Actions

Work Header

Reap the Whirlwind

Summary:

Fifth in the Birthright series; Owen's first case with his new team brings him face-to-face with his past, when an old enemy abducts Ailsa.

Chapter 1: Prologue: Deja Vu All Over Again

Notes:

Recap of the previous stories:  in The Rising, Jack and Rex learn from Carlyon Tregarth, a prior director of Torchwood Cardiff, that Esther is alive and a prisoner of the Families.  They join forces with the Tregarths to rescue Esther and Natalie Tregarth, who went undercover to protect Esther.  Following the successful rescue, Carlyon invites Jack to stay.  In Torn Asunder, it’s discovered that a new Rift has opened near the homestead.  With the opening of the new Rift (and a meeting with an old friend), Jack agrees to stay with the new Torchwood.  In The Awakening, Carlyon’s wife Sophia awakens nearly thirty-five years after being put into cryo-stasis and Natalie learns the truth about her parentage.  But that’s only the beginning, as Carlyon admits that the directors of Torchwood in 1965 knew how to destroy the 456.  This devastates Jack, who leaves to investigate a Rift spike alone.  And finally, in The Homecoming, parasites come through the Rift, with the purpose of causing as much mayhem as possible.  The first human they encounter after taking over five friends is Jack Harkness, who is savagely beaten for interfering with their fun.  However, another human follows them through:  Dr. Owen Harper.  Meanwhile the morning after Owen's arrival, Mickey and Martha arrive for a visit.  And that’s four stories and 171,152 words summed up in 208 words.

Chapter Text

Disclaimer:  Captain Jack Harkness, Dr. Owen Harper, Agent Rex Matheson, Esther Drummond, et al, are not mine.  They belong to Russell T. Davies, the BBC, and Starz Studios.  However, the Tregarths and the Hallorans and their friends and neighbors do belong to me.  Don't mind if you borrow them, just ask first and return them in reasonably decent condition.

Tregarth Homestead, Oklahoma

Two weeks before Christmas, 2011

"So, why am I doing this, instead of World War II, or the doctor, or someone else?" Rex Matheson asked as he knelt on the floor of the bunkhouse.  His blonde companion simply offered a cheeky grin, and Rex rolled his eyes.  Right.  More working, less talking.  Ever since they joined Torchwood, Esther picked up even more bad habits from World War II, including the annoying ability to turn even the most innocent things into innuendos.  How in the hell you learned that, he wasn't sure, but she figured out a way to do that.

"I could say that you're the only one full of enough hot air, but the truth is, anyone can work this thing.  No, Jack accompanied Natalie to pick out a puppy for Ailsa; Owen, Jason and Lucas are installing the last of the medical software onto the computers in the house.  Carlyon's joints won't allow him to do it.  Octavia, Sophia and Priscilla took Adriane into Lawton to shop for a dress for the dance at the end of the week," Esther recited as Rex stepped away from the airbed.  Rex rolled his eyes, even though something about Esther's information bothered him.  Oh yes.  How could he forget the dance?  To celebrate the end of Miracle Day and steady improvement of the local economy (to say nothing of Christmas rapidly approaching), the nearest town was holding a dance at the community center.  It started with Adriane wanting a new dress, and her mother, older aunt, and grandmother followed suit.  He was a bit surprised that Natalie and Esther didn't accompany them, but Sophia merely smiled and said there would be a second trip for those two.  Esther added, sounding more than a little distracted, "Sophia asked me to finish up the bunkhouse since it's mostly clean.  They're putting the idea of turning the bunkhouse into a bunkhouse on hold for now."

"So instead, it's gonna be a place for World War II or whoever's manning the Hub to crash if they don't have the energy to come back to the house.  Aren't there living quarters in the Hub?" Rex inquired, barely biting back a yelp when Esther accidently (on purpose) stepped on his foot.  Brat!  He glared at his former assistant, but she merely smiled sweetly at him as she made the bed.  Rex moved back out of the way, wary of getting his feet stepped on again.  And she was quite capable of doing just that.  He added after a moment, "And why do you wanna go to that dance anyhow?"  This time, he was hit with a particularly dark glare.

"Because it sounds like fun and I think we could all use some fun.  Yes, Mickey and Martha just left a few weeks ago, which was a lot of fun, and yes, we had a wonderful time at Thanksgiving, but this is for the community.  And the way I hear it, Matthew Halloran let it be known around the community that we helped to bring the Miracle to an end.  I'm dying to see how many people want to see if Jack is really as good-looking as Ava Halloran keeps telling people that he is," Esther snickered.  Rex rolled his eyes once again and then yelped when Esther once more (accidently on purpose) stepped on his foot.  Dammit, that was twice!  The blonde girl merely smiled sweetly and said, "Behave.  Or people will start thinking that you're jealous of Jack."  Rex sputtered for several moments, and Esther just smiled.

After a moment, she added, "Besides, Ava told me that she's taking the girls, and I want to see Nicky dancing with them both.  The last time I talked to Alys and Melanie on the phone, they couldn't stop talking about Nicky.  According to my girls, he's the nicest, most amazing, best person in the world, after me."  She grinned impishly and returned her attention to tucking the sheets under the bed, adding absently, "Oh, and can you pass me the pillows?  Thanks."  Rex reluctantly handed the requested items to her from their position in the chair.  Over the last few days, since the departure of Mickey and Martha Smith, Esther went to work on the bunkhouse, transforming it into a small apartment.  For the moment, camping equipment was doubling as furnishings.  That included the bed (one of those deluxe air mattresses that was almost the size of a real mattress), a cabana for showering (complete with a portable shower head, towels, and soap), and even a camp toilet (WTF).  Evidently, buying camping equipment was less expensive than putting in a proper bed and plumbing at this point in time.  Jack observed in an undertone while the items were being moved into the bunkhouse that if he needed to use the loo that badly, he'd make a beeline into the house.  Rex could only agree.

"So, what are you doing next?" Rex asked, even though he was sure that he didn't want to know.  Before getting to work on the table, Esther set up a small camp table to double as a desk and/or dinner table and chair.  However, just to be safe, he carefully shuffled out of the way, so she couldn't step on his foot.  Again.  Octavia kicked his ankle or shins when she thought he was getting out of line, and he honestly wasn't sure which one was more painful.  And then Esther turned to smile at him, a particularly devilish smile that made him want to run for the hills.  When she smiled like that, trouble usually followed, and not the good kind.

"Actually, I plan on returning the favor before the dance by helping Adriane with her make-up.  I don't know if you've noticed, but she's been making eyes at Owen since he arrived, and he's certainly noticed her.  I don't think he'll make a move-I don't think either of them is ready for that yet, but she definitely wants to get his attention," Esther replied.  Rex blinked at her in astonishment.  Seriously?  She was playing matchmaker for Adriane and Harper?  Seriously?  Esther added, "And no, I'm not matchmaking.  But Adriane decided to use me as a make-up canvas, and this is a good time to get payback."  That actually was even scarier to him.  Esther added, almost under her breath, "I just hope that Carlyon doesn't throw a hissy fit to end all hissy fits when he finds out that Nat is getting a dog without asking him first."

Rex froze.  Yes.  That was what bothered him ever since Esther first mentioned it.  While Natalie made all the decisions with regards to the rearing of her daughter, she spoke to her parents about anything that impacted the rest of the family:  especially the addition of pets.  Esther straightened up as Rex asked slowly, "And she took Jack with her?"  In spite of himself, his mind was going to another day, not so long ago, and Esther turned to face him, looking concerned as well.  Rex thought about the last time he saw Natalie, if she was behaving differently.  She seemed quiet and tense earlier in the day, and he thought at the time that she was just fretting over Ailsa being away on a field trip.  School started up just a few days after Mickey and Martha's return to England and Ailsa was excited to be a ‘big girl' and go to school.

"You don't think. . .?" Esther began, looking worried.  Rex merely looked at her.  It was then that their phones went off at the same time.  Esther dug into her jeans for her cell, as Rex retrieved his own from his back pocket.  She murmured, "Oh my God."  Rex could only nod as he read over the text he just received from Jack.  Yeah.  ‘Oh my God' worked quite well in the situation.  Esther's eyes met Rex's as she slid her phone shut decisively, saying, "Let's go."  Rex followed the determined blonde from the bunkhouse.  They had work to do.

TBC