Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 5 of Family
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,550
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
20
Hits:
1,225

A Thursday to Remember

Summary:

Adam Rossi in the lion's den aka the BAU -- #5 in Family series

Work Text:

He shook the snow out of his coat and hat and sat on the edge of his seat in the public waiting area. He looked around, but wasn’t really paying that much attention to his surroundings. Then he stared at the carpet. He bit his lip and ran a hand through his thick salt and pepper hair.

“Mr. Rossi,” a female voice greeted.

Adam Rossi started. He was a few years older than Dave. He was a couple inches shorter but had the same body type. His hair was more salt than pepper and his eyes were hazel instead of brown. He was clean shaven and dressed neatly in black slacks and white polo shirt. He stood. “Yes, ma’am.”

She took a moment to look him and down but her smile didn’t waver. She held her hand out. “I’m Agent Emily Prentiss. Nice to meet you.”

Adam shook her hand. “Nice to meet you too.”

Emily tilted her head to the side. “Dave got caught on the phone. He asked me to come down and get you.”

Adam did his best to ignore the feeling of being studied. “Okay.”

“Come on. I’ll take you up.”

Adam grabbed his coat and followed her to the elevator. He shifted nervously from one foot to the other. His hands were balled into his fists under his coat.

Emily gave him an encouraging smile. “It’s okay. No one here is going to bite you.”

Adam snorted. “I can’t imagine that Dave’s had much good to say about me.”

Emily sighed. “He hasn’t really mentioned you much.”

“That’s not a bad thing.”

Emily shrugged. “It takes two to make a fight.”

Adam shook his head. “It’s been more of a cold war with us.” One end of his mouth quirked up. “Esperanza says it’s time we tear down our own wall.”

“Your wife?”

This time Adam’s smile was genuine and reached his eyes. “Yes.”

The elevator came to a stop and the doors opened. Emily stepped out. She frowned when he hesitated. “Come on. You’re almost there.”

Adam stuck his head out and looked from side to side. “Where’s Agent Morgan?” he whispered.

Emily arched an eyebrow. “Teaching a class at the academy.”

“Okay.” Adam blew out a long breath. “Good.” He made himself step off the elevator.

“Have you met him yet?”

“No. It’s just been me and Dave so far.”

“I see,” Emily replied in mild amusement.

Adam swallowed. “I’m almost afraid to.”

“They’re close, but Morgan’s a fair guy and he has sisters. He knows what it’s like to want to throttle someone you love.” Emily gave Adam another encouraging smile and led the way through the glass doors of the BAU. She took Adam’s coat. She nodded to the stairs leading up. “Second door on the right.”

Adam wiped his sweaty hands on his pants. He nodded once to himself. He climbed the stairs slowly and steadily. He hesitated outside Dave’s office door and then knocked softly.

“Come in,” Dave called.

Adam opened the door and went in just as Dave flipped his cell phone closed. “Hey,” he greeted cautiously.

Dave sat behind his desk. He matched Adam’s tone. “Hey.”

Adam shut the door. He kept his back to Dave. “This is an impressive place,” he said with forced lightness.

Dave chuckled. “The BAU’s come a long way.”

Adam took a deep breath and turned to face Dave. He managed a half smile. “Yeah, I remember you complaining about being in a dungeon when all this started.”

“It was a dungeon,” Dave maintained.

Adam just shot Dave a look reminiscent of when he was fifteen and Dave was twelve and trying to bullshit him. “You loved it.”

Dave laughed. “Yeah, I did.”

Adam opened his mouth but nothing else came out. He slipped his hands into his pockets. He looked around the office, anywhere but at Dave. “Got the tickets?”

“We just have to pick them up at the will call window.”

“I can’t believe you got us rink side seats.”

“For the Blackhawks and Caps. Would you expect anything less?” Dave smirked. “Besides, I know a guy,”

Adam rolled his eyes. “Sure you do.”

“But we’ve got some time.” Dave stood and came around to the front of the desk. He gestured to the couch against the wall. “Would you like to sit down?”

“Sure.”

Adam chose one end of the couch and Dave the other. Adam sat with his back straight, facing ahead. Dave half turned to watch Adam’s profile. “It’ll be okay, Adam,” he said quietly.

Adam’s voice was tight. “Will it?” He leaned forward and rested with his forearms on his knees. “I don’t know what to do.”

“I was hoping for dinner and hockey,” Dave said lightly. “What’s wrong with that?”

“That’s not what I meant and you know it.”

Dave sobered instantly. “Do you really want to do this now?”

“No, but I don’t want to keep running from it either. I don’t want it to keep us from what we’re trying to do now.” Adam grunted. “I wasted so much time being mad at you and mad at myself.”

“Yeah, well there was a time when I just wanted to punch you instead of look at you,” Dave admitted freely.

“I wanted you to hit me.”

“Why?”

Adam bowed his head. He ran both hands through his hair and interlaced his fingers behind his neck. He squeezed his eyes shut. “Because,” he muttered. “Because I wanted the family to stop seeing you as the good son.”

“Me?” Dave asked in surprise. “If there’s anyone who’s a black sheep of the family, it’s me. I’m not the devout Catholic family man.”

Adam slowly raised his head and finally met Dave’s gaze. “I wasn’t either back then. I had more than my fair share of flings.”

Dave sighed. “At least you haven’t failed at marriage three times and you don’t live in sin every day.”

“Don’t tell me anyone has tried to pull that crap with you,” Adam growled.

Dave waved that off. “Just crazy Aunt Lily and Gino’s taken care of it.”

“Good.” Adam paused and his voice took on a tinge of wonder. “I never thought I’d get married until Esperanza. She’s everything I never thought I could have.” He swallowed but his throat was dry. He didn’t look away. “But this isn’t about her. And the fact remains that you were there for Mama at the end. You were strong enough to let her go when I couldn’t.”

Dave blinked and wiped his eyes. “She never held it against you.”

“But you did,” Adam stated plainly, without any rancor.

Dave jumped to his feet and went to stand by the window. He kept his back to Adam. He hugged his arms across his chest. He kept his voice neutral. “Things were really starting to get ugly with Liz and Mama was having more bad days than good ones. There were some days that she didn’t even recognize me.”

“You never told me that.”

“You didn’t want to hear it,” Dave retorted, but he sounded more weary than angry. “I felt like everything was piling up on me and I was alone.”

“Dave, I…” Adam’s voice trailed off at a loss.

“I held one of her hands…” Dave said dully, “…and Gino the other when she slipped away.”

Adam went to stand next to Dave. He chanced touching Dave’s shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

Dave glared at Adam but didn’t shake him off. “And then you came home and blamed me in front of everyone.”

Adam winced. “I know. I know I was wrong, but I had to blame somebody. I was so drunk and I forgot how much you were hurting too.”

For the first time, Dave raised his voice. “I needed you, damn it!”

“I know!” Adam shouted back. “And I’m sorry!”

Dave’s spark of temper died as quickly as it flared. He nodded at Adam. “Me too,” he said earnestly.

Adam let out the breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding. “So, what do you say we forgive each other and move on?”

“I say it’s worth a shot.” Dave went behind his desk. He took two glasses and an expensive bottle of scotch out of his bottom drawer. He poured them each a drink and handed one to Adam. “To moving on.”

Adam clinked his glass to Dave’s. “And to Mama’s memory.” He downed the drink and hummed appreciatively. He set the glass down on Dave’s desk. “So,” he tried nonchalantly. “Is Derek coming with us tonight?”

Dave smiled. “No. I don’t think any of us are ready for that, although Derek’s mother, Fran, invited you and your family to her place for Christmas.”

Adam’s jaw dropped. “Really?”

Dave’s smile didn’t waver. “I told you it would be too much too soon, but I said I’d ask.”

Adam shook his head. “We can’t. We’ll be spending the holidays with Esperanza’s family down in Miami.” He studied Dave for a long moment and a slow, knowing smile crossed his face. “His family’s adopted you and you’re ecstatic about it.”

“I love him and I love them,” Dave answered simply.

Adam’s smile turned into a full fledged toothy grin. “And I can see it. Maybe it won’t be so bad meeting him after all.”

Series this work belongs to: