Actions

Work Header

Band-Aid

Summary:

She's ready to move on, but at the same time, it hurts. Tail-end of A/OMC and pre-A/O. Rated T just to be safe.

Work Text:

The realization comes to her simply, one day as she's pulling on her blouse for work. No fuss, no drama, no inner monologue, nothing.

This relationship is done. It's like a half-wet band-aid she forgot about. It's time for it to come off.

One half of it will slide off smooth as butter, but the other half will hurt, tearing at her skin. She could ease it by getting the other half wet, she supposes, but that will take more time and effort than she has to spare.

So she decides to talk to him. They haven't gotten too intimate yet- in aspects other than emotion, that is. But they aren't engaged, nor are they even living together. It's the easiest stage to end a relationship at; she's just nipping it in the bud, really.

She takes a deep breath. Then, calm as ever- she is the Ice Queen, after all- she calls him and says she wants to talk, as soon as possible. No, she's not hurt, she's just fine. She just needs to talk, she assures him.

So she goes about everything in the usual way, for a large part of her is perfectly okay with this, and it feels like no big deal. Small enough that it doesn't bear on her conscience.

Actually telling him is nowhere near as simple, however. He's crushed, naturally. That other half of her is, too. She loves... not him, exactly, but still, some things about him.

They go their separate ways. He's too hurt to remain her friend, she knows as much. That's bittersweet for her.

The next few weeks pass normally. She recovers emotionally, gets rid of the guilt and self-consciousness. She even feels ready to move on to another relationship, if the chance should present itself.

And one day, it does.

It seems like the obvious path has been right in front of her this whole time, but she is only just seeing it. Part of her kicks herself for not realizing it sooner; the other part of her is jittery, happy, hesitant- a whole motley of odd emotions, really.

But mostly, excited and eager.

It's as though the sun has set on a long, tedious day, and the sun has risen for a better one.

She realizes that, over the horizon, is Olivia Benson.

Some things have to fall into place first, of course. She's willing to work for it, and she knows it'll take time. Sometimes taking an old band-aid off can hurt, but then you can put a brand-new one on.

A smile appears softly on her face. She feels hopeful, truly hopeful, for the future.