Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
650
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,079

Broken Promises

Summary:

A teenage girl deals with her fathers absence at important times in her life.

Work Text:


Word Count: 619



When I was four, (yes, I remember that far back) and Mom died you promised me you would always be here for me when I needed you. You promised you'd scare away all under-the-bed and in-the-closet monsters and kiss away all my boo boo's. You promised I was the most important thing in your life. That I would always be "Daddy's little girl." I believed you.

When I was six and wanted to sign up for Little League you promised you'd take me to register. I waited all day for you to take me, Daddy, but you didn't come home till much to late. I missed the cut off date and couldn't play. But I forgave you.

When I was eight I got the lead role of Cinderella in the class play. You promised you'd be there. But you worked late again and you missed it. You brought home flowers for me and apologized. I forgave you.

When I was nine I called you at work one day to make sure you would come home on time. You promised you would. It was your birthday. The baby-sitter helped me make you a cake. You didn't come home till after I'd gone to bed. You came into my room and lightly kissed my forehead. I woke up. You said it was the most beautiful cake you'd ever seen. You said you were sorry for being so late. And I forgave you.

When I was fourteen I was riding my bike and was struck by a car. I had a broken leg, arm, and a concussion. I had stay in the hospital for a week. You came into my room after the surgery and cried. You called me your baby and promised to visit me everyday. You didn't come back till the day I had to sign out. You said you were sorry, that you just couldn't stand seeing your little girl like that. You gave me a big hug and a teddy bear and promised you'd love me forever. I forgave you.

Two months ago I turned sixteen -you made all the arrangements for my sweet sixteen party. Everything I wanted you made sure I'd have. I told you the one thing I wanted most was for you to be there. You promised you'd be there. You told me you wouldn't miss it for the world. All my friends came. So did Grandma and Poppop and your brother Jimmy. Mom's brother and sisters came too. But you never showed. You said the project you where working on was extremely important and had to be finished that day. You said you tried very hard to get done on time. And I forgave you again.

Last week I went for a physical so I could play softball. They said I might be a mutant and I should go to my doctor and be tested to make sure. You promised you'd go with me. You promised that it wouldn't make a difference, you'd love me just the same. I was your little girl. I believed you.

Well, today was the day, Daddy. I had my test. It came back positive. I'm a mutant. The doctor said he doesn't know why my mutation showed up so late. Most people's show at adolescence. Of all the times in my life when I needed you, today I needed you the most. When I was four you promised you'd always be here for me. Well, where are you, Daddy? I'm here, alone and scared. I need you, Daddy. Where are you now? Just what I thought.

Another broken promise. I still love you Daddy, I just can't believe you anymore. I can't forgive you anymore, either.


The End