Actions

Work Header

After Hit; Run

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "Hit; Run"

Work Text:

Dave sat back on his couch, with his feet up on the coffee table. His eyes were closed as he enjoyed the quiet. He gave a small smile when he felt Derek settle in next to him. “Are they all gone?”

Derek chuckled. “Yeah. The newlyweds are off on their week in Atlantic City. The rest I kicked out. I told them they didn’t have to go home but they couldn’t stay here.”

Dave didn’t move. “Aaron and Beth are going to have their hands full with both Jack and Henry.”

Derek waved that off. “They’ll have a blast.”

“Did Garcia say what she was going to do with her week?”

“She still doesn’t feel like going back to the convention. Instead, she’s having her own movie marathon. Two days of Star Trek and Star Wars with Reid. She also said something about margaritas and homemade salsa.”

Dave grimaced. He still didn’t open his eyes. “You should’ve seen them in costume. Reid was one of the old Dr. Whos. I don’t know what Garcia was.”

Derek mirrored Dave’s position. He rested a hand on Dave’s knee. “She mentioned seeing you and Strauss in front of the same hotel.”

Dave smirked. “And did you tell her that you knew I was there as Erin’s friend because she needed someone to talk to?”

“Oh yeah. I didn’t want her getting the wrong idea and launching a cyber attack on your ass,” Derek answered, completely deadpan.

“I appreciate that,” Dave replied dryly. “Last time she destroyed the first two chapters of my last book.”

They were both silent for a long moment. The atmosphere subtly shifted. Derek squirmed uncomfortably. “Baby Girl also mentioned treating herself to a spa day.”

Dave tensed in response to Derek’s tentative tone. “She deserves it,” he said neutrally.

“And she wants to hijack Reid into coming along.”

Dave’s mouth twitched but he didn’t smile. “That would be interesting to see.”

Derek grunted. “She said it was Emily’s idea.”

Dave finally opened his eyes. He raised his head to look at Derek. “To soften the news that she’s leaving,” he said knowingly.

“She told you?”

Dave sighed. “No, but I saw it in her eyes.”

Derek set his jaw. “She needs a change. She’s going to accept Easter’s offer to head up Interpol’s London office.”

Dave covered Derek’s hand with his own. “She’s been having an internal battle since she’s been back. She lost something when she died and she hasn’t been able to get it back. We’ll miss her but this might be the best thing for her.”

“Maybe,” Derek grumbled but didn’t sound convinced.

“We can’t keep her here if she doesn’t want to be here.”

“I know.”

Dave brought Derek’s hand to his lips to kiss Derek’s palm. “At least we know that she’s okay and she’s just an email away.”

Derek smiled despite himself. He turned his hand to caress Dave’s jaw. “I suppose,” he murmured huskily. “So, what are we doing for our week?”

Dave nuzzled Derek’s hand. “Anything you want.”

Derek’s eyes flashed. “Anything I want,” he echoed and moved to straddle Dave’s lap.

Dave grinned and planted his hands on Derek’s hips. “I planned the wedding with barely a day’s notice. It’s your turn.”

Derek leaned in to kiss Dave. “I’ll think of something.”

Series this work belongs to: