Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
366
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,008

Freedom

Summary:

answer to freedom challenge over at Aphrodite's Blessings -- Freedom is an abstract concept.

Fandom: Cars 2     Pairing: Finn McMissile/Leland Turbo

Work Text:

Finn McMissile didn’t know why he was thinking about it. Maybe it was because the case was over. Maybe it was because his mind was tired and the only distraction was the droning of Sid’s engines.

Freedom. It was an abstract concept to him. It was an ideal, not a reality.

He’d always been constrained by duty to Queen and Country. He’d logged a lot of miles, fought many battles, and it was always for a cause greater than himself. He was the best at what he did and everyone knew it. However, that meant that his life wasn’t his own.

He fought for freedom, yet he really didn’t know what it was. It was as elusive as what others called happiness. He may have experienced snatches of contentment or pleasure but those moments were rare and disappeared like wisps of smoke.

He wouldn’t change a thing even if he knew how. He’d keep logging the miles. He’d keep fighting until all his parts wore down and all his replacement parts wore down. He’d keep going until something made him stop.

Still, there was a small part, deep inside, that longed for those stolen weekends with Leland. He’d never forget that horrible moment when time seemed to stand still, when he saw that crushed cube. It was all that was left of his partner and best friend: Leland Turbo.

He remembered Leland coming to him covered with mud, with an engine idling in excitement. He laughed. “The rookies didn’t see you coming, did they?”

Leland came up close and revved his engine. He flashed his headlights suggestively. “I may have a few miles on me but the day I can’t get the best of a bunch of green recruits is the day I’ll be ready for the scrap heap.”

“Sir.”

Finn started out of his thoughts to find Holley Shiftwell watching him. “Agent Shiftwell.”

“You all right?” she asked tentatively.

“Fine.”

She averted her eyes. “May I ask you a personal question?”

He regarded curiously. “Very well.”

“Do you really believe that we can’t have strong personal relationships because of our work?”

He sighed. “Our work, our duty, makes it difficult.” He paused and chuckled. “However, I do believe that you and our American friend might just overcome the odds.”