Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
624
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
23
Hits:
917

Italian Lessons - Criminal Minds

Summary:

Italian Lessons -- Criminal Minds style -- Derek wants to learn Italian and Spencer is "helping" -- answer to learning new things challenge at Aphrodite's Blessings.

Work Text:

Derek grunted in frustration. He threw his pen down on top of the thick book on the coffee table before him. He sat back on the couch, squeezed his eyes shut, and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“You’re doing fine, Morgan,” Spencer said helpfully from the recliner next to the couch.

“No, I’m not,” Derek replied petulantly. “I’ve never been good with this kind of thing. I barely passed high school Spanish.”

Spencer gave an encouraging smile. “Relax. You’re making this harder than it has to be.”

Derek scowled at Spencer. “That’s easy for you to say, Boy Genius. All of this comes so fucking easy to you.”

Spencer’s smile didn’t falter. He sipped his coffee and set the mug down. “It does,” he admitted freely. “But plenty of others have achieved what you’re trying to do.”

Derek folded his arms across his chest. He stuck his lower lip out. “Maybe they all have better tutors than I do.”

Spencer clicked his tongue between his teeth. “I’ve had the patience of a saint with you. Prentiss would have hit you upside the head with your English/Italian dictionary by now.”

Derek snorted a laugh. “Hit me with it? She would’ve tried to make me eat it.”

“Don’t make me get the marinara sauce.”

“You wouldn’t.”

Spencer nodded. “Yes, I would,” he said flatly. “And I’d get Prentiss to help me.”

Derek stared at the coffee table. “What happened to the good old days when you acted like a timid mouse around me?”

Spencer chuckled. “I know you better now.”

“And some of Dave’s ample supply of confidence has rubbed off on you.”

“And I happen to know that’s one of the things you love about him,” Spencer said dryly. “And you’re trying to stray from the point of this conversation.”

Derek reached for his beer and took a swig. “And what was that?” he asked sourly.

“That you don’t need to be a genius to learn Italian.”

Derek rolled his eyes and set the bottle down next to the language book that had become the bane of his existence. “Says the genius who speaks how many languages?”

“You could always ask Rossi to teach you.” Spencer paused and arched an eyebrow. “Garcia and I were talking about it the other day. She thinks he would have very persuasive methods.”

Derek laughed despite himself. “I’m sure he would. I can just imagine what she was thinking.”

Spencer’s eyes sparked mischievously. “She wants details, you know.”

Derek smirked. “Well, she’s not getting them. I don’t kiss and tell.”

“So, what about Rossi teaching you? I’m sure you’d have a lot more fun with him than with me.”

Derek sat forward again. He grabbed his pen and studied his book. “Nope.”

Spencer tilted his head to the side. “Why?” he asked curiously.

Derek cleared his throat. He kept his gaze straight ahead. His voice was low. “I want it to be a surprise for our trip.”

One end of Spencer’s mouth quirked up. “You mean he really doesn’t know?”

Derek glared. “No. And he’d better not find out either.”

“That…” Spencer’s voice trailed off. His grin widened. “…sweet.”

Derek slammed his book shut. He chugged the rest of his half full bottle of beer. He jumped to his feet. “Shut up, Reid,” he growled and stalked to the kitchen.

“Il tuo segreto è al sicuro con me,” Spencer called after him.

“Yeah, my secret better be safe with you,” Derek yelled back.

“You’re getting it, Morgan.”

Derek came back in with a full bottle. He flopped back onto the couch. He bared his teeth. “Not another word about my motives, Reid.”

Spencer nodded amiably. “Should we get back to the lesson?”

Derek sighed heavily. “Va bene.”