Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 13 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
302
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,167

After It Takes a Village

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "It Takes a Village"

Work Text:

Dave lay still in the dark. He was on his side with Derek spooned behind him. He listened to Derek’s too quiet breathing. He pressed back into Derek’s body. His voice came out as a quiet rasp. “Want to talk about it?”

“No,” Derek grumbled.

Dave elbowed Derek lightly. “Then go not sleep in the guest room. Your brooding is keeping me awake.”

“I haven’t made a sound.”

Dave chuckled. “I can hear the gears in your head grinding together. If you’re not careful, smoke will pour out of your ears.”

Derek snorted a laugh. “I’ll try not to let the gears get overheated.”

“So, what’s eating you? Come on. Spill it so this old man can go back to sleep.”

Derek growled softly. “Did you know?”

“No,” Dave answered in simple honestly. He rubbed Derek’s arm around his waist. “Do you think I could keep something like that from you?”

Derek tightened his grip. He nuzzled the back of Dave’s neck. “Hotch trusts you.”

“And he trusts you,” Dave replied earnestly.

“Does he?” Derek sneered. “Sometimes, I wonder.”

“He does.” Dave kept his voice soft, unconfrontational. “It must have been hard for him to keep that secret from us. We’re his family. For a long time, we helped keep him stable.”

“We mourned her, Dave.”

“I know.”

“I begged her not to leave,” Derek whispered vehemently. “I blamed myself for not being fast enough. It took you drumming it into my head that none of it was my fault.”

Dave rolled onto his back, knowing Derek would hardly move so they would still be pressed together. He reached out to touch Derek’s shoulder. His fingers slid up the side of Derek’s neck. He cupped the side of Derek’s face and ran his thumb along Derek’s cheekbone. “And now she’s back. Can you forgive them and move on?”

Derek turned his head to nuzzle Dave’s palm. “I’ll try.”

Series this work belongs to: