatment, though."

"Cooking oil?" The words dripped sarcastically out of Blair's clenched teeth.

"Good as any, I suppose," Simon answered with a slightly puzzled look on his face. Just then the door opened and Jim grabbed Blair by the shoulder, pulled him out of the chair, and steered him out of the office, before he could really break down.

+++++

An hour later, Jim walked up to Blair, sitting at the kitchen table. In front of him was: A bottle of shampoo, a bottle of conditioner, a jar of peanut butter, a bottle of cooking oil, a tray of ice cubes, an ice bag, an old hair pick (he'd found in a drawer in his room), a comb and a small shaving mirror on a stand (which he was staring into at the moment).

"Chief? I've been meaning to ask you all day: How'dya get that pink bubble gum in your hair, anyway?"

"(Big sigh) I vaguely remember Deanna taking gum out of her mouth to eat the candy I gave her, about the same time she hugged and kissed me...(another sigh)."

"Deanna?"

"(Sigh) Yeah, Patsy's oldest. From the health food store? The one who just had a baby? I was just trying to not let her feel left out, what with all the fuss over her sister... (sigh)"

"Ahhh... Well... That would explain it. So. You think you have a enough stuff there?"

"(Really big sigh) I sure hope so. Otherwise, I'll have to call Naomi."

Jim stared at the forlorn expression on Blair's face as reflected in the mirror. "Naomi's a big step there, Chief."

"Well, she is a mom. Moms know how to deal with these things. I think, from an anthropological point of view, it is one of the basic instincts that come with being born a woman. You know? How to make a owwie feel better with just a kiss, how to get pink bubble gum out of your kid's hair..." Blair droned on in a monotone voice, seemingly running all the words together.

"Wow," Jim cut him off. "We're really getting awfully deep, aren't we? It's just pink bubble gum Chief. If worse come to worse..." He bent over and placed a pair of scissors on the loaded table.

+++++

He couldn't help it. Jim was grinning ear to ear as he walked to his room, leaving Blair softly pounding his forehead against the tabletop, making a whimpering sound.

THE END

josh emmett

gabriels_girl@hotmail.com