Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2012-04-04
Words:
5,861
Chapters:
13/13
Kudos:
35
Hits:
3,728

RANTS AND MUSINGS OF A SERIOUS SORT

Summary:

Just some things that have bugged me and everyone in general.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1: Educational Rant

Chapter Text

I am very much what is left of the middle class.  I make a little too much income but in reality I make just enough to keep our head above water safely.  Because of that middle road, I can't afford college for my kids.

Yes I know we should have saved but we had no thought about kids until we were nearly at the end of our twenties and were already in heavy debt by our first child.  Just raising her was expensive enough without thinking about setting up a college fund. By the time two and three arrived, it was flat out of the question.

Bush's mandate, "No Child Left Behind" was a ridiculous farce.  Sure they are left behind!!!! Here's your diploma, now you're on your own! What a joke!

My oldest daughter is bright and wants to be a psychologist but can't get funding for school.  She's attempted using loans from family but not many of us have any money to lend and what she was able to get wasn't enough to get her past one semester.  She had made good grades but what good does that do her if she can't continue attending.  It's frustrating and we're angry.

A mind is being wasted because of no money.   Other countries see the value of higher education and fund it but not us.  We throw away our talent as soon as it walks out the high school doors.  Not a pretty picture about our country is it?

We even rip the kids off that do make it to school by charging ridiculous fees for books......costing more than the course they are taking at times.

At the rate we're going we'll never catch up to the other countries who pour their money into their future........their children!  How long are we going to trail behind the rest of the world?

I may be all wet on this subject but from my small corner of the world this is how I'm seeing and experiencing it!