Actions

Work Header

He's Not My Dad

Summary:

He was a sponge. A useless bum, a lush.

Work Text:

He's Not My Dad
Mickey

STORY STATUS: Completed 9/17/05

WORD COUNT: 249

AUTHORS NOTE: A possible look at what life was like for a young Jack O'Neill. This is a response to the September 16th Drabble word 'Sponge'.


He was a sponge. A useless bum, a lush, an alcoholic. He hid it well.

Whatever word you used, Jack hated his stepfather. His face was red with fury.

How dare that bastard talk about his father that way? Just who the Hell did his stepfather think he was?

Major Charles Jonathan O'Neill was a hero. He'd served bravely with the Air Force 187th Fighter Squadron until his death in the Korean War, leaving his wife to bury her husband too young, and raise their son on her own. Jack was only a year old.

His mother had remarried four years later. It was hate at first sight for Jack. He could tell right off that Dean was bad.

His mother couldn't.

Jack couldn't get mad at her. Dean was a charmer. Everyone liked him, even Grandma O'Neill.

Dean brought her flowers. He said nice things to her. Never hit, and rarely yelled at Jack. At least not in front of her. So his mom let it slide that he expected her to do all the cooking and housework, although she worked full time too.

She let the drinking slide too. Denied it was a problem.

Jack hid the bruises well. He had to protect his mom.

Jack rubbed his eyes. He wasnt going to cry anymore. He was almost nine years old now. Way too old to cry.

No matter what the creep said or did, Jack would be strong. He'd never call that abusive son-of-a-bitch 'Dad'.


TBC