Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 10 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
572
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,151

After Hanley Waters

Summary:

small fic that takes place after the ep "Hanley Waters"

Work Text:

Derek jumped off the couch when Aaron finally dismissed him. He gave Aaron a curt nod and stalked out. He took the few steps to knock on the open door to Dave’s office.

Dave sat behind his desk with a half full glass of scotch sitting within easy reach. He glanced up from a file. He took in Derek’s tense body language and tilted his head in invitation.

Derek came in and closed the door behind him. He locked it and then shut the blinds. Then he went around to Dave’s side of the desk, perched on the edge next to Dave, and folded his arms across his chest.

Dave closed the file. He sat back in his seat and looked up at Derek. “I kept reading the same paragraph over and over anyway.”

Derek grunted in response. He stared at the wall.

“Do I want to know what happened with Aaron?” Dave asked lightly. “You know that it could’ve been worse. It could’ve been Strauss.”

Derek hugged his arms tighter around himself. His voice was low and tight. “He asked me how I feel about Emily and I told him. I’m fucking angry and I wish to God that I would’ve gotten there in time.”

Dave frowned. “We all did what we could.”

Derek bowed his head. “And it wasn’t enough.”

Dave put a hand on Derek’s knee. “I know. We all feel guilty. It hurts and it sucks and it will for some time.”

Derek sniffed and then scowled. “She was my friend. She was as close to me as my sisters and I didn’t save her.”

Dave squeezed. He didn’t raise his voice but the quiet tone didn’t diminish the intensity. “Doyle’s the one to blame, not any of us.”

Derek shook his head. “I know,” he growled, but dropped his arms. He grabbed Dave’s hand. “I know it but I don’t feel it.”

“Sometimes, I don’t either,” Dave answered with a heavy sigh.

“If I ever find Doyle, I’ll kill him,” Derek whispered vehemently.

“And I’ll help you hide the body,” Dave said dryly.

Derek didn’t release Dave’s hand. He half turned and grabbed the glass of scotch with his free hand. He swiftly gulped it.

Dave smirked. “You know, that is the good stuff. It’s meant to be savored.”

Derek finally looked at Dave. He pressed his lips together but a small smile slipped through. “Sorry.”

“And I thought I taught you better.”

“I’ll do better next time, Professor.”

Dave took the glass from Derek and set it on the desk. He refilled it. He held it up. “To Emily,” he whispered solemnly, drank half of it, and handed it to Derek.

Derek nodded and finished it slowly instead of throwing it back like a shot. “To Emily.”

Dave held Derek’s gaze. “I told Aaron that this is hard for me because I feel more married to the team than any of my wives.”

Derek’s smile was subdued but genuine. “I love you too Dave.” He set the glass to the side and straightened up. He pulled Dave to his feet.

Dave gave Derek a soft kiss. He gently cupped Derek’s cheek. He brushed his thumb along Derek’s cheekbone. “We’re gonna be okay.”

Derek rested his forehead against Dave’s. He nipped at Dave’s bottom lip. “When you say it, I believe it.” He started pulling Dave towards the door. “Now, let’s get the hell out of here.”

Series this work belongs to: