Actions

Work Header

Torn Asunder

Summary:

Second in the Birthright series: Esther is recovering from her months of captivity, a new Rift may be opening, and Jack has a decision to make.  And is Octavia Tregarth putting the moves on Rex?

Chapter 1: Like Any Other Day

Notes:

Happy belated Boxing Day to any British/Canadian/Australian readers I happen to have!  Hope it (and Christmas) was wonderful for you.  This is the second story in the Birthright series.  The first story was The Rising, which detailed Esther’s rescue from the Families and introduced the Tregarth family, old friends of Jack from Torchwood Cardiff.  While the series largely takes places in the States, some action will take place in the UK and other nations around the world.  There will be appearances made by characters lost to the show during various stories.  Also, while the Families will be around, generally being a pain in the rump, non-terrestrial entities will be cropping up, because that’s kinda the point of Torchwood.  Some from the show and from Doctor Who, and others. . .not so much.

Chapter Text

Disclaimer:  Captain Jack Harkness, Agent Rex Matheson, and Esther Drummond do not belong to me, nor do the Families (lucky for that final group).  They are the property of BBC and Starz Studios.  (Actually, I don’t own Twilight, either)  I do, however, own the Tregarth family and their neighbors.  I don’t have a problem with you borrowing them, just please ask first and return them alive and as intact as possible.  I don’t ask for unscathed. . .this is Torchwood, after all.  

Torn Asunder 

Chapter One 

Like Any Other Day 

Tregarth Homestead, thirty miles outside Lawton, OK

The day after Esther Drummond’s rescue

Shortly before noon 

 

“WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?”

It was, ironically enough, that bellow that awoke Esther Drummond on the first morning of her freedom from the Families’ captivity, rather than whatever provoked said bellow.  She raised her head from the incredibly comfortable pillow, blinking blearily at the blurry figure in front of her.  A familiar voice murmured, “Good morning, Esther Drummond.  Did you sleep well last night?”  Jack.  Esther rubbed at her eyes, and the equally familiar features of Captain Jack Harkness came into focus.  He smiled at her and Esther sat up, yawning.

“G’morning, Jack.  I did.  What got under Rex’s skin at. . .” Esther blinked again to bring the clock into focus, before grinning ruefully at Jack, “eleven thirty in the morning?”  Jack sat down on the bed, glancing at the occupant of the other bed.  Or rather, occupants.  Natalie Tregarth lay on her side, sound asleep, with one arm flung over her young daughter, who was also sound asleep.  Ailsa Tregarth snuffled in her sleep and burrowed even close to her mother.  Evidently, not even Rex’s outraged bellow was enough to wake the exhausted pair.  Good for them.

“I believe Octavia took a page from her mother’s book, and tracked down a bugle,” Jack answered dryly.  Esther snickered.  Seriously?  Jack nodded, adding, “That was one of Sophia’s tricks, especially to get a particularly stubborn daughter out of bed in time for school.  Although, Carlyon tells me that she did the same to get his attention a few times.  I’ll let you in on a little secret. . .she did the courting, more so than Carlyon.”  Esther felt her eyebrows disappear into her hairline, and Jack confirmed, “Yep.  Sophia wasn’t a hellcat, despite her auburn hair, but she was fiercely determined.  She told me once that she took one look at Carlyon at one of the diplomatic functions she attended with her father, and decided right then and there to marry him.  She was nineteen, and it took her three years to get him to the altar.”

“She sounds like she was something else,” Esther murmured.  Jack nodded, his blue eyes filled with sadness, and longing.  Esther reached over and covered his hand with her own, saying softly, “Thank you for coming for me, Jack.  I forgot to say so yesterday, but thank you.”  Jack’s free hand came over to rest on top of hers and he kissed the top of her head.  She chose not to question where Gwen was, and instead, asked softly. “What happens now?  Because whatever happens, I’m Torchwood now.”  She said it proudly and Jack smiled.

“Not sure yet, really.  While we were on the road yesterday, Carlyon told me that he wanted two things.  One, to make sure things were okay between us. . .long story there and ancient history.  Two, he wanted us to restart Torchwood together, here in Oklahoma, as partners.  He would more or less be the figurehead, dealing with UNIT and the headaches that I had as director, while I was the field team leader.  I gotta admit, it sounds tempting, Esther.  I’m just not sure if I want to stay here.  The UK has been my home ever since I arrived on this planet on the slow path, back in the late nineteenth century,” Jack told the girl.  She tugged on his wrist, pulling him down alongside her, and he stretched out on the bed beside her, adding, “And you’re welcome to join us, if I do stay.  Just understand that you have to earn Carlyon’s trust.”

Esther curled against him, replying, “Wouldn’t expect anything else.  Mmm.  I could go back to sleep like this, you’re nice and warm.”  She felt him laugh, his hand running lightly over her hair.  There were times when she slept beside him after he was shot, but it wasn’t comfortable like this.  She often slept beside him in those months to make sure he was still breathing, to comfort him when his nightmares became particularly intense, and to cool his burning skin when they were fighting the worst of the fevers.  However, she didn’t think she would be going back to sleep any time soon, not with Rex carrying on the way he was.

“Who is that caterwauling, and can I shoot him?” a sleepy, cranky voice asked from the other bed, and Esther glanced over to see Natalie’s eyes barely open.  Ailsa was whimpering softly and Natalie soothed her gently, murmuring, “’S all right, sweetheart, go back to sleep.  Ganda will thump the bad man who woke you up.”  Apparently, someone did, because an outraged yowl echoed through the house and Natalie observed a bit smugly, “See?”

“The only question is, who actually did it. . .was it Carlyon, Octavia, or Priscilla?” Jack questioned softly as Ailsa settled back down.  It looked like Natalie was having a harder time going back to sleep, though, even if it seemed like she was trying mightily.  Esther shook her head and snuggled a little closer to Jack.  It wasn’t just for any of the obvious reasons (which were also true), but because there was a part of her that couldn’t believe she was really free, not just from captivity, but from those awful voices in her head which tried to convince her that Jack turned against her, didn’t care that she was a prisoner.

“Don’t suppose it matters.  Would I need to do anything special to earn Mr. Tregarth’s trust?  Aside from not calling Social Services while we’re on an op?” Esther asked, still somewhat mortified by that action, even five months later.  Jack’s arms tightened around her.  She knew that he had long since forgiven her, and she redeemed herself with her care for him after he was shot, but. . .  Jack could have died.  If the assassin hadn’t been fascinated with what the Families wanted with him, he could have died, right then and there.  And it would have been her fault.

“Just be yourself, Esther.  Just be yourself, stay focused.  And, when I first got to the States after Rex called me, I looked up Sarah.  She and your nieces are fine, Esther.  I think between having the girls taken from her and believing you dead, she started turning her life around.  Is she actually on the right track?  For now.  Will she relapse?  She might.  But that’s not your responsibility.  If she starts down spiraling again, I will step in personally and take custody of the girls on your behalf.  Acceptable?” Jack asked.  More than acceptable.  But. . .

“You checked on Sarah for me?” she asked and Jack nodded, his eyes never leaving her face.  There were so many ways to thank him for that.  For so many years, she was the responsible sister, making sure that the girls were properly fed, the bills were paid, that Sarah was looking after them properly.  For the last five months, she’d been unable to do that.  And now, she was learning that Jack did it for her.  No one had ever done anything like that for her before.  She could have kissed him.  She wanted to kiss him.  But instead, she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly, whispering, “Thank you.” 

TWTWTWTWTW 

Ohhh, that was fun!  Octavia Brigitte Tregarth Martinelli stumbled from the room assigned to Rex Matheson the previous night, giggling hysterically.  She could already tell it would be fun to wind up the former CIA agent.  Her father, who was in the kitchen pouring orange juice, looked up with a mildly disapproving expression and she snickered, “It was worth it.  Whatever comes next, it was worth it.  What’s for brunch, Daddy?”  She kissed his cheek and heard him issue a long-suffering sigh.  Octavia just snickered again.  It was so long since she heard that out of him.  Usually, Jack could provoke it without even trying. . .that long-suffering sigh that had as much to do with affection as it did with exasperation.

“You are a very bad person, young lady.  However, considering I raised you after your mother’s illness, I suppose I only have myself to blame.  Before the agent comes in, I need to inform you:  Jack figured out the truth about Natalie last night,” her father told her, putting his hand on her wrist as she reached for the plates.  Oh.  Oh boy.  She looked at him, and he smiled faintly, adding, “Don’t ask me how he figured it out, but he did.  And, he has agreed to let me tell her the truth sometime before we awaken your mother.”  Whew.  All right then. 

“So when do you plan to tell her?  I’m guessing that Pris knows about this, too,” Octavia asked softly and her father nodded.  Well, at least she and her older sister had some time to deal with the potential fall-out.  Nat had believed for the last thirty-plus years that she was Priscilla’s daughter and Octavia’s niece.  To find out that they were her sisters, and that Adriane was in fact her niece, rather than her sister?  Octavia wondered if maybe they should allow Jack to tell Esther, so she could help pick up the pieces.  The young blonde already had a bond with Natalie, after all.  On the other hand, it would likely hurt Nat that they trusted Esther with the truth, but not her.  And her baby sister would see it as a matter of trust, rather than a matter of her safety.  She was still so innocent about so many things. 

“Well, we have two weeks before your mother awakens.  Jack helped me last night with the sequence that will start the revivification process.  Sometime in the next two weeks.  I know, it should be sooner, rather than later, but I. . .I’m not ready to tell her, Tavie.  I’m not ready to tell her and run the risk of her hating me,” her father whispered.  Octavia’s heart wrenched, not just at the admission, but at the long-forgotten nickname.  The last time either of her parents called her ‘Tavie’ was when her mother was placed into a medically induced coma and put on ice.  Such a long time ago.

“Daddy, it’s gonna be fine.  Yes, she will probably be upset, but she’ll get over it.  She always does,” Octavia murmured.  It sounded callous. . .they were talking about a woman finding out that her family was a little more mixed-up than she realized, after all, and more to the point, about her little sister.  But things could be far worse, and her father did need to remember that.  She was actually more worried about how her two boys and Adriane would take the knowledge that their cousin was in fact their aunt.  It really wouldn’t make a difference to Ailsa. 

“I hope so.  Good morning, Agent Matheson, I hope you slept well,” her father said as the very disgruntled former agent entered the kitchen.  Rex looked decidedly unimpressed but accepted the proffered glass of orange juice.  Octavia smirked and began setting the table.  Rex scowled at her and her father continued, “Please forgive my daughter.  It has been a long time since we had guests, and her playful side got the better of her.  That is not the approved form of awakening people in this household.  Is it, Octavia Brigitte?”

“He deserved it, especially if his howling woke up the rest of the house,” Octavia replied as she opened and closed the cabinet doors, searching for the assortment of pastries she kept for breakfast.  She called over her shoulder, “Dad, we weren’t out of the pastries last night, were we?  I could have sworn that Nicky had everything re-stocked for us when we got home.  Oh, never mind, I found ‘em.  Ahhh, and he once more got the apple turnovers.  Try telling me he doesn’t have a crush on Adriane!”  Her father rolled his eyes and she just smirked as she walked back to the table, the plastic box of apple turnovers in her hand.

“Yes, it’s been established that he has a crush on Adriane. . .and Agent Matheson didn’t start howling, as you put it, until after you blew your mother’s bugle,” her father pointed out.  Ah, semantics, mere semantics.  Her smile brightened as her older sister appeared, looking sleepy and bleary-eyed, and Adriane following in her wake.  The twenty-two year old looked no older than Ailsa, but her expression cleared when she saw Octavia and she surged into her aunt’s arms with an excited squeal that had Rex, Priscilla and Dad covering their ears.  Octavia’s hands were at her niece’s back, which made covering her own ears problematic.  And Matheson was reveling in that.  That was fine.  She would get payback later.

“So, Natalie is home, too?  Thank God.  I was worried sick about her,” Adriane said into Octavia’s shoulder.  Yes, she knew how worried Adriane was for her aunt.  And Octavia really wished she would talk to someone about whatever she witnessed in DC that upset her so badly.  Then again, Octavia admitted ruefully, she doesn’t exactly have the best example with this family.  The Tregarths in general aren’t real good with admitting weakness.  And that was exactly how Adriane would see whatever upset her so. . .as a weakness.  Adriane continued, “I’m sorry I was asleep when you guys got in.”

“Yes, we were a little later getting in than any of us anticipated,” Octavia snarked at her older sister.  Priscilla rolled her eyes as she padded over to take an orange juice from their father.  It wasn’t her sister’s fault, and she knew that, but she had to give someone a hard time.  She spent most of this morning (what was left of it, at least), giving Matheson a rough time. . .it was time to switch her attention to someone else.  She explained to her niece, “We got to the Texas-Oklahoma border, and your mother decides we need to stop.”

“You are such a child, Octavia.  I mean, God forbid that we would want to get a new shirt for Jack after those three bitches shot him, and maybe some painkillers for Esther and Natalie.  Oh, the horrors!” Priscilla snarked right back.  Hmm, Octavia was almost impressed.  Her older sister continued as Adriane padded over to tuck herself against Priscilla’s side, “On the other hand, I think that’s the problem. . .I got to see Jack without a shirt, and she didn’t.  Next time, ride with Dad, and maybe you’ll get that opportunity, little sister.”

Dad intervened before the sisterly one-upwomanship could really get going, saying, “Speaking of Jack, I think someone should check on him, Esther, and Natalie.  Adriane, have a seat, darling.  Since your bugle likely caused them to wake, Octavia, you should be the one to check on them.”  Octavia started to protest, but Dad continued, “Your bugle woke Agent Matheson, and he yelped as a result, which in turn likely woke Esther and possibly Natalie and Ailsa.  Ergo, you get to check on them.”  And he offered one of his most saccharine smiles.

“Besides, look at it this way, Tavie. . .you might get to see Jack without his shirt.  Dad, did he say why he was sleeping outside Esther and Natalie’s room?  Or was he just so tired that he didn’t care where he slept?” Priscilla added, asking the question that bugged Octavia after she found the sleeping immortal lying on his side when she came down for breakfast.  And technically, it was a guest room, rather than Natalie’s (which was actually on the second level, along with most of the bedrooms), much less Natalie and Esther’s, but neither girl had the energy to go further the previous night.

“He wanted to guard them.  Jack really doesn’t sleep much, even when I first met him.  When he wasn’t dying and reviving, that is,” Dad replied.  Oh yes, that was a story they knew well.  She and Pris heard the story of Jack’s first meeting with their father many, many times. . .how Captain Jack Harkness swept the five year old Carlyon Tregarth into his arms when the earthquake started and tucked him against his own body, protecting him from the debris with his own body.  They heard about how Jack held that little boy for hours while they were being dug out, singing to him, telling him stories (likely heavily-edited versions of his own adventures).

“Do they need to be guarded?” Matheson asked, speaking for the first time since Priscilla and Adriane’s arrival.  The sisters looked at their father, who shrugged.  General translation, it didn’t matter if they needed to be guarded or not, Jack would do it.  However, Matheson didn’t know Dad-speak, which was why he didn’t get a dirty look when he asked, somewhat testily, “What, exactly, does that mean?  Is World War II right to worry about Esther and your granddaughter?” 

“I believe I asked you not to call him that last night, Agent Matheson,” Dad replied icily.  Well, actually, no, he didn’t, but Octavia wouldn’t interrupt her father right now.  Dad continued, “And it means that the young ladies are safe, but Jack is more comfortable with ensuring their safety personally.  He was aware that Natalie still isn’t entirely comfortable with him or his inability to stay dead, and so he remained outside the room they shared last night to protect them.”  And as if summoned by her father’s words, Jack Harkness and Esther Drummond entered the kitchen with Octavia’s baby sister and youngest niece. 

TWTWTWTWTW 

Fifteen miles from the Tregarth residence

Roughly the same time 

She did something bad. . .something terrible.  It was supposed to be a bit of fun, teenaged rebellion, something to show her friends that she could be just as cool as they were, that there was more to her that just being a ‘good girl.’  But now, two of those friends were. . .gone.  Just gone.  Not dead, just gone, and it was all because of something she did.  She was sixteen years old and she was scared out of her mind.  She did something terrible, and she had no idea who could help her fix things.  Or even if anyone could help her fix this.

Toni Weber sat in her room, reading over the book she used the night before.  It looked like just your average paranormal romance, kinda like Twilight, only with immortals and time travel and dimension jumping, instead of vampires and werewolves. . .and the heroine was actually cool, instead of a pathetic loser like Bella.  Seriously?  She went catatonic for three months ‘cause Edward left?  Seriously?  That was just pitiful.  And there were girls Toni’s age who actually liked Bella?  Ew!

She needed to focus.  If she could re-read the passage she read while she and her friends sat together at midnight, maybe she could bring them back.  But as it had every time she read it previously, the words were totally innocuous.  It was just a passage from a book, nothing special.  It wasn’t even a spell. . .but her friends disappeared for a reason, and after she was finished crying, Toni Weber was determined to find a way to get them back.  If she could figure out how they disappeared, maybe she could get them out.

She had to try. 

TWTWTWTWTW 

It wasn’t the best night’s sleep he ever had (or rather, four hours of sleep), but Jack Harkness was awake and alert even before he heard Rex yowling in protest.  He had a lot to consider, even without Carlyon’s offer.  His first stop when he returned to the UK after Esther’s funeral was to check on Melissa.  He kept out of sight, of course, and reassured himself that his daughter was able to function. . .he couldn’t say she was all right, he couldn’t say she would ever be all right.  But she could function, and that was as all right as anyone could be, given what she lost.  He whispered that he loved her, before slipping away.  He needed to see Martha, and make sure she was all right.

She was fine. . .happily married to Mickey Smith and quietly protecting the Earth on her terms.  Not UNIT’s, not Torchwood’s, not even the Doctor’s, but her own, and Jack was so proud of her.  She stared at him for just a moment, and then threw herself into his arms, pulled back long enough to swat the back of his head before hugging the breath out of him.  Mickey asked softly if he was involved in the ending of the atrocity known as Miracle Day.  Jack nodded and nothing more was said about that.

They were expecting their first child, and still arguing over what to name the baby.  Ianto and Owen topped the list for boys, and Jack could have wept.  Toshiko was on the list for girls, and still thinking that his young guardian was dead, Jack asked that they add ‘Esther’ to their list.  Of course, he had to explain his request, and since Mickey wasn’t too crazy about the name in general, they compromised on ‘Starr,’ since it was a translation of the name.  Jack was happy with that. . .so long as Esther lived on, so long as she was never forgotten.  He asked her to give his love to the rest of her family, before moving on.

The next leg of his journey was to the old stone farmhouse in St. Margaret’s Halt in Scotland, where he and Esther took refuge until Gwen’s call.  It felt wrong, being there without her, and so he left after just a few hours, before anyone could recognize him.  It was extremely unlikely, but he was unwilling to take that chance.  However, as he left, he whispered, “Long after I’ve forgotten your name, Esther Drummond, I will remember how you cared for me.  Thank you.”  And so he continued over the next few months, revisiting places he remembered and people he cared for.  Because he wasn’t sure any more how Torchwood could continue to function, with just two branches, and he needed to remember why the Institute even existed.

Jack was preparing to head back to London when he received the call from Rex, asking for his help in Colorado.  And so he went.  Now, he was being offered the chance to recreate Torchwood, to build it from the ground up.  He would be in charge of field operations, while Carlyon took care of the figurehead duties, dealing with UNIT and other individuals who gave Jack a headache.  It was tempting.  It was so damn tempting.  The chance to work alongside an old friend, in a position where he knew he was effective?  Oh yeah.  But did he want to stay here?  The UK was home to him, after all.

He was still mulling over that when the entire house heard Rex’s bellow, and Jack slipped inside the guest room to check on the girls.  They were both awake, but not inclined to get up at the moment.  Jack didn’t blame them at all. . .and then Esther pulled him onto the bed beside her.  He held her and smelled her hair and felt the warmth of her skin against his own flesh and rejoiced silently because she was alive, and rather than be angry that he didn’t realize she was alive, she was grateful that he rescued her.

Eventually, all four of them left the beds and made their way downstairs, where Natalie’s two older sisters were bickering like the sisters they were, Rex and Carlyon were engaged in a glaring match (really, what was up with that?) and nearly everyone was gathered except Tavie’s two boys, Jason and Lucas.  Really good-looking boys they were, too.  Tavie. . .Octavia, she wasn’t a little girl any more. . .mentioned that she was a widow now.  In some ways, he was stunned at the woman she had become.  Last night, during the drive to the homestead, he learned that she was a cop, up until a Torchwood mission went horrifically wrong eighteen years earlier.  She was lucky to survive, but the injury done to her back ended her career as a police officer.  Eight years after that, she lost her husband in the 2001 attacks. . .David Martinelli was also a cop.  She hadn’t remarried so far.  That wasn’t to say she wouldn’t, but thus far, she hadn’t found anyone who came close to her late husband.

And at other times, he saw the little girl whom he remembered, the one who would run to him, throw her arms around his leg and hold on as he limped around.  She was still Tavie, still that little girl, still very capable of driving her older sister nuts.  From what he heard, she and Rex were already turning into the Bickersons, which truly amused him.  He wasn’t sure about the age difference between them, but if bickering turned to something else, he would make sure he warned Rex what would happen to him if he hurt Tavie.

“That’s not entirely true,” Natalie said softly, still holding Ailsa.  The little girl was slumped bonelessly against her, arms wound around her mother’s neck.  Jack raised an eyebrow questioningly, and Natalie explained, “Grandfather said that I’m not entirely comfortable with you, or with your inability to stay dead.  I’m just coming to terms with it, that’s all.  Plus, I was so tired last night, I couldn’t see straight.  I think if Lucas hadn’t steered me to the bed, I might have fallen asleep on the floor.”  Jack barely bit back a grin.  Yeah, he got that distinct impression.  And he had to remind himself not to correct Natalie when she referred to Carlyon as her grandfather. . .she didn’t yet know the truth.  And it wasn’t his story to tell.

“Don’t worry,” he told her as the stand-off between Carlyon and Rex finally ended and everyone was permitted to take a seat at the kitchen table, “it takes a little getting used to.  I’ve had nearly two thousand years, and it still. . .”   He thought of those centuries under the ground and shuddered.  Natalie covered one hand with her own, while Esther did the same.

“I’m so sorry,” Natalie said quietly, and he believed her.  Not just for her panicked reaction when he returned to life the previous day, but for the way she struggled to accept this strange new reality.  She was trying, she was trying so hard, and he appreciated that.  But there was more, as he discovered when she said, “I can’t imagine the people you’ve known and loved and lost.  But you’re still sane and you’re still trying to protect others, so I guess you were special long before you became immortal.  ‘Cause I’m guessing from what I’ve heard Grandfather say, you weren’t always like that.”

“No.  No, I spent the first thirty-odd years of my life as a completely mortal human being.  My life expectancy was double in comparison to yours, but I was mortal and aged at a semi-normal rate.  As for special, I don’t know about that. . .I was a con artist at one time,” Jack observed.  It wasn’t something he was proud of, but it was also something he wouldn’t hide.  And Natalie looked up at him with thoughtful eyes.  She had her mother’s eyes, he realized for the first time.  They were slightly darker than Sophia’s, but they were her mother’s eyes, nonetheless.

“But you got a second chance, right? To turn your life around and remember who you really are?  And you didn’t throw that away?” she inquired and Jack shrugged.  He wasn’t sure about the ‘whom he really was’ part.  Natalie sighed, rolling her eyes with obvious exasperation, “In other words, you’ve tried, but sometimes you’ve fallen down.  Grandfather does that sometimes, and it usually means that he tried and failed, took a few steps back, figured out where he went wrong and did it again.  You keep trying and you learn from your mistakes.”  Jack blinked in astonishment and the girl heaved a long-suffering sigh, this time sounding just like her father, and asked, “Why does everyone think I’m a naïve idiot?  I’m not a child.  You do not reach the age of thirty-four, work several types of jobs, and have a child, without learning a few things.  Granted, I didn’t give birth to Ailsa, but I’ve raised her.  However, my two male cousins think I’m incapable of deception or keeping secrets.  My sister thinks I can’t possibly comprehend whatever she went through in DC. . .and so long as I don’t know what that is, I can’t.  Your buddy Matheson there threatens to put a bullet through my brain if I betray you, never mind that I’ve been risking my sanity and my life for the last three months to keep Esther safe.”

Her voice never rose in volume, but Jack got the impression that it was only by a concerted effort.  It seemed that getting some sleep just gave her the energy to vent her aggravation and being away from the Families gave her the freedom to do so.  He was also interested to note that her hand never stopped moving through her daughter’s hair and down the child’s back.  He said carefully, “I really don’t think anyone considers you an idiot.  Jason and Lucas want to protect you, especially Jason.  I don’t know about your sister, but maybe she isn’t ready to tell you about whatever she saw in DC that upset her so badly.  As for Rex. . .don’t take it personally, things got really bad during our first go-round with the Families.”

Natalie snorted as she took a seat, carefully sliding Ailsa across her lap, and replied, “If Jason and Lucas want to protect me, they’ll warn me when I need a hazmat suit going into the bathroom.  And as for Adriane, she needs to stop being a drama queen, ‘you don’t know what I went through in DC,’ and then clam up about it.  I‘m getting really sick of it.”  The chatter from the rest of the table drowned out her words to all but Jack, and maybe Ailsa (although it looked like she fell back to sleep as soon as her mother sat down).  It wasn’t just her frustration with her own family that was starting to gush forward, he realized. . .it was everything she bottled up during the months she spent in the employ of the Families.

He didn’t bother telling her that she should talk to her family about her frustration.  He was the last person to be giving that piece of advice.  Besides, he had the distinct impression she just wanted someone to listen to her.  She wasn’t ready to tell her family about any of this, because it was a jumbled mess.  But he could listen to her. . .it seemed that was all she really wanted right now.  That meant no silly platitudes (because he hated the damn things himself) or advice.  He could do that.  Besides, after the months of traveling, of trying to come to terms with those five days, of mindless shags and half-baked plots of revenge, of quietly arranging for protection of lost children. . .this might be the easiest thing he had done.

And so, he listened.  And he heard what was said about the Families, about two months of being a faceless, nameless drone, a drone beneath their notice.  But it allowed her to slip under their radar, and Jack couldn’t help but think of Ianto and the parallels between the two situations.  Natalie slipped into the hospital to care for Esther and help her to escape, while Ianto did the same in Torchwood to save Lisa.  But that’s all they were. . .parallels.  The endings were vastly dissimilar, and for that, he was very, very grateful.

Somewhere during the conversation, the rest of the table fell silent.  All eyes were on them, and Natalie blanched at the obvious horror in the eyes of her father and sisters as she talked about the overt and covert cruelty demonstrated by the Families toward everyone who wasn’t them.  It could have been worse. . .the lull in the conversation could have come when she described the nights she cried into her pillow.  However, she lifted her chin proudly, meeting each pair of eyes head-on.  And Esther quietly scooted her chair next to Natalie, her support on full display for all to see.  But it was Rex who said, glancing over at Octavia, “Still think your niece can’t lie?”

“HEY!  I told you that my sons didn’t think she could lie!” Tavie retorted, and they were off again.  However, it took attention away from Natalie, who began relaxing.  She was talked out at the moment, and turned her attention to her breakfast.  But Jack saw both her eldest sister and their father watching her carefully, before exchanging a long look.  What that meant, he didn’t know but if he remained here, she would be one of his responsibilities.

If he remained. 

TWTWTWTWTWTW 

It wasn’t unheard of to have earthquakes in Oklahoma.  Yes, tornadoes and dust storms were far more prevalent and yes, earthquakes were common in California and Alaska, but they weren’t rare in Oklahoma.  Most of the time, they were small earthquakes, barely even noticeable.  But Lucas Martinelli definitely felt the earth move the previous night, shortly after they returned home from New Mexico. . .and it wasn’t because of particularly hot sex.  Lucas hadn’t been with anyone in weeks, after all.

The trouble was, this ‘earthquake’ was behaving in a very strange manner.  He wasn’t seeing references to it on the USGA website.  Was it possible that it hadn’t been reported?  Well, yeah, but it was highly unlikely.  Something that powerful in an area that doesn’t generally get more than a four pointer would get attention, in a big way.

So, something else was going on.  And before heading downstairs for breakfast (yeah, he heard the bugle, as well as Agent Matheson’s answering yelp, and Lucas was ninety percent sure that his mother was the one blowing the bugle), he did some additional research on the web.  Nothing was found so far, but he was still looking.  And in truth, he was more than a little distracted by his puzzle, until the only conversation remaining was the one between his cousin and Captain Jack Harkness (who was, he admitted, as impressive as his aunt and mother said.  Even if he flirted with everyone, including the family patriarch).

And speaking of flirting. . .was it his imagination, or was his mother flirting with Agent Matheson?  The way she kept hassling him through breakfast, once she diverted attention away from Natalie, Lucas had to wonder.  He didn’t remember as clearly what things were like between his parents before his father’s death, but he also never saw her behave like that toward any other men.  And Aunt Priscilla certainly looked amused, when she wasn’t glancing anxiously toward Natalie, now devouring her own turnover, even though it wasn’t her favorite kind. 

As to his cousin, Lucas missed most of what was said in the beginning, though he could tell she was frustrated by something.  And Harkness was. . .simply listening.  Funny, Lucas could have sworn he’d be the type to dominate the conversation.  But there he was, listening intently to Natalie’s explanation of what things were like inside the compound.  And, what interested Lucas was that her anger was exclusively at the Families. . .at least, with regards to the mission.  She wasn’t real happy with their family for reasons he didn’t fully understand.  Then again, despite being raised by his mother and aunt, Lucas really didn’t understand women.  Did any man?

It wasn’t until toward the end of breakfast that he had a chance to tell his grandfather about his research, explaining about the earthquake and the lack of information on the web.  Harkness immediately stiffened in his seat, drawing the attention of both Natalie and Esther (who was pretty damn cute, when all was said and done).  But it was his grandfather who asked quietly, directing his question to the somewhat anachronistic captain, “You think a new Rift has opened, Jack?  I know that the one in Cardiff is closed, but. . .”

“It might not be the same one,” Harkness acknowledged, “I’m hoping it isn’t one at all.  But yeah, the thought crossed my mind.”  He looked anxious and just a little sick.  If Lucas was to be really honest with himself, that expression worried him.  From what he observed of Harkness over the last day or so, it wasn’t like him. That made him worry.  Esther asked softly what they would have to look out for, if a new Rift did open in the local area, and Harkness explained, “Well, the Rift is a tear in time and space, a gate to other dimensions, other times, other planets.  A very random portal.  So there would be more people and things disappearing.  By the same token, alien items will sometimes appear or Cold-War era toasters and sometimes even individuals from the past.  At Christmastime in 2006, a plane from 1953 flew through the Rift, carrying three passengers.”

“Is there any way we can check this out?  I mean, I’m guessing that this Rift isn’t something you actually see, or there would be a way to avoid it?” Esther questioned and Harkness nodded, though Lucas wasn’t sure yet which question was being answered.  Matheson frowned at her and Esther said, “I did do quite a lot of research into Torchwood at the onset of Miracle Day, Rex, and there were mentions of the Rift.  Some of the documents were redacted heavily, but not all of them.  And there were other times when I heard of the Rift.”

“Yeah, when you were with World War II there,” Matheson snorted and ignored Grandfather’s throat-clearing.  The temperature in the room dropped several degrees and Jason, whose own seat was beside Matheson’s, began edging away.  Lucas followed suit, even though he was separated from Matheson by Adriane.  Or maybe that’s why he did so. . .because Adriane was glowering at Matheson as well, and Lucas really didn’t want to get caught in the crossfire when his more volatile cousin went off.  And he knew she would.

“Yes, during those months when I was with Jack,” Esther answered coolly, “even though I chose my side even before then.”  Matheson blanched, as if she actually slapped him, and Esther continued, returning her attention to Harkness, “So, if we want to investigate this Rift, this portal, how would we go about doing that?  Because if I’ve learned anything about you, Jack, it’s that you won’t let this go.  Your curiosity won’t allow you to.”  Well, that was one crisis averted, at least for now, although Lucas would take bets on how much longer that would last.

“Well, if that gorgeous young man can get me the coordinates, I’ll go check it out.  And before you ask, you’re welcome to come along, but I don’t think either of us should drive.  You’re still getting your strength back, and I keep getting complaints about driving on the correct side of the road,” Harkness replied.  Lucas found himself blushing to the very roots of his hair.  Harkness looked at Grandfather, adding, “And you had no idea of this, Carlyon?”  Grandfather shook his head, and Harkness seemed to accept that.

“I can drive you, Captain Harkness.  Lucas, program my GPS with those coordinates for me, will you?  Let me finish my turnover and put Ailsa back to bed.  If she wakes up before we get home, Mom, tell her that we’ll be home as soon as we can,” Natalie volunteered.  Lucas saw his mother and aunt exchange a look.  Evidently, he wasn’t the only one, for Natalie sighed, “So, now you doubt my ability to drive?”  Oooh, so that was what she was so frustrated about.  Might be a good idea to stay put, at least he was sure he wouldn’t be hit with something.

“Not at all, my dear,” Grandfather interposed smoothly, “Just concerned that you didn’t get enough sleep last night.  You’re more than capable of ferrying Captain Harkness and Miss Drummond to this location.  But, since it was Lucas who found this information, I believe he should accompany the three of you.”  Wait, what?  Grandfather continued, his lips twisting into a mischievous smile, “Don’t be afraid, Lucas. . .I know from long years of experience that Captain Harkness will only bite if you ask him to.”

Mom erupted into giggles, Aunt Pris face-palmed, and both Esther and Natalie looked a little nonplussed, though the blonde girl was trying very hard not to smile.  Captain Harkness observed, “And I only bite if the other person is interested.”  What went unsaid, even though Lucas was pretty sure that everyone in the room heard it anyhow, was that most people usually were interested.  Oh yeah.  This was gonna be a real interesting assignment! 

TBC