Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 16 of McHale's Navy Deleted Scenes
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
810
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,012

Deleted Scene: The PT 73 Follies

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "The PT 73 Follies"

Work Text:

Episode Summary:  McHale, The Boys, Parker, and Binghamton are all taken prisoner by the Japanese, but are saved, when they put on a show for their captors. -- from www.tv.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Despite a hot shower, a hot cup of tee, and a warm cinnamon roll (he didn’t know where that came from but God bless Carpenter for it), Binghamton’s teeth were still chattering. He curled up with a blanket on the couch in his quarters. He wore boxers and a t shirt, waiting for Carpenter to come back from the base laundry with a fresh uniform.

He ran a shaking hand through his hair. “Two days alone on an island with nothing but a knife and Parker and you made it, Wally boy. You survived the Japanese and that nitwit trying to kill you.”

He noticed his hand shaking. He scowled and balled it into a tight fist. “The Tiger of Taratupa proves his mettle once again.”

He sipped his tea. “It could’ve been worse,” he muttered under his breath. “You could’ve been stuck with McHale.”

He shifted and answered himself, “McHale wouldn’t have sunk the raft or burned the uniforms.”

He put the tea cup down and hugged the blanket around him tighter. “He probably wouldn’t have been caught by the Japanese either,” he said sourly. “If he wasn’t so good in a fight, I would’ve been able to get rid of him a long time ago.”

He shifted again. He snorted. “I bet he found a nice shady, secret spot. He probably found a way to make booze out of coconut milk and spent the two days drunk. Drunk. Drunk. I knew I should’ve smelled his breath when he came back.”

He frowned. “Wait, Wally. Carpenter was stuck with him. If McHale did anything against regs, Carpenter would’ve told you.”

“Poor Carpenter,” he sighed. “That boy has more courage than I’ve given him credit for. He survived two days alone on a deserted island with McHale without going off his rocker.”

There was a quick knock and Carpenter rushed inside. He stood at attention before Binghamton and saluted. “Here’s your uniform, Sir, freshly pressed.”

Binghamton tilted his head to the side. He openly studied Carpenter. He noted the spotless uniform and the normal eager to please expression. He didn’t see any outward signs of any trauma.

Carpenter frowned. “Is something wrong, Sir?”

Binghamton nodded to himself and returned the salute. “At ease. You’re a good boy, Carpenter.”

Carpenter still frowned. “Thank you,” he said slowly. “Is something wrong?”

Binghamton shook his head. “No, nothing’s wrong.”

Carpenter bit his bottom lip for a moment before he smiled. “Do you want to change now, Sir?”

“Not just yet. Hang it in my room.”

“Yes, Captain,” Carpenter said crisply and disappeared into Binghamton’s bedroom. He was back a second later. “Is there anything else I can do?”

Binghamton stared up at Carpenter. He pursed his lips in thought. “How did you do it?”

“Do what?”

“Survive the survival test alone with McHale?”

Carpenter gasped and looked away. He nervously rubbed the back of his neck. “Oh, Sir.”

Binghamton saw Carpenter’s blush. He sat up straight. “What did he do? What? What? What?”

Carpenter shook his head. “Nothing.”

Binghamton rubbed his hands together in evil glee. “Come on. Give me something that I can use to nail him to the wall.”

Carpenter started coughing. His face turned beet red. He stepped back.

Binghamton stood and slapped his back. “Breathe, boy. Breathe.”

“I’m fine, Sir,” Carpenter wheezed. He took a deep breath and stood at attention. He puffed his chest out. “Honestly, there’s nothing to report. He knew I was your eyes and ears. He was on his best behavior.”

“Oh,” Binghamton sighed in disappointment and slumped back down onto the couch. He buried his face in his hands.

“He didn’t do anything I wouldn’t do,” Carpenter added hastily.

Binghamton took his glasses off to clean them. “McHale acting like a proper navy man.” He put them back on in time to see Carpenter shrug apologetically. “I didn’t think that was possible.”

“You’ve always said how sneaky he is.”

“That’s true.” Binghamton’s shoulders slumped. He covered his mouth to hide a yawn. “I’m going to take a nap.”

“I think that’s a good idea, Sir,” Carpenter agreed solemnly. “You’ve been under a terrible strain the past two days.”

“You wouldn’t believe it, Carpenter.” Binghamton stood slowly, allowing Carpenter to help him to his feet.

“And we wouldn’t want you to catch cold from jumping in the water.” Carpenter kept a hand on Binghamton’s elbow. “I don’t blame you one bit. The Admiral has no right to expect you to perform the same acrobatics for him that you did for the Japanese. I might have tried to swim for it, too.”

Binghamton’s eyes got wide. He jerked his arm from Carpenter’s grasp. “You’ve been talking to McHale!”

“No, Sir,” Carpenter stammered.

“Out! Out! Out!”

“Sorry, Sir.” Carpenter jumped and ran out.

Binghamton wrapped the blanket tight around his shoulders. He looked up. “He may have nerves of steel but he’s still a ninny.”

Series this work belongs to: