Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
304
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
663

Missing Pieces

Summary:

"It all came down to this, as both angels and demons had known it would."

Work Text:

Missing Pieces
by Sam-Tony
  
It all came down to this, as both angels and demons had known it would.
 
Sam had said yes to save his brother.  Dean had followed yes to save the world.
 
When Castiel looks at the vessel that is Dean Winchester now, all he sees is Michael; inhuman calm and grace and the certainly that this is his right.  Dean Winchester is only his due, the physical tool he was promised by prophecy with which to destroy the Deceiver forever.
 
Castiel no longer gave a damn about prophecy; he just wanted Dean back.  But the humor in him is gone with the choppy, charging gait; the cocky disregard that never quite hid the conviction that saving humanity was his job, his duty.  The family business.
 
Castiel realizes too late that *that* is Dean Winchester's faith; not in following God, but in doing what was right.
 
Dean is long gone, burned out by the possession of the most powerful archangel in Heaven, and Castiel is left to mourn the man who gave everything he had to everyone around him until there was nothing left to give, not even his life.  Not even his soul.
 
Castiel is achingly certain it would have been worth the Fall to have known it.  But the final battle is before them, and though Dean Winchester is long gone to Heaven, his body is still on Earth, and Castiel can not bear to leave even that last remnant of the man he had come to love behind.
 
He stands, braced at Michael's side and it's then, awaiting the demons that Lucifer wearing the body of Sam Winchester will send to test and destroy them that he feels the brush of a hand against his;  fingers that tangle briefly.  He looks up, looks into the celestial blue eyes, and it's Dean he sees.

 

end