Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Time Enough
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2011-07-23
Words:
13,784
Chapters:
15/15
Kudos:
47
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
4,079

Is There a Psychic in the House?

Summary:

Not long after "Yang 3 in 2D" Shawn is relaxing outside the office when he strikes up a conversation with a pretty young redhead. Then he gets called on a bizarre murder case that just might have to do with aliens.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

This follows after "It's a Gift" and "A Psychic Detective's Investigation in Wales" but you don't really need to know much from those aside from the fact that Shawn knows of the Doctor's existence.

Chapter Text

Shawn sat on the folding beach chair in front of the office basking in the sun, pineapple smoothie on one side and a bowl of Skittles on the other. Things were slow and he was thankful for that as he was still coming to terms with the whole Yin/Yang thing. Yeah, they stopped a notorious serial killer—again—but it opened up a number of questions. The fact that he had met Yang as a kid made him wonder how many other people he had had contact with formed an “unhealthy attachment” to him.
 
He opened his eyes as a shadow fell across him. Standing over him was a young woman with long red hair. “Hello, can I help you?” Shawn motioned to the other chair set out for Gus.
 
She smiled. “I know I’m in California when offices have beach chairs outside.” She sat and tucked her legs to the side due to her short skirt.
 
Shawn tried not to stare. He reached for the Skittles and offered her some. She took a handful of the candies and popped them into her mouth. Shawn used the opportunity to observe her and try to place the accent. It was British, he knew that much, but it wasn’t Welsh or from London. She did sound a bit like an extra from Braveheart. “What brings you all the way from Scotland?”
 
“The accent gave me away, didn’t it?”
 
Shawn merely shrugged and pointed to the window behind him as he sipped his smoothie.
 
“That’s you? You’re a psychic?”
 
He held out his hand. “Shawn Spencer.”
 
“Amy Pond.” She shook his hand. “So what exactly does a psychic detective do?”
 
“I solve crimes through visions and divining. I’ve got a very high solve rate. Batting 1000.”
 
Amy stared at him, waiting for an explanation.
 
“Don’t get the baseball jargon, hunh? Perfect record. I did have one get away but I finally got him. You never said what brought you here, Amy.”
 
“No, I didn’t. Can’t you ‘divine’ it?” she asked with a smile.
 
“Can’t use it all the time, gotta save it for a case. Besides, I’d like to hear it from you.” He grinned.
 
“I’m travelling with a friend, but he’s into science, you know. Real geeky stuff, so he went off to look at some exhibit or other. I was not about to spend my first day in California inside.”
 
“Yeah, I feel sorry for people who have to be inside all day. Your friend gonna meet you here?”
 
“That was the plan, but he gets sidetracked so easily.”
 
Shawn heard a bell ring. “Hey, you want ice cream? My treat.”
 
“I hardly know you.”
 
“Ah, but you’ve already accepted candy from a stranger.” He stood and held out his hand to help her up.
 
“Can’t argue that logic.” She smiled and took his hand.
 
“Great! Let me put these inside. Gus will never let me hear the end of it if they get swiped.” He folded the chairs, opened the door to the office and slipped them inside.
 
“Gus?”
 
“My best friend.” He closed the door. “C’mon.” He headed down the stairs toward the pier. She laughed and followed.
 
Just as they reached the ice cream guy, Shawn’s phone rang. “Hello. Yeah, Chief. I can be there in ten minutes.” He ended the call.
 
Amy was looking at him. “Business?”
 
“Yeah. It seems I’ve got a case.”
 
“Oh.”
 
Shawn knew he was going to get grief for this, but he couldn’t help it. “You wanna come along?”
 
Amy’s face lit up. “Really? Are you sure it’s okay?”
 
“I’ll come up with something.”
 
They headed back to the office and Amy followed him inside. He grabbed his keys off the desk and picked up his helmet—his only helmet. Shawn gave it to Amy. “You’re gonna need it more than me.” He looked her over then went across the office to the lockers. He opened one and pulled out a clean pair of sweatpants. “I think you’ll be more comfortable with these.”
 
Amy set the helmet on his desk before taking the pants from him and slipping them on under her skirt. “Thanks. Now I won’t have to worry about giving everyone a show.” She reached for the helmet but picked up a rubber band instead and used it to tie her hair back. She then picked up the helmet. “Ready.”
 
“Okay then.” Shawn grabbed his jacket and they were out the door—which he remembered to lock.
 
He climbed onto the Norton and Amy straddled it behind him, arms wrapped around his waist. “Let’s ride!” she shouted and he put the bike into gear and they hit the streets on their way to the address the Chief gave him.