Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
308
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
17
Hits:
613

No Sparrow Swings

Summary:

There was one time in Jack's adult life that he thought his father might actually genuinely care for him.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

No Sparrow Swings
by Pirate Turner

 

        There was one time in Jack's adult life that he thought his father might actually genuinely care for him. It had happened on one of those rare occasions when both he and Gibbs had been caught and taken to the gallows. Ropes had tightened around their necks, and it was the one time that neither Jack's swift actions nor cunning mind could free them. Yet, as the ropes had been cut, a shot had rang out, slicing both ropes and freeing them.

        He might not have thought twice about it except that he didn't have many friends at that time -- indeed, the only one he did have was swinging next to him -- and his father's gun had a very particular sound. It was a unique weapon, having been made especially for the elder Captain Sparrow, and there was no other pistol that sounded exactly like it across the seven seas. Sure enough, when Jack had looked through the audience, his dark eyes had met with another pair of frightened, dark orbs.

        His father had ran, however, even as the guards had chased Gibbs and himself. By the time they'd reached dock, his father was already sailing away without them. He had saved their lives but managed, yet again, to avoid his only true blood son. Jack didn't have time to think about it then as he finished their escape, but he would ponder the situation and the fear he'd witnessed in his eyes many times over before he again met his father. The next time would be another ten years later, and again, as he always did, his father would avoid all serious conversation, leaving his son to wonder if he cared for him a whit or simply wanted to make sure that no Sparrow, by name or blood, swung.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.