Actions

Work Header

The Revelation

Summary:

Simon’s determined to make his point and ignores all the warning signs Rhonda tries to put into play….

Work Text:


The Revelation
by Rebel

“ELLISON! SANDBURG! MY OFFICE! NOW!!!”

The heads of everyone in the bullpen swiveled from the open door of Capt. Simon Banks’ office to the two men named in the Captain’s bellow.

“Well, that doesn’t sound good,” Blair Sandburg muttered under his breath. He glared at his partner. “What did you do? Piss off the Mayor again?”

Jim Ellison shrugged. “Not that I know of…not that I care.”

“If we wind up pulling some shit duty because you’ve pissed the Mayor off again, you’d better care,” Blair hissed as they walked towards Simon’s office.

“Abandon all hope, ye who enter here,” Detective Henri Brown murmured as he passed them on the way to his desk.

“Smart ass,” Blair grunted just before he entered Simon’s office.

Simon pushed the button on his phone’s intercom. “Rhonda, hold all my calls!” he snapped. He motioned for the two men to sit as he crossed the room to shut the door and closed the blinds. Walking back to his desk, he snarled, “Gentlemen. I am going to talk and you’re going to listen. Understand?”

Blair started to answer, then simply nodded his head several times. Jim nodded once.

“I never, and I do mean NEVER want to see the two of you acting at a crime scene like you did today!” Simon began.

“Oh, shit,” Blair muttered, closing his eyes.

“Yes, Sandburg,” Simon solemnly nodded. “Oh, shit, INDEED!”

“Captain…”

“SILENCE!”

Jim immediately stood, angrily glaring at his boss.

“SIT DOWN, ELLISON!”

Blair’s blue eyes quickly moved back and forth between the two men.

“NOW!” Simon roared.

Jim sat.

“Captain Banks…”

Simon pushed the intercom button. “I said hold my calls, Rhonda!” He returned his attention to his detectives. “Now I know the two of you are dealing with lot what with this Sentinel and Guide business.”

Jim and Blair exchanged quick glances.

“However…I expect the two of you to remain professional while on the job!” Simon snarled. “Do the two of you have any idea how much interference I run for the both of you!?”

“Captain, we appreciate everything…”

“Don’t interrupt me, Sandburg!” He glared at Jim. “And stop growling at me, Ellison!”

“Stop growling, Jim,” Blair hissed.

“Actually, I don’t mind running interference because the two of you are excellent detectives and a credit to this profession,” Simon continued. “I have no problem running interference for anyone in this department as long as they follow the rules and get the job done!”

“Captain Banks…”

Simon glared at the telephone and jabbed the intercom button. “Not now, Rhonda!” He looked back at the two men sitting on the other side of his desk. “I completely understand how…emotions can run high after a tense situation. And that shoot-out today was tense. But you do not drag your partner off to a corner and…embrace!”

“Captain, I…” Jim glared at Blair’s foot which had violently connected with his ankle.

“What Jim means is that you’re right, Captain,” Blair interrupted. “We were wrong, and it won’t happen again.”

“I saw Sandburg take that bullet in the chest, Captain,” Jim brusquely explained.

“And you conveniently forgot Sandburg was wearing Kevlar, didn’t you, Detective?” Simon barked.

“Yes, sir,” Jim slowly admitted. “I did.”

“I don’t need anyone pointing fingers and demanding that I split the two of you up because they think you’re sleeping with one another!” Simon yelled. “Sandburg is starting to make a place for himself here, Ellison! I would think you’d keep that in mind!”

“Yes, sir.” Jim’s voice was rigid. “I…was wrong.”

“You’re damn right you were wrong,” Simon sighed. “It’s understandable…Sentinel checking on his Guide…but you were wrong.”

Jim nodded.

“Captain Banks!”

Simon swore under his breath and jabbed his finger on the intercom button. “What the hell is it, Rhonda?! I told you…”

“Captain, you left your intercom button on…again.”

Simon’s office was deathly quiet for five seconds. Then Simon’s dark eyes moved from the intercom button to the closed door of his office then to his two detectives.

Jim rubbed a hand over his face and looked at his partner.

Blair’s blue eyes were as wide as possible. “Oh, shit,” he softly groaned.

“Thank you, Rhonda,” Simon quietly spoke. He deliberately pushed the intercom button. After a couple of seconds, he spoke, “Rhonda?” Getting no answer, he sighed. Then he turned his attention back to the other men. “Are we clear about your actions today, gentlemen?”

“Yes, sir.” Both men spoke at the same time.

“And it won’t ever happen again, will it?”

“No, sir.” Again, two voices answered at the same time.

“Good.” Simon nodded in satisfaction. He cleared his throat. “Now…as to other business.” He cleared his throat again. “I apologize for not making sure the intercom was turned off. What can I do to make it up?”

“We either trust our co-workers or we don’t,” Jim slowly spoke. He saw both Blair and Simon looking at him in surprise. “I think it’s time, Chief. They need to know.”

Blair hesitated then slowly nodded.

Simon grunted and walked to his office door. Opening it, he bellowed, “TAGGART! BROWN! RAFE! CONNOR! MY OFFICE!” He lowered his voice, “Rhonda, would you please join us?”

Rhonda masked a smile and pleasantly nodded.

When everyone was in Simon’s office, he closed the door. Walking back to his desk, he automatically glanced at his phone then looked up to see the twinkle in Rhonda’s eyes. He cleared his throat yet again, and spoke.

“I wish to apologize to all of you. The conversation I was having with Ellison and Sandburg was private. It was my fault that the intercom was still on. That was a breach of confidentiality on my part, and I want to assure all of you that it will never happen again.”

“We understand,” Joel Taggart calmly nodded. “I’m sure whatever might have been overheard has already been forgotten.” He managed to stare at all the younger members of the group at one time yet not look at any one of them.

Simon envied Taggart’s skill in doing that.

“Very well. Having said that, there will be an informal gathering at Ellison and Sandburg’s loft this evening at 6:30pm to discuss certain matters which may or may not have been overheard. Sandburg will be making his ostrich chili. Ellison will provide the drinks. Everyone else bring a covered dish.”

“I’ll coordinate that, Captain,” Rhonda quickly spoke up. She had a vision of everyone bringing rolls.

Simon nodded. “Let me know I need to bring.” He glanced at his watch. “Sandburg, you’re out of here. I’ll mark you down for special duty this afternoon.” When Blair started to protest, Simon held up his hand. “I think you have more to prepare than ostrich chili.”

Blair took a deep breath and nodded.

“Keep the presentation to thirty minutes if you please,” Simon requested. He glanced at the others. “There will be a Q&A session afterwards,” he promised. “I do not expect any office gossip as a result of today. Do I make myself clear? It will be business as usual.”

“But, Captain, we’ve always ragged Hairboy about his dates and love life,” Henri protested.

Jim slowly turned his head to stare at Henri.

Henri quickly spoke. “No ragging Hairboy about his dates or his love life. Got it, sir.”

Brian Rafe silently patted his partner’s arm in sympathy.

“Very well. Sandburg, get out of here. Everyone else. Back to work.” Simon hesitated. “Uh…Rhonda, could you stay behind for a moment?”

“Of course, Captain.”

Once Simon’s door was closed, Megan Connor snickered, “I do believe the Captain is eating a bit of crow in there.”

Joel smiled and gently urged her away from the closed door. He waited until Jim and Blair had exchanged a few quiet words then walked to Jim’s desk as Blair left the office. “Jim?” He waited until the other man turned to look at him. “If it’s any consolation, I don’t think this was any big revelation to any of us.”

Jim’s eyes slightly narrowed. “Really?”

“We’re detectives,” Joel reminded him. “Good ones actually. We may not know what things are called…” he chuckled. “I’m sure Blair will have more than a few words to cover that tonight, though.” He patted Jim’s arm. “I wouldn’t worry.”

“Thanks, Joel.” Jim nodded and sat down to finish the paperwork on his desk. He glanced up in a few seconds when Rhonda quietly exited Simon’s office, gently closing the door behind her. She gave him a comforting smile and returned to her own desk.

Jim covertly glanced at each of his co-workers. Joel was reviewing papers on his desk. Megan was on the phone complaining again to the IT department about her computer. Rafe was flipping a coin with Henri to determine who was going to make a run to Starbucks.

Jim slowly relaxed. Maybe it wasn’t so big a revelation as he’d thought.

end