Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
10,152
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
649

Family

Summary:

Jeff takes Hilary to Hawaii to visit his brother and try to reconcile their marriage. They are caught in the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:


Family
By Michele Savage

Friday, November 28, 1941

Hilary walked into the green room after the Bedside Manor broadcast and smothered a yawn. She walked to the hotplate and poured herself a cup of coffee. While stirring the cream and sugar into the cup she sat blindly in the nearest empty chair.

She moved to set the cup down, and noticed a pile of papers in front of her. Assuming someone had been sitting there, she started to move, but, got a good look at the items and stayed.

"Jeffrey Jeffrey Jeffrey, what am I going to do with you." she whispered. She glanced toward the studio where he was introducing Colonel Moore, and would be walking through the doors in a few seconds. She picked up the top note. Just a simple white sheet of paper with the word 'please' written in his handwriting. It lay across the top of a single red rosebud. She picked up the flower and brought it to her nose, inhaling the soft fragrant scent.

She noted the rose had been laying across a pair of -- plane tickets? The green room door opened and she glanced up to see Jeff slinking into the room with an almost expectant guilty look on his face. She quirked an eyebrow at his expression then looked back down to the tickets."What is this?" she deadpanned.

"It's me on my knees begging." Jeff pulled a chair close to Hilary and sat.

"I prefer the full effect."

Jeff rolled his eyes, "Ok, is this better?" He moved to his knees in front of her and took her hand. "Darling please, this opportunity came up and I took it for two reasons."

"What opportunity?" Hilary interrupted, a tinge of confusion in her voice.

"My brother's ship is in port at Pearl Harbor for the next few weeks. He's flying Claire in and they would like for us to drop by for a visit."

Hilary raised an eyebrow, "Drop by? Do we have time for a trip that far?"

"I talked to Scott," He explained moving back into the chair, "and he let us have two weeks. That will be plenty of time counting the two days flying time to get there."

She took a deep breath and sat back against the chair and regarded him, "Do I really want to be trapped in an airplane with you for two days?"

She sat dorward again, "Wait, you said two reasons. What's the other one?"

Jeff leaned forward and lay a gentle hand on her cheek, "Hilary, I love you. I know I hurt you badly, and we've been all through that, but I want us to try to get our marriage back together. I thought if we got away from here for a while maybe we could do that."

She lay her hand over his, nodded softly and admitted quietly, "I would like to try."

Surprise registered on Jeff's face, "Do you mean it?"

Hilary looked at him, and smiled half-heartedly at the excitement written all over his face. It was that youthful exuberance that made her fall in love with him in the first place, and that same trait that nearly cost him--them, everything. And it is that very same zest for life that she realized she didn't want to live without. "Yes. I mean it," she answered his question sincerely.

He pulled her eagerly into a hug, "Thank you, Mittens. Thank you."

*

Sunday, November 30, 1941

The two day flight was long and very tiring. After changing planes several times before boarding the final plane that would take them to Oahu, both Hilary and Jeff were exhausted. Jeff sat in the seat closest to the window and stared out at the expansive Pacific ocean they were currently
flying over. Hilary lay sleeping in the seats next to him, her head pillowed on his leg. He absently drifted his hand along her upper arm, glad more than anything, that she was finally giving him a chance to be her husband again.

He looked down at her as she slept. She was beautiful. Her hair, only slightly mussed of course, framed her face. He brushed a wayward tendril away from her mouth and she sighed softly in her slumber.

"I promise you Mrs. Singer," he whispered, "I'm never leaving your side again." He squeezed her arm slightly, lay back himself, and drifted to sleep.

An hour later, the passengers were informed of the impending arrival in Honolulu and were told to prepare for the landing. Hilary had redone her hair and make-up and was back to her sparkling self. She was looking forward to finally meeting Anthony Singer. Anthony was five years older than Jeffrey and she had heard a few stories that they were quite a pair.

"Oh, I guess I should tell you," Jeff hesitated, "Tony's wife Claire is my ex-fianc e."

Hilary glanced sidelong at Jeff and quirked an eyebrow, "Oh, really? And when did this happen?"

"High school. Claire and I dated all through school." He explained, "We planned to get married the summer after graduation."

"What stopped you?" Hilary asked, confused.

"Me." Jeff admitted, "Two weeks before the wedding, I realized that I was doing the wrong thing and left."

"Left?" Surprise registered in her voice, "As in just left? Jeffrey that's not like you."

"I know." He admitted, "and I'm not real proud of myself for doing it. But when you're eighteen, you do stupid things like that."

Hilary nodded in agreement to that statement. "So how did she end up married to your brother?"

"I'm guessing he was the consoler, and they fell in love," he surmised. "Part of me will always care for her and I'm glad she's happy."

"This is the first time you've seen her since you left isn't it?" Hilary asked.

"Yes, and I will admit to being more than a little nervous."

"Serves you right, you know." Hilary reminded, "When I thought you left me with no warning, I got a first hand glimpse at how she probably felt."

Their conversation was interrupted by the landing of the plane. As they debarked into the warm tropical sun, Jeff scanned the crowd of people waiting on the other side of the fence. Anthony was not hard to find. He was as tall as Jeff himself, his dark brown hair cropped regulation short
and he was wearing his Naval uniform. Claire was standing next to him, her long black hair wafting in the gentle breeze, a delicate black hat angled on her crown. He'd forgotten over the years how pretty she was. He shook off the guilty feeling that crept up as soon as he saw her, and turned to guide Hilary as she descended the final few steps from the plane.

Hilary smiled at Jeff. She was already glad they had come as she felt the problems starting to drift away. They really had needed the time away from Pittsburgh. Their last time away had been to Mexico, the second time they married or thought they'd married. Jeffrey had finally been able to wrangle out of his marriage to Pavla. Hilary knew that they could get remarried at any time, but she still hadn't given him a positive answer to the proposal he'd been making at least once a day. She felt he deserved to suffer a bit more, even though it was obvious what her answer would be.

They walked with the rest of the passengers across the tarmac and through the open chain-linked gate. Anthony and Claire had moved away from the crowd to greet them.

"Hey little Jeffy!" Anthony hugged his brother tightly, "It's been too long, baby brother."

"Yeah, it has, 'Tone." Jeff replied, returning the joyful hug. "Everyday life has a tendency to be busy."

"Yeah it can be, mister radio star brother of mine." Anthony stood straight and clapped his brother on the shoulder.

"Oh, I wouldn't go that far." Jeff refuted.

"Wouldn't go that far? Hell Jeff, I heard your broadcasts from London." Anthony mentioned. "I was real proud of you, baby brother. Real proud."

"Thanks." Jeff said a bit quieter, his time in London not being a memory he cherished.

When Anthony mentioned London, Hilary stepped closer to Jeff and lay a comforting hand on his arm.

Anthony caught the brief look that passed between Jeff and the woman he'd assumed was his brother's wife. He gathered it was a good time to change the subject. "So, are we just going to stand here and let the women be rudely un-greeted?" He moved to extend his hand for Hilary to
take, "I'm Anthony, you must be Hilary." He dropped a polite kiss on the back of her hand.

As Hilary introduced herself with her usual aplomb to his brother, Jeff moved to awkwardly acknowledge Claire. He didn't know what to say to her. She sensed his dilemma and pulled him into a tight embrace.

"It's okay Jeffrey," she whispered, "I forgave you long ago."

"Thank you Claire, I needed to hear that."

"I thought you might." She pulled away, "So, are you going to introduce me to the woman who finally did catch you?"

Jeff laughed, feeling much more comfortable thanks to her breaking the ice. "Oh, I don't know. If I get you two together you might start comparing notes."

Claire gave a suggestive grin and ran a finger lightly over his jaw bone, "Maybe we might." She walked toward Hilary who was still talking to Anthony.

"Why does that worry me." Jeff mumbled as he followed her.

"Probably because it should." She threw over her shoulder.

Jeff clamped his mouth shut to prevent him from saying anything else. He'd forgotten about Claire's near precision hearing. He stepped up his pace so he could reach Hilary before Claire did. Jeff stepped beside his own wife, and put his arm comfortably around her back

"Hilary darling, this is Claire," he introduced, "Claire--" he was interrupted when Hilary pushed out of his arm and finished her own introduction. As he had been afraid she would.

"I'm Hilary Booth and I'm sure we have plenty of things to talk about."

Claire laughed at the look of doom on Jeff's face. "Yes, we certainly do." She put an arm conspiratorially around Hilary's shoulders and led her off toward the baggage pick-up area.

Anthony walked beside his brother and clapped a sympathetic hand on his back. "Ya brought this one on your self, Jeffy." He said with a humorous twinkle in his eye.

"Thank you for your support, Tony. Really." Jeff sarcastically told his brother as they followed the ladies.

*

Anthony had everyone settled in an elegant hotel that overlooked Ford Island. He'd heard rumors that his ship could be sent to Guam if the Japanese attacked there. In case that happened and he was called back to duty, he needed to be as close as possible. As it was his leave was supposed to last for four weeks. Plenty of time to visit with Jeff and his wife Hilary, and more to visit with his own wife whom he hadn't seen in nearly a year thanks to the fighting in Europe.

*
Later that evening the two couples dined at a seaside restaurant that Anthony recommended highly. They sat at a round table on an outside courtyard and reminisced about old times.

"--and I was stuck in that tree for an hour, screaming at Jeff who stood under the tree laughing at me," Claire explained humorously, "and probably looking up my skirt!"

"Me?" Jeff feigned shock, "I would never do that. I am a gentleman." He turned a chiding glance at Hilary who'd audibly smirked at his defensive statement. "Well. Not now anyway."

Hilary gave Jeff a bemused smile, "No comment."

Jeff matched her look with one of his own, and then turned again to the conversation at hand, "So who's fault was it that you were in that tree in the first place."

Claire laughed, "Okay, so it was my fault I was in that tree. But you could have helped me down rather than stand under it laughing at me."

"Yeah, I could have." He admitted, "But then I'd have missed that view."

Claire took an across the table swipe at Jeff with her napkin.

After the round of laughter died down, Anthony leaned forward to address Hilary, "Let me tell you about the time I snuck Jeffy here into a speakeasy." He looked at Jeff, "You were what? Twelve?"

"I don't think Hilary needs to hear this." Jeffrey protested with a grin.

Hilary smiled and patted Jeff on the knee, "Nonsense Pumpkin, Hilary would love to hear this."

Anthony laughed and continued with his story, "Mom was furious at me. Well us, but, mostly me because I got her baby into trouble."

"You did get me in trouble."

"So what happened?" Hilary prompted.

"I was seventeen at the time and was going to meet a current girlfriend, and Jeff here followed me. Rather than send him home, I figured ah what the heck and brought him with me." Tony explained, "He got in there and charmed a drink out of nearly every woman in the place. He
nearly had a date for the night, till I, the ever protective big brother, stepped in and opened my mouth. I told the woman he was chatting up that he was only twelve."

"Of course all hell broke loose," Tony continued amidst laughter, "and we both ended up in a jail cell. Jeff was so drunk he barely knew what day it was and he had the giggles. He'd just look at me and start laughing. Mom was livid!"

Jeff jumped into the conversation, "I don't think I've ever had a worst summer. Mom put us both on strict lawn patrol. Of course, Tony here took the easy way out. Made me mow that lawn while he weeded the garden."

Hilary wiped the tears from her laughter away, "Darling, I think I'm learning more about you than you probably care for me to."

"Yes, and you'll probably use it to every advantage won't you, Hilary darling?"

Hilary only had time for a sly grin as the waiter came by and took their plates, then asked if they would like dessert. They all four ordered a bowl of pineapple ice cream. While they waited, Claire stood and explained that she was going to powder her nose and asked Hilary if she'd
like to accompany her.

Moments later, they sat on the couch in the lounge portion of the ladies room, discussing the many similarities of the Singer brothers. When Claire mentioned the moments that Anthony could easily charm a cobra out of a basket without the flute, Hilary remarked, "I see it runs in the family."

Claire rolled her eyes, "Boy, does it! They used to have this routine going. One of them would sweet talk you into pretty much anything and then is gone before you knew what happened, and then the other one would come in and sweep you off your feet." She chuckled, "and of course, I
fell for it. Hook, line and Singer."

Hilary smiled faintly. "Jeffrey do that a lot?" She asked, her own recent heartache creeping up to haunt her.

"Jeff?" Claire asked surprised, "Oh no. Usually it was Tony doing the breaking and Jeff doing the sweeping. That's why it came as such a complete shock when he left me." The younger woman explained, then noticed the suddenly distant look on the other woman's face. "Did he do something like this to you?"

Hilary sat straight. She hadn't realized she'd let her feelings show that plainly. She took a deep breath and thought of a way to try and refute the observation. Instead, she found herself pouring her heart out to a woman who just a few hours ago had been a complete stranger to her. She felt somewhat of a kinship with Claire and had immediately liked her, no matter how much she'd not wanted to when she first heard of her past with Jeffrey.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to spill all that onto you." Hilary apologized after realizing she'd just explained to Claire the last miserable year of her life.

"But he came back to you." Claire reminded, "A blind person can tell by the way he dotes on you that he loves you. He was never that attentive with me."

"I know he does." Hilary replied then smiled wanting to lighten the suddenly somber mood, "I think I have finally strung him along enough.

Now, I can let him back into my good graces. Besides, I've missed him."

Claire laughed. "So how did the two of you meet?"

Hilary gave her a humored chuckle then stood. "I needed a leading man for a stage show. He fit the bill." She winked at Claire and then walked out of the lounge.

*

Saturday, December 6, 1941

The week had been quite pleasant. Hilary had enjoyed getting to know a part of Jeff's family and she and Claire had gotten along very well. Mid week though, Tony had been called back to duty. He had assured them that it was probably nothing, but the Navy had wanted the men to be at their posts and ready should the need arise.

The four of them had gone for dinner and dancing that evening, and had a wonderful time. Claire and Tony had left earlier while Jeff and Hilary had stayed for more dancing. Soon they too were ready for some time alone.

After leaving the club, Jeff and Hilary walked hand in hand across the cool sand of the beach. The moon was high in the clear sky. Stars sparkled brightly. They came upon a large black lava rock that jutted slightly into the ocean, waves lapping against it gracefully.

Hilary sat on the edge of the rock near it's point, her feet propped on a natural shelf the sea water had carved into the lava. She breathed a contented sigh. She crossed her arms against her and leaned forward, her elbows resting on her upper legs.

Jeff sat behind her. "You cold?" He asked, rubbing her bare arms. She wore a dark blue halter dress and he'd worried about her catching a chill.

"No," she answered. "I'm relaxed. I don't think I've been this ... relaxed since before you went to London."

Jeff enveloped her into his arms, and leaned his forehead against the back of her head. "I shouldn't have gone. It was stupid of me."

Hilary turned and draped an arm around Jeff's waist, "Well, the whole Pabulum mess aside, you did do some good in helping Victor. Anthony was right, your broadcasts were very riveting."

"You listened to my broadcasts?" He asked her, surprised.

She smiled softly, "Of course. " She glanced away, "No matter how angry or hurt I was, there were some nights when I just needed to hear your voice."

He cupped her chin lightly and kissed her tenderly. He held her tightly and assured her, for the millionth time, that he was sorry he'd put her through all that.

"That's in the past," Hilary reminded. "Why don't we go back to our room and enjoy the rest of the evening.

He pressed a kiss on her shoulder, "Sounds like a good plan to me."

*

Sunday, December 7, 1941 (Honolulu)

Jeff lay sleeping wrapped in Hilary's arms and a sheet. The whistling of bombs invaded his pleasant dream. He stirred and pulled himself awake. Once he was fully aware, he realized that the sounds had not come from a dream, but from-- "Oh, my god." He flew from the bed, his
quick movements waking Hilary.

"What's happening?" She asked still half asleep.

"My worst nightmare." He threw the dress she wore the previous night at her, while pulling his own clothes on. "Get dressed, we need to get out of here."

Quickly she slipped into the dress. "Where are we going to go?" She asked, fear in her voice.

"I don't know, but we've--" his words were interrupted when the window behind Hilary shattered after a loud burst.

She screamed and ducked to the floor. Jeff was immediately at her side. "Hilary! Are you all right?" He checked over her for any injury.

"Yes, I'm okay. It just frightened me." She assured.

He held her tightly, thankful she was unhurt. "Darling, we've got to get out of here."

She started to crawl toward the door but was stopped when he grabbed her arm tightly asking her to wait. "What?"

"I love you." Jeff put a hand against her cheek, "no matter what happens, remember that. I love you."

She put her hand over his, "I love you too, Pumpkin." She leaned and kissed him.

They were pulled back into the moment by the rapid knocking on their door. Jeff stood holding tight to Hilary's hand and answered it to find a frantic Claire.

"The Japanese are bombing the base!" She said rapidly as Jeff pushed her back into the hallway among the other guests rushing about trying to make sense of the chaos. Ushering Hilary out of the room and then following her himself, he shut the door.

"Jeff ... the ships! Everything is burning. " She paused trying to reign in her emotion, "Tony."

"Tony's probably okay, Claire. Let's just worry about us for the time being." He grabbed her hand and Hilary's with his other. "Don't let go! Let's just get out of here."

They rushed down the hall and to the front door. The street was filled with people running every which way, trying to get to any sort of shelter. Some people stood and stared morbidly, as if they couldn't believe what was happening.

"It looks like they are just concentrating on the base." Jeff yelled to the women above the din. He turned left out of the building and headed inland. "If we go away from the base, we can try to find someplace to take cover."

"Why not stay inside the building?" Hilary asked. "Wouldn't that be safer?"

"The hotel is too close. It could easily get hit." He explained. "I've been trapped once. I don't want it to happen again." He faced his wife with worried eyes, "And I never want it to happen to you."

He started moving again, and suddenly they found themselves in a thick crowd of people with the same idea.

Hilary followed Jeff, clenching his hand tightly. She couldn't imagine going through this every day the way Jeffrey had in London. Someone slammed into her side and she lost her footing, and her hold on Jeff. She fell hard and then someone stepped on her hand. She cursed and quickly rose to her feet, her hip protesting painfully. "That will be a lovely bruise" she muttered under her breath. She reached for Jeff, and realized he wasn't there. She searched the crowd for him.

"Jeff!" She walked forward in the direction they had been walking. "Jeffrey!" The more she rearched and didn't find him, the more frightened and worried she got. This was not a good time to get separated.

Jeff felt Hilary be pulled out of his grasp. He turned quickly, "Hilary!"

Claire stopped when he did, "What's wrong?"

"She's gone." Jeff answered, "I've got to find her." He searched the crowds frantically. She couldn't have disappeared that quickly. He called her name over and over, hoping she'd hear him.

Claire scanned the people as well, looking for any sign of her. What she did see would be indelibly burned in her mind for the rest of her life. Every ship in the harbor was either a broken shell, or burning. She closed her eyes and prayed Tony was all right, but she knew-- something in her knew that he wasn't. She then noticed a group of planes break formation and begin to fly their way. She pulled at Jeff's arm, "Jeff we have to move. Now!"

"No!" he objected, "I've got to find Hilary!"

She pulled him against her as hard as she could. "We've got to get out of here, now!" She pointed to the planes. Holding him by the shirt she pulled him out of the crowd and ducked under a nearby strand of bushes.

Hilary saw the planes heading closer and searched desperately for any resemblance of shelter. She followed a group of women into a nearby store to wait out the attack. Once things calmed down, she was sure she'd find Jeffrey.

*

(Pittsburgh)

 

Betty Roberts was catching up on next week's scripts, when the teletype machine behind her began to ding frantically. She quirked her eyebrows in confusion. She'd just picked up the noon news an hour ago, unless something major happened the next brief shouldn't be for another two
hours.

She turned and pulled the short message off the machine and felt her blood go cold. "Scott." She said quietly. Then ran quickly out of the room, 'Scott!"

He opened his office door with a worried look, "What?"

Betty handed him the newsflash. He scanned through the news. "Oh, Betty. We're in it now." He looked at her again. "We gotta get this on the air." He turned and rushed through the studio doors.

He pushed his way to an empty microphone and read the bulletin. Once that was read, he assured the public that they would be updating them with the news as quickly as it arrived. He then put on some old recordings of Calico Jones and left the studio. The weekend cast gathered in the green room around the radio to listen for the reports themselves.

Scott walked out of the studio and grabbed Betty's arm, "Hey Betty. Isn't Jeff's brother Tony on the Oklahoma?"

She looked quickly at Scott. With the shock of the report, she'd forgotten completely about Jeff and Hilary. "They're in the middle of this."

*
(Honolulu)

Hilary no longer heard the planes, so she tentatively moved from her cover underneath a counter in the grocery store she'd ducked into. She noticed an elderly woman cowering beneath a shelf a few feet behind her. She crouched beside the woman and assuringly lay her hands on her arms. The poor woman was shaking like a leaf. "It's okay. They seem to have stopped." she told her quietly.

 

The woman turned frightened eyes toward Hilary and soon smiled at the comforting expression she wore. "Thank you, dear." She replied when Hilary helped her to her feet and walked with her out into the eerily smoky sunshine.

"Do you have someplace to go?" Hilary asked her.

"Yes, I was just taking a stroll when ... oh, my heavens!" She said when she noticed the black smoke pouring into the sky from the harbor. "Those poor boys."

Hilary followed her gaze and saw for herself the burning rubble that had just last night, been lit up proudly. She thought of Jeff's brother, and hoped he was all right. Jeffrey. She glanced around at the people slowly coming back into the street. She searched but still didn't see him.

The woman pulled out of her gentle grasp, "I should go back home. My children are probably worried about me. You'll be okay?" she asked.

"Yes, I'll be fine." Hilary reassured her. "As soon as I find my husband."

"Good luck to you." the woman said before walked off toward a residential area.

Hilary decided to walk toward the hotel, then realized she couldn't even see it. How turned around had she gotten in that crowd, she wondered. She must have been pushed much farther away from Jeff by the flow of the people. She turned to walk in the direction of the smoke. That at least would take her closer to the hotel.

She'd walked for about five minutes before being stopped by the sounds of more planes. She recognized the sound. They were coming again. Hilary quickly searched around for someplace to duck into, when she saw a group of women being ushered by a policeman into a building.

She ran to the group and followed the ladies into what she noticed was a shelter. She breathed a sigh of relief. At least here she could rest, get something to eat and drink, and try to locate Jeff.

*

Jeff heard the second wave of planes coming in and pulled Claire back under the bush they had found shelter in. He was concerned about Hilary's safety and he knew that Claire was worried about Tony. He too hoped his brother had survived. Just before taking shelter in here he'd
seen the fires start. The ships looked like broken toys. He knew without a doubt that this meant war for his country.

The second bombing attack wasn't as long as the first one, when the sky silenced again, Jeff pulled Claire out from their hiding place, and walked with her toward the hotel. Hopefully Hilary had come this way too.

Once they got close enough to get a good view of the harbor, Claire gasped. "Jeff, I don't see Tony's ship."

"Maybe he was able to abandon ship in time." Jeff told her in what he hoped was an encouraging tone. He didn't feel at all encouraged by what he saw. How could anyone have survived that? "Come on, Claire. Let's see if we can get into the hotel. Maybe Hilary went back there."

They arrived at the hotel and found that no one was being allowed back in. It had suffered some structural damage from being so near to the repeated explosions. The management had set up a temporary location for the guests and both Jeff and Claire got onto the bus to be taken there.

*

Hilary found an empty spot against the wall and sat on the floor. She ate what little of the stale donut she could. She kept watch at the line by the phone. She wanted to try to call the hotel. Hopefully Jeff was there.

She saw the line filter down and walked over to the telephone to wait for the next couple of people and then took her turn. Hilary dialed the hotel and hung up dejectedly when the operator informed her that the hotel had been damaged in the attack and was closed. "How am I going to
find him now?" she asked herself.

Hilary handed the phone to the next person in line and started to walk back to her spot by the wall. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a little girl crying. She looked to be about twelve and was clearly of Japanese descent.

She walked over to the girl, crouched to her level and said softly, "You look as though you have a problem."

"I'm lost. My mother went into the crowd and I couldn't see her anymore."

Hilary smiled, "Let me tell you a secret," she lowered her voice to a conspiratory whisper, "I'm lost too."

The little girl brightened, having found a friend. Hilary stood and took her hand. "Why don't we be lost together." They walked hand in hand back to a clear spot on the floor to sit. Hilary heard a couple of the women scoff as they walked past. She turned a glaring eye to them, led
the child to the wall and sat with her.

"I'm Hilary. What's your name, dear." She asked.

"My name is Yoshi," she answered. "My papa is in the navy. He was on one of the ships. Mama went to look for him. She turned before I saw her and I think I walked right past her, so we got split up."

Hilary explained to her how she was separated from Jeff. Soon they had settled into a comfortable conversation. Yoshi had told her she was born in Missouri and moved to the Islands when her father was stationed at Pearl Harbor. Hilary told Yoshi about WENN and what it was like to be a radio actress.

The petite little girl, stood after a while, "I'm thirsty. Do you want a drink, Hilary?"

"Sure dear, I'd love something to drink." Hilary answered and watched as she walked to get it.

*

"Her kind shouldn't be sheltered here." One of the women who'd turned their noses up earlier commented just purposefully loud enough for Hilary to hear.

"I agree," her companion replied haughtily, "And to be so kind to her. After her people caused this travesty."

The first woman had obviously been listening to Hilary and Yoshi's conversation. She turned to the woman and whispered loudly, "Well, I heard her say she's an actress. You know what those people are like."

The second woman clucked, "Probably a sympathizer."

*

With that accusation, Hilary had had enough. She stood and calmly straightened her dress. Squaring her shoulders, she walked up to the women.

She stood over them, looking down her nose and said quietly but forcefully, "My husband survived the London Blitz. He came home with nightmares you couldn't imagine and then turned around and went back. He endured the daily bombing raids for months to help a friend who needed him." The more Hilary spoke, the angrier she got. "How dare you accuse me of sympathizing! The only sympathizing I do is for an American child who is being harassed
by a couple of snippety old ladies who have nothing better to do!"

One woman had the grace to look ashamed and the other just looked taken aback, as if she'd just been insulted.

Yoshi had come back with two glasses of cola. Hilary took a glass from her with a thank you. "Come along Yoshi." She took her hand and started to lead her.

"Where are we going?"

Hilary gave the two women one more icy glare and replied, "To the other side of the room. Where the air is much cleaner."

*

Jeff sat in a chair in the small hotel room that was provided as compensation for the other one closing. It was mid-afternoon now and the first casualty lists were going up. Claire had gone to the lobby to see if she could locate Tony by the lists. Jeff prayed his brother was alive. That was a phone call he didn't want to make to his mother. Right now his main priority was to continue to try to locate his wife.

He stared at the phone dreading to pick it up and make the next round of calls. He had called everywhere he could think of to find Hilary. At some places the phones were consistently busy, and at other's they had never heard of Hilary Booth. He smiled as the random thought occurred to him that she'd be highly insulted by that. He'd even called WENN a few times to make sure she hadn't called there.

Gertie had answered the phone, which surprised him. She wasn't usually there on Sunday. Then it dawned on him that, of course, what had happened was big news. Gertie was glad to speak to him, glad to know that he was all right. He asked if Hilary had called there, but neither Gertie,
nor anyone there, had heard from her. He hung up with the notice that he'd be calling back periodically in case she would call.

Now, Jeff thought, to the task at hand. He picked up the phone and called the first morgue on his list.

*

Hilary saw them post the casualty lists. People gathered around the lists, some wept tears of joy, others tears of sadness. She asked the little girl if she would like to see the list. She herself was worried about her brother-in-law.

"Yes, please." Yoshi answered.

Hilary put her arm around the girl's shoulders and led her to a spot near where the lists hung. They soon found an opening to squeeze through and looked for the list with the names from the latter half of the alphabet. Hilary found it and scanned through it with a quickening heart. She saw it, near the bottom of the third column.

Lieutenant Commander Anthony Pierre Singer stationed on the USS Oklahoma: killed in action.

She closed her eyes as sadness moved over her. She wished she'd gotten to know Tony sooner. She'd liked him from the start. Shaking the sadness off she turned to Yoshi. "What ship is your father on, Yoshi?"

Yoshi answered, clutching Hilary's hand, "The Arizona."

*

Jeff hung up the phone. He'd just spoken to the third funeral home and thankfully, hadn't found Hilary at any of them so far. He started to dial the next number, when the room door opened.

Claire walked in and he could see by the shaken expression on her face, that Tony had not survived.

He set the phone down and stood. He walked to her and wrapped her in his arms as she sobbed against his shoulder. He walked to the bed where they both could easily sit. He stayed strong and tried to comfort her as best he could. The next phone call he made would have to be to his mother.

*

"Did you know that Tony married me three weeks after you left?" Claire asked.

They had been sitting and talking for the last few hours. The sun had gone down in another blaze of gold, as if nothing had happened that day to reshape the world. Jeff had finished his task of calling the morgues looking for Hilary and had blessedly not found her in any of them. He'd called WENN a few more times, to no avail, and the phones at some of the shelters were still busy. Presumably people there were doing the same thing he was trying to do. Locate loved ones.

"No, I didn't." Jeff answered, "I didn't even know it was you he'd married until last year. I talked to mom and she told me."

"Why?" Claire leaned forward on the bed and took Jeff's hand. "Why did you leave me with no warning? If you weren't happy why didn't you tell me, Jeffrey? I loved you so much. I'd have understood."

He took a deep breath. "I don't know. I just realized I wasn't ready to get married. I know what I did was stupid and I should have told you. But, I was afraid. Everything did work out in the end, though."

Claire smiled weakly, "Yeah, it did. For a while anyway." She took a breath, "I'm leaving tomorrow for home. Your mother would like for you to be there too, for Tony's service. I explained to her that you'd be there when you've located your wife."

Jeff nodded. "Will you get to the airport okay tomorrow? I'm going to start checking all the shelters I couldn't get a hold of today. She's probably at one of them."

Claire hugged Jeff tightly, "I'll be fine."

*

Monday, December 8, 1941

Jeff returned to the taxi, after checking the fifth shelter. He told the driver to go closer to the hotel they had been staying at. It was the last place he'd seen her. Maybe there was a shelter near there.

He could see some of the ships still smoldering in the harbor. Not a good sight at all to him. It looked as though everything lay in ruins.

"Hey mister," the driver's words shook him out of the reverie, "There's a shelter here on this corner. You want me to stop?"

Jeff nodded and waited until the car came to a complete halt before getting out. Reminding the driver he'd be right back, Jeff walked in to the building.

He asked one of the matrons if they had seen Hilary. The woman checked through the registered names of the people there. While standing at the desk, he glanced around the room, hoping to see her. Then he did see her. She was talking to a small girl, but it was his Hilary all
right. He started toward her ignoring the woman behind him reminding him sharply that he couldn't go in because it was a woman's shelter. He didn't care.

"Hilary!" he called. She looked toward the sound of her name and smiled. She was in his arms in an instant. "Jeffrey, I was so worried about you!"

"I'm fine, but Tony--"

"I know about Tony, Pumpkin. I'm so sorry." She hugged him again. "How is Claire?"

"She flew home this morning. I talked to mom yesterday, she'd like for us to be there for the service." He explained.

Hilary nodded, then realized, "Yoshi. I promised her I'd help find her mother."

"Who?" Jeff asked, then noticed the girl who stood shyly aside. He recognized her as the child he'd seen speaking with Hilary.

Hilary held her hand out, "This is Yoshi." She introduced and the girl walked closer.

"Does this mean you're leaving?" Yoshi asked Hilary.

"No darling, this means we're leaving." Hilary assured. "Why don't you walk over and get your things."

When Yoshi walked away to get the drink and candy bar she'd been eating, Hilary explained to Jeff her situation. "Her father was killed on the Arizona. I've tried calling her home, but get no answer. I'm sure her mother is worried sick."

"Where is the last place she saw her mother." Jeff asked.

"She said her mother went looking for her father, and that's how they were split up. Yoshi must not have seen her go a different way."

Hilary explained. She saw Yoshi walking toward them and lowered her voice, "If her mother went toward the shelling, I'm afraid--" she trailed off as the girl walked into ear shot.

"Are you all set?" Jeff asked Yoshi as she stopped next to Hilary. Yoshi nodded that she was and the three of them walked out of the shelter and into the waiting taxi.

*

Once back at the small hotel, Hilary let Yoshi shower first. While the little girl was in the shower, Hilary and Jeff discussed the possibility that her mother had been injured or worse in the melee.

Hilary found her suitcase that had been transferred from the damaged hotel with the rest of their belongings. She'd bought a Hawaiian print wrap around skirt to wear around the house. She figured if the ties were folded a few times it would be a temporary fit at least for Yoshi.

"Jeffrey, do you have a clean shirt that Yoshi could wear?"

"Yes." Jeff answered, "My suitcase is in the closet. It'll be a dress on her."

"Darling, your shirts are dresses on me." Hilary shot back with a smile.

Jeff gave her a smile and picked up the phone to begin his search anew, this time for Yoshi's mother. "Hilary, what exactly is her mother's name?"

"Anna Yokoyama." Hilary supplied.

Yoshi opened the bathroom door a small bit and peeked her head out. "I'm finished, Hilary."

"Okay." Hilary picked up the clothes she'd laid out and handed them to Yoshi. "Put these on. They'll be too big, but it's clean clothes."

"Thank you." She acknowledged and went back into the bathroom.

Hilary waited until she finished, and then went to clean up herself.

Yoshi, now clean and comfortable sat at the table opposite Jeff. "What're you doing?"

Jeff answered her. "I'm checking the hospitals to make sure your mother wasn't hurt."

"Oh, okay." She sat back and watched.

Before long she'd nodded off to sleep. Jeff finished a call and hung up the phone. He picked her up and carried her to the bed. After covering her, he resumed his calling.

*

Hilary walked out of the bathroom wearing a robe and toweling off her wet hair. "This feels immensely better." She walked to Jeff and draped an arm around his shoulder. "Have you found anything yet?"

Jeff stretched and pulled Hilary down to sit on his leg. He said quietly, "She's at Harbor General Hospital. I called the nurses there and explained who I was and why I was looking for her. They said she was hit with some flying debris. She's in critical condition and they don't expect
her to survive."

Hilary glanced at the sleeping Yoshi. "Does she know?"

"She fell asleep before I called Harbor General." Jeff replied.

Hilary stood and began to get dressed. "Darling, would you call me a cab?"

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to the hospital. Mrs. Yokoyama needs to know her daughter is all right."

Jeff nodded as he watched Hilary scrambling to pull her wet hair into a quick bun. He called the cab and relayed to Hilary it would be there soon.

*

Hilary walked into the Intensive Care room of Anna Yokoyama that the nurse had shown her. She hadn't known what to expect, but Anna was a petite blonde who looked overwhelmed by all the medical equipment surrounding her. Her shoulders and chest were wrapped tightly in bandages and there were tubes connected at several different points on her body.

Anna turned slowly when she noticed the stranger enter her room. Hilary walked closer to her bedside and introduced herself.

"I wanted you to know that your daughter is safe. I met her in a women's shelter I took refuge in last night." Hilary pulled a chair closer to the bed and sat. She smiled reassuringly when the woman smiled.

"She's not hurt?" Anna asked in a small pain-filled voice.

"No," Hilary explained, "She's tired. When I left her with my husband she was sleeping soundly."

"Good."

"Is there someone I could call? To take care of her?" Hilary asked.

Anna looked away, not wanting to show the tears, "No. My family disowned me fifteen years ago when I married Tai. His family is in Japan."

She returned her gaze to Hilary. "She's going to be alone now. Could you take her away from here; I don't want her to be treated badly because of who she is."

The request surprised Hilary. She understood it, but it surprised her. She had no idea what she was going to do with a twelve year old. She found herself assuring Anna that she would take care of Yoshi.Hilary leaned forward slightly, "Anna, are you sure. I mean, you don't know me."

"I know that you didn't hesitate to take care of Yoshi at a time when most people would have turned away from her."

"She needed a friend."

"I'm glad you were that friend." Anna grimaced a bit as pain moved through her. "Would you get a nurse, please. I need to ask her something."

"Sure." Hilary walked out of the room and found a nurse. She explained that Anna wanted something and the nurse followed her back into the room.

"What is it, Mrs. Yokoyama?" The nurse asked.

"Where are my things?"

"We put them in a safety box for you. Would you like for me to get them?" the matronly nurse explained. When Anna answered that she would the nurse left to retrieve the items.

"Mrs.--" Anna spoke but trailed off realizing she hadn't gotten a last name.

"It's Hilary." She responded and sat again in the chair.

Anna continued, "I want you to get Yoshi's birth certificate. It proves that she is an American. I don't want you to run into trouble trying to leave Hawaii with her. I want to have the nurse witness and transcribe a note giving you permission to settle my affairs. Please take the money from our bank account for Yoshi. It isn't much, but it will help."

"Anna, I am a total stranger to you. I--" Hilary started.

Anna stopped her objection, "Right now you are the only hope my daughter has for a future. I have to think of her well being. I know instinctively that I can trust you. Please let me do this for my Yoshi's sake."

"All right." She relented softly, "what else do you need me to do?"

*

Two hours later, Hilary walked tiredly back to the small hotel room. Jeff met her at the door with a somber look on his face. He stepped out of the door away from Yoshi's earshot. "Darling, the hospital called. Anna Yokoyama died twenty minutes ago."

Hilary closed her eyes. She'd been expecting it, but not so soon. Anna had been a charming woman. "Did you tell Yoshi?" Hilary asked.

"No. I thought we should do it together."

"Is she still asleep?"

"She's listening to the radio. President Roosevelt is supposed to make a speech later." Jeff explained.

Hilary pulled him out of the room, "Darling, we need to talk about Yoshi." She handed him a copy of the paper that Anna had dictated.

He read through it, "Hilary this gives us custody of her."

"Yes it does. Jeffrey, she has no one else and we have the means to support her." She explained further, "Anna wanted to know she'd be all right. I assured her she would be."

Jeff paused to consider then nodded. "I'll get her an extra plane ticket," he said. "In the meantime, we need to tell her."

*

They walked into the room together. Yoshi turned and smiled, "Hi Hilary. Jeff and I were listening to the music."

"Good. I'm glad you two had fun." Hilary sat on the bed and motioned for Yoshi to sit with her. "Darling, I have to tell you something."

Yoshi noted the serious look and asked with trepidation, "It's my mommy isn't it?"

Jeff sat next to the little girl and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. He lay his other hand over Hilary's on the bed behind Yoshi.

Hilary smoothed her hand over Yoshi's thin straight black hair. "Yes sweetie, it's your mommy." She said in a soft sorrowful voice.

Yoshi started crying, "No." She threw her arms around Hilary's neck and cried against her shoulder.

Hilary hugged her tightly and pulled the girl into her lap. Jeff moved closer and let Hilary lean against his side. He wrapped them both in his arms and took Yoshi's hand as Hilary turned her to sit across her lap.

"Yoshi," Jeff said softly, "How would you like to stay with Hilary and me?"

"Really?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Yes." Hilary answered. "If you'd like.

"Okay." She answered, then started crying again.

Hilary rocked the broken-hearted girl gently, until she cried herself to sleep.

*

After laying her down, Hilary and Jeff sat at the table and discussed what they were going to do in terms of Yoshi.

With the paper that Anna had given Hilary she was able to get a small amount of items from a safety deposit box at the bank downtown. That included Yoshi's birth certificate and a rather tidy sum from the bank account that Hilary closed out.

She'd called their bank and had an account opened up for Yoshi and had the Honolulu bank wire the money straight to Pittsburgh. Other legal affairs would have to be dealt with through Doug. Jeff placed a quick call to the attorney and briefly explained what was happening and that they'd need to see him as soon as they returned home.

Jeff then called and got the extra tickets for Yoshi for the trip to his mother's and the trip back to Pittsburgh. He also informed his mother that they were leaving the following day, and would be there the day after.

"Oh," Hilary realized, and leaned closer to Jeff from across the table, "there's something else we probably should do lest we run into any problems concerning Yoshi."

Jeff gave her a confused look.

"We should get remarried. Legally this time."

"Oh yeah." Jeff said as if it had just dawned on him. "Why don't we do that at my mom's. It'll give her something good to do after Tony's funeral.

"Good idea." Hilary agreed.

*

Jeff heard the radio announcer begin an introduction for the president's speech. They moved closer so they could hear what everyone speculated was a declaration of war. Yoshi woke when Jeff turned the volume up. She climbed up and sat on Hilary's lap while the three listened.
Once the speech was over with, Jeff and Hilary talked about what it meant. The United States was now at war. There was a worry that the Japanese would attack again. Jeff's priority became getting both Hilary and Yoshi out of any potential line of fire.

Their plane would be leaving mid-morning, so he suggested that they go find dinner, and take Yoshi by her house so she could take any belongings she wanted to before they left Hawaii.

*

Wednesday, December 10, 1941

Hilary held Yoshi's hand as they followed Jeff through the gate that separated the plane's passengers from the waiting relatives. She was a bit nervous about meeting Jeff's mother for the first time. She'd seen Claire waiting and assumed that the slight gray haired woman standing next
to her was Arlette Singer. She smiled, gathering that the height had obviously come from Jeffrey's father.

The woman moved quickly when she saw them, her smile broadening. "Jeffrey," she said as she pulled Jeff into a warm embrace.

"Mom." He returned her hug. "I'm sorry about Tony." He felt her nod against his shoulder.

Hilary stood slightly aside to give Jeff's mother a chance to greet him. She held her arm protectively against the back of the shy little girl clinging to her waist. She glanced down and smiled. The last three days had been hard on Yoshi. She could only imagine what it was like
to be suddenly thrust into a situation where everyone was a complete stranger.

"Claire." Hilary said intending to comfort her sister-in-law. Claire hugged her, but she could tell the greeting was forced. She pursed her eyebrows in slight confusion, then noticed that the dark haired woman was trying to avoid eye contact with Yoshi. Hilary decided it would be best to introduce them.

"This is Yoshi. She'll be staying with Jeff and myself."

Claire stood straight and disgustedly replied, "How could you!" and stormed toward the parking lot.

Jeff turned having heard Claire's outburst. "What happened?" he asked. He saw Yoshi crying against Hilary and realized what must have happened. He walked over and crouched to her level, and smoothed a hand over her head. "Hey kiddo, everything will be fine. She's just very sad."

Yoshi turned slightly toward Jeff and said through her tears, "But I didn't do anything. Why do they treat me like it's my fault?"

Mrs. Singer stepped up then. She lay a hand on Jeff's shoulder and patted Yoshi's back, "Because when something bad happens, people don't look past the surface. They only see what they want to see. Do you know what I see?"

Yoshi answered in a sad voice, "No."

The older woman planted both hands gently on Yoshi's shoulders and turned her so she could see her better. "I see a little girl who is probably hungry."

Yoshi grinned through her tears. "Yes I am."

Arlette smiled and straightened, "You must be Hilary.

Hilary nodded, "It's wonderful to finally meet you, Mrs. Singer. I only wish it had been under better circumstances."

"Me too, dear." The woman agreed. "Well, lets get your bags and get back to the house. This little lady is starving." She held out her hand for Yoshi to take. Yoshi looked to Hilary who nodded that it was all right. She smiled then and took the offered hand.

*

That evening after Yoshi had gone to sleep, Hilary and Jeff explained to his mother how she had suddenly entered their lives.

"Are you going to adopt this little girl?" Arlette asked.

"She has no one else to turn to. I promised Anna that I would honor her request to take care of Yoshi." Hilary answered and took a sip of the hot coffee she held. "So it is very possible that we'll adopt her."

"We haven't really had time to discuss it between ourselves what to do with Yoshi. Right now, we have a little girl who's just lost both her parents in one day." Jeff said. "Once we get back home to Pittsburgh and the three of us can get to know each other better, we can talk about
permanence. But Hilary is right, it is likely she'll stay with us."

*

Friday, December 12, 1941

In the course of the past three days, Claire had gotten to know Yoshi much better and was finally able to put her prejudices aside. She had even requested to the minister handling her husband's funeral that time be set aside afterward for a memorial to be said for Yoshi's parents.
Both Jeff and Hilary were touched by Claire's thoughtfulness. Hilary was glad to see that she'd accepted Yoshi enough to insist that she refer to her as 'Aunt Claire'.

The day prior to the funeral Hilary and Claire took Yoshi shopping for a dress to wear. The venture had proven to be just what they needed. While helping her charge try on several different dresses, and giving fashion pointers, Hilary had realized she wanted to be Yoshi's
mother. It was a startling revelation on her part. But one, after the initial shock, she welcomed.

Tony's funeral was held in mid-afternoon. Eulogies were read by Jeff and by Claire. It was a big funeral attended by a good number of the community who felt a personal stake in the war because one of their own had died on that Sunday in Hawaii. Hilary and Jeff sat in the first row with the rest of the family, Yoshi between them holding tightly to their hands. Every so often, Hilary would squeeze her hand reassuringly and smile at her.

*

Monday, December 15, 1941

Jeff washed down the last of his breakfast with a drink of orange juice and put his plate in the sink. He returned to the table with his mother and not able to think of another way to approach the subject told her, "Hilary and I want to go to city hall this afternoon and get married--uh remarried."

"Is there a reason behind this Jeffrey?"

He chuckled and replied, "A very very complicated one. Suffice it to say, we just recently became aware that our wedding in Mexico was not exactly legal."

His mother smiled, "That's all the explanation I'm getting isn't it?"

"That's all you need to know."

"Jeffrey you always were my impulsive one," Arlette laughed and patted his hand.

*

That afternoon Arlette, Claire and Yoshi stood as witnesses while Jeff and Hilary remarried in front of a Justice of the Peace. Hilary was obsessed with making sure everything was legal and binding to the point of driving Jeff crazy. The justice took it in stride and even made a point to
file their marriage license while Hilary watched.

"Careful darling," Jeff leaned to whisper in her ear as he signed the license, "You're making me think you actually want to be married to me."

She gave Jeff a sickeningly sweet sarcastic grin, "Call me crazy."

*

Once things settled down that evening, Jeff and Hilary took the opportunity to slip away to find some time for themselves. Hilary had tucked Yoshi in and made sure she was sleeping peacefully before joining Jeff in the bedroom.

She slipped out of the robe she was wearing and slid into the bed next to her husband.

"Jeffrey," Hilary rolled against him and propped her head with her arm, "we haven't really had a chance to really talk about things. What do you think about Yoshi?"

Jeff folded his pillow so he could more comfortably talk. He enveloped Hilary in his arms, and replied, "About keeping her? I don't know that we have a choice. She needs parents. Unfortunately for her, we're the closest she has." He smiled when she did.

"What kind of mother will I be? Especially to a teenager. What do I know about teenagers?" she asked pillowing her head on his chest."Darling, what have you been doing all week?" Jeff asked her.

"I mean the everyday stuff. Like school, report cards, 'clean your room'."

Jeff laughed, "Darling I'm sure we can cross that road--"

Hilary interrupted him with a finger to his lips. "Shh--" She partially sat, cocking her head and listening.

"What?" He mumbled against her hand.

"She's crying." Hilary said. She grabbed her robe and quickly left the room.

Jeff smiled, "yes Hilary, you'd make a lousy mother." He observed sardonically as the door shut behind her.

Wednesday, December 17, 1941

The pilot announced their final decent into Pittsburgh and requested that all passengers prepare for the landing.

"Will your friends like me?" Yoshi questioned.

"Sure they will dear." Hilary replied. "You won't have to worry."

Jeff put his arm assuringly over her shoulder. "You'll be part of the family."

Yoshi leaned slightly to look out of the plane window. She missed her parents badly, but looked forward to the new adventures that awaited her here in Pittsburgh.

 

THE END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Bizarra.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.