Actions

Work Header

To Whom Much is Given

Summary:

Sixth in the Birthright series: Jack returns to the Colasanto compound with company when Angelo's lawyer calls about an inheritance.

Chapter 1: Prologue: A Change in the Wind

Notes:

Here we have the sixth story in the Birthright series.  For those of you just joining us, the previous stories were (in order):  The Rising, Torn Asunder, The Sleeper Awakens, The Homecoming, and Reap the Whirlwind.  Yes, these stories are post-Miracle Day, and they’re my attempt to bring Miracle Day in line with ‘classic Torchwood.’  Owen returned in The Homecoming, while Ianto made an appearance in Torn Asunder, and I’m sure he’ll turn up again.  I’m mentally planning a story with Tosh, but it’s just that, still being planned.  I need to do some research to make sure what I’m planning is feasible within canon. 

Chapter Text

Disclaimer:  Captain Jack Harkness, Dr. Owen Harper, Esther Drummond, Agent Rex Matheson, Angelo and Olivia Colasanto, Melissa Moretti/Alice Carter, and anyone else you recognize from Torchwood and/or Doctor Who do not belong to me.  They're the property of the BBC and Starz Studios.  The Tregarths, Sean and Liam Grady, Charles and Marie Havelock, and the Hallorans do belong to me, however.  I don't mind if you borrow them; just please, ask first and return them to me alive and as intact as you can manage. 

 

To Whom Much is Given

 

Prologue

 

A Change in the Wind

 

Nevada

April 2010

"Are you sure you want to do this, sir?"

"I am sure.  She has my power of attorney, but I fear I no longer trust her.  Yes.  Yes, this is what I want," the old man said quietly.  It was just he and his attorney; he sent the nurse away for the sake of privacy.  It was a terrible thing, to distrust those whom you should be the first to trust.  Yes, he thought sadly, including your lovers. But he was making amends for that, every day.  He only wished he had the courage to do so outright.  The young man nodded, and made a few notes to himself on his pad of paper.  The old man reclined back against his pillows.  Not for the first time, he wondered what immortality would be like:  once, it seemed like a gift of the Devil.  A single, horrifying night and equally devastating betrayal changed his mind about that.  He remained fascinated with it, with being young and living forever.  But now, as the end of his own life neared, Angelo Colasanto saw immortality for the curse that it truly was.

"Tell me, Liam, have you ever wished to return to your youth, with the knowledge you have now?" Angelo asked his young attorney.  Oh, he knew that Liam Grady was nearing forty, but to a man past one hundred, nearly everyone seemed young to him.  The attorney shook his head vehemently, and Angelo asked curiously, "Why not?"  Nearly everyone whom he asked responded with an equally vehement ‘yes.'  And while he would have expected that of someone with an old soul, Liam was professional but playful.  Quite a lot like his father Sean, who was Liam's predecessor as Angelo's lawyer.

"Because I think I would be even more miserable with the knowledge I have now than I was back then.  Everyone talks about high school being the best years of your life, but it was never like that for me.  The only good times I remember was when Dad brought me here and you would tell me stories and Signora Talia would feed me.  You know my paternal grandmother died before I was born, and my mother's mother wanted nothing to do with us.  Signora Talia was the closest thing I had to a grandmother," Liam replied.  Angelo inclined his head.  He did know that and that his late wife adored Liam. 

"There are times when I wish I knew at twenty-three what I know at my age.  I think your idea is healthier ... you have far fewer regrets.  Tell me, Liam, have you ever hurt someone you loved?" Angelo asked next.  Liam looked up at that.  To his credit, he thought about Angelo's question, before finally shaking his head, and the old man continued, "Then you are fortunate indeed.  You have heard, I am certain, the arguments between Olivia and me?"  Liam rolled his eyes, and Angelo would have roared with laughter if he could have, if he had the breath to do so.  There wasn't a person within the household who didn't know about the disagreements between Angelo and his granddaughter.  Angelo continued, "Olivia doesn't understand about regrets and hurting someone dear to you.  It's unfortunate.  She's an adult, but still sees the world as a child does in some respects.  That is not always a bad thing, understand."

"But it is with the way she does it.  She resents anyone whom she sees is a rival for Signora Talia," Liam replied, nodding his agreement.  Angelo raised his eyebrows at that, and Liam added, "Yes, Angelo; you should remember, I grew up with Olivia. Yes, I'm more than ten years younger than she is, but I still grew up with her.  Besides, I know the stories.  I was so confused about so many things when I was a teenager, and Signora Talia was the only person I could talk to about it.  She told me that there was someone before her, and that someone still had a piece of your heart.  She smiled, covered my hand, and told me, ‘it does not mean that he loves me any less, piccolo mio.  But he hurt this man very badly, and you never forget those whom you hurt, those whom you wrong.  Angelo wronged this man terribly.'  You remember what she was like; she could make everything all right."

"She could.  No matter how furious she would get, she could always make things better.  Perhaps that is the problem.  Do you think it's possible that Olivia sees my Talia as a saint?  Talia had the patience of a saint, certainly, but she was no saint.  I don't believe I would have loved her nearly as much as I did if she was," Angelo mused.  The corners of Liam's mouth quirked, and Angelo continued, "Yes, my Talia had the patience of a saint, and a temper to rival the Devil's.  Did I ever tell you how she reacted when I told her what I did that terrible night?"  Liam shook his head, and Angelo leaned forward, whispering, "She hit me with a skillet, and then made me sleep on the floor for a week."

Liam roared with laughter and retorted, "That sounds like Signora Talia!"  Angelo nodded, his eyes bright.  He wasn't yet prepared to return to her arms:  there were too many things he needed to do.  This was one thing; there was also the matter of the Families.  The reports he was receiving from his men on the inside indicated that they were preparing to use Jack's blood since he was now off-planet.  Angelo thought again about the report he'd been given from his people in Cardiff, and his heart broke for Jack.  Liam asked softly, "What do you want done about your men in Cardiff?  Do you want them to stay where they are and protect what's left of Torchwood, or do you have another assignment for them?"

Angelo began thinking about that once he learned Jack left the planet, and so, he replied slowly, "Send one man to London, to watch over Melissa Moretti.  The last remaining member of Torchwood can take care of herself, but Melissa is Jack's daughter.  I want someone watching over her.  I want the other four to try to infiltrate PhiCorp.  Make up a history for them, if need be."  Liam nodded, and rose to his feet.  Angelo reached out his hand and curled his fingers around the young attorney's wrist, adding, "I know this wasn't your first wish, Liam.  I know you had other dreams.  But thank you."

Liam covered Angelo's hand with his own, replying, "I did have other dreams.  And yes, I inherited you as a client from my father.  But I make my own choices, Angelo, I always have.  Long before you were my client, you were my friend, and even when I didn't approve of the choices you made, I could understand why you made them.  You don't have to thank me; it's been my pleasure to act as your attorney.  I'll add these conditions to your will, and if Olivia does ignore your wishes, she will be disinherited aside from the bequest you mentioned."  Angelo smiled at him gratefully.  He didn't want to do it.  But when he learned that Olivia was helping to fund the Pharm, he faced the possibility that his granddaughter could destroy everything he built.  And everything he built was possible because of Captain Jack Harkness.  He would not allow anyone else to harm his former lover; not even his beloved granddaughter.

TBC