Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 33 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
522
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
961

Alternate After Hit; Run

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "Hit; Run" -- The muses had a couple ideas for an after scene for this ep, so I wrote both.

Work Text:

It was after two am when Dave finally closed the door on the last of the guests. He locked it and then went back into the yard to find Derek sitting at one of the tables. He tilted his head to the side, studying Derek who was staring into space. He cleared his throat. “They’re all gone.”

Derek jerked. He inhaled sharply. He started fiddling with his bottle of beer instead of meeting Dave’s gaze. “Okay.”

Dave took the seat next to Derek. He touched Derek’s arm. “Something wrong?” he asked quietly.

Derek managed a small smile but it didn’t meet his eyes. “I’m all right.”

Dave studied him openly for a moment longer. One end of his mouth quirked up. “You know that you can’t lie to me, right?”

That startled a laugh out of Derek. “Yeah. I’m okay,” he repeated. “It’s just been a rough few days.”

“Are you sure that’s it?”

Derek shrugged nonchalantly. “Yeah.”

Dave shook his head. “I could call bullshit, but I’m tired so I’ll let you off the hook.” He paused for a brief moment. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. “I’ve got to head in tomorrow morning. Hotch wants me to sit in a meeting with Emily.”

Derek’s eyes got wide. “What for?”

“I don’t know, but…” Dave’s voice trailed off.

“What?” Derek prompted.

Dave rubbed his chin. “I’m not sure yet. There was something about Emily tonight. She’s made some kind of important decision and I think she actually feels good about it. Did you notice?”

Derek just shrugged in response because he’d told Emily that he would let her break the news in her own way.

Dave looked around the chaos left in his yard. “The catering company is coming to clean up in the late morning. I’ll be gone, so you’ll have to let them in.”

Suddenly, Derek jumped up. He strode over the table where the DJ left his equipment. He popped a soft jazz CD into the player and turned it on. He came back and offered his hands to Dave. “Come on.”

Dave arched an eyebrow. “You can’t be serious.”

Derek tilted his head in the direction of the dance floor. “You danced with everyone tonight but me.”

Dave rolled his eyes at Derek’s dramatic tone. “I danced with all the women. You didn’t see me with Hotch or Reid, did you?”

“No.” Derek’s eyes sparked. He pulled Dave to his feet. “But I did notice Strauss pawing you.”

A faint look of revulsion crossed Dave’s face. “She was not pawing me.”

“Yes, she was,” Derek stated. He pulled Dave to the center of the dance floor. “But that’s okay. I can’t fault her for wanting a piece of you.”

“But I don’t want her,” Dave grumbled.

Derek grinned. “I know. I’m not mad at her. I’m a very forgiving guy.”

“Right,” Dave drawled sarcastically.

Derek pouted. “Please.”

Dave rested one hand on Derek’s hip and held the other one out. “Fine, but I lead.”

Derek put his hand on Dave’s shoulder. He immediately relaxed in Dave’s arms. He pressed close. “I’m okay with that.”

Series this work belongs to: