Actions

Work Header

Mangos

Summary:

In response to Kel2's "mango" challenge, this is a day in the life of Atlantis, post S5 series finale, in which Rodney enjoys a treat in the Mess.

Work Text:

Rodney was unaware of the stares tossed at him from every corner of the room, from women and men alike.  All he seemed to be aware of was the sweet, slightly bitter tang of the yellow fleshy meat as he made short work of it.

The Stargate between Earth and Atlantis had made travel, and resupply of Atlantis, quite mundane, once a stash of new, fully charged ZedPMs were found in an Ancient lab facility during a routine meet and greet operation.  The inhabitants of the planet were quite willing to let the unusual (and unusable to them) devices for little more than a symbolic treaty of peace and some grains (of which Rodney had tsked and shaken his head, telling Woolsey he was no better than early American settlers who negotiated for present-day Manhattan with a few baubles and coins, which of course made Woolsey sweeten the deal, though he'd never tell Rodney that fact).

A side effect of the mundanity of Earth transit was that the supplies to Atlantis had been renewed, and foodstuffs had changed from flash-frozen products and MREs to fresh meats and ripening fruit by the caseload.  Which is how McKay came upon the mango that he was making short work of.

The conversation hadn't started with words; instead, as Rodney plopped down at the table with his team, he leaned over to Sheppard, immediately going for his side and grabbing the knife, ignoring his partner's "What the hell, Rodney?" outburst.  He wipes the blade of the knife on a napkin, then cuts into the fruit, juice dripping down his hands.  That's the first time John realizes he was in trouble, focusing on Rodney's tongue as it lapped at the dripping juice of his arm, causing images in his head that went straight to his groin.

Rodney made quick work of the mango, cutting it like a professional chef, then using the knife to make quick work of the juicy flesh.  From the precision cutting, Sheppard could tell Rodney had been working on his knife skills, which somehow pleased his inner Air Force-self.

John watches as Ronon pulls a knife from his hair, then goes to nick a piece of the fruit for himself.  "Do you mind?" Rodney objects, watching Ronon pop the treat into his mouth.  "Sanitary much?" Rodney just says under his breath, all the while watching Ronon's face light up at the taste of the treat.

Before anyone else can get to the thought of stealing any more of the fruit, Rodney looks around, giving everyone the stink-eye.  "Get your own," he says, arms encircling the fruit possessively.  He dives back into the treat, making noises that are barely ever uttered outside of his and John's bed.

John leans closer to his lover and smiles, then leans in to kiss Rodney, enjoying the mixture of tastes that flow between them.  Rodney tastes like rich Kona coffee, sourdough bread, and of course the ever-present fruit.  With a pat on Rodney's arm, he gets up (ignoring the looks the couple are now getting), saying, "See you later, McKay."