Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 17 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
580
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
17
Hits:
1,472

After From Childhood's Hour

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "From Childhood's Hour"

Work Text:

Dave saw Caroline out to the cab. He opened the back passenger door for her. “I’ll call you later,” he said hoarsely.

Caroline kissed his cheek and whispered, “Thanks, David.”

Dave managed a half smile and shut the door. She pressed her hand to the window and he saw the tears in her eyes. He waved. He watched until the cab disappeared from sight.

He turned and went back inside. He went straight to the drinks cabinet. He poured a scotch.

He sank down into one corner of the couch. He didn’t bother with any lights. He sipped his drink, absently staring at the flames dancing in the fireplace.

Later that’s how Derek found him. Derek took a moment to watch from the doorway. He took in the tense set of Dave’s shoulders, the shattered look on Dave’s face, and the way Dave was cradling his empty glass. He didn’t hesitate to sit next to him.

Dave inhaled sharply. He blinked and ran his free hand down his face. “Derek, I didn’t hear you come in.”

“What’s wrong?”

Dave didn’t meet Derek’s concerned gaze. He set his glass on the coffee table. He sat forward with his elbows resting on his knees.

Derek mirrored Dave’s position. They were close enough that their shoulders touched. “Dave?” he prompted gently.

Dave stared straight ahead. He set his jaw and shook his head. However, he made no move to put any distance between them.

Derek tried for a light tone but it came out sounding forced and fell flat. “I thought you said you were going to let her down easy if you had to tell her about us.”

“It didn’t…” Dave’s voice trailed off. He cleared his throat. “It didn’t come up after her news.”

Derek put an arm around Dave’s shoulders. “What news?”

Dave angrily blinked back the moisture he could feel gathering in his eyes. He squeezed his eyes shut and pinched the bridge of his nose. He grunted in frustration.

Derek pulled Dave closer and kissed his temple. “Come on, Dave,” he whispered. “Don’t make me put Garcia on the case.”

Dave didn’t resist resting against Derek’s warm body. He let out a shaky breath. “She’s got Lou Gehrig’s disease.”

Derek’s eyes got wide in shock. “That…” he tried to find the right words. “…that sucks.”

“When we got divorced, we promised we’d be there for each other. Spouses or significant others would just have to understand.” Dave paused. He swallowed heavily. “She asked me to help her end it when the time’s right.”

“What did you say?”

“I said I’d have to think about it. I can’t imagine helping her kill herself, but…” Dave pulled away just enough to look at Derek’s face. “I’ve known her most of my life. We were kids together. How do I say no to her? How do I make her live with the pain?”

Derek shrugged helplessly. “Maybe it won’t come to that.”

The look on Dave’s face was as close as he ever got to pleading. “And if it does?”

Derek’s gut clenched. “We’ll figure something out,” he stuttered, “Maybe hospice care.” He leaned in close again to press their foreheads together. “But you don’t have to decide anything tonight. For right now, let’s go upstairs and I’ll take care of you.” He lowered his voice to barely above a whisper. “Remember, I love you.”

Dave brought a hand up to cup the side of Derek’s face. “I love you too.”

Series this work belongs to: