Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,202
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,271

Reactions

Summary:

Spock had been keeping an eye on the Captain ever since the last away mission when Jim had been sprayed by some kind of native pollen.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:


Reactions
by nancy

Spock had been keeping an eye on the Captain ever since the last away mission when Jim had been sprayed by some kind of native pollen. Typically, an allergic reaction had occurred and McCoy had been forced to come up with a creative solution to save the Captain's life. That had only been two days ago and already Jim was on his feet and complaining about not being back on active duty.

"Forget it, Jim," McCoy insisted. "You're still not back to par yet. Your respiratory system needs time to heal, at least another forty-eight hours. I'm not letting you out of my sight until then at the earliest."

Jim scowled and demanded, "Who's the Captain, here?"

Immune to the glare, McCoy replied, "I am. Now shut up and get back on the biobed before I sedate you."

Jim's gaze shifted to where Spock stood just inside the infirmary. "Hey, Spock. Didn't see you. Would you tell Bones he's just being overprotective? I'm fine."

Spock walked the rest of the way to the bed that the Captain had vacated and where McCoy stood barring Jim's way from going anywhere else. "In this instance, Dr. McCoy and I are in agreement, Captain. You are not yet physically fit for duty and must remain under care."

Jim's eyebrows lifted askance and then lowered suspiciously before he jabbed a finger at McCoy. "You got to him."

"No one `got to' me," Spock countered firmly. "If you do not wish to remain here in medical, then I will accompany you to your quarters where you can rest in your own bed."

Both men turned incredulously expressions of varying degrees on him, but Jim spoke first with, "Did you just say you were going to watch me to make sure I remained in my own bed?"

Stiffly, Spock replied, "If the infirmary does not agree with you, then yes. As we cannot trust you not to work when allowed out of visual range of a qualified observer, one must remain with you even there. I…volunteer for the duty."

McCoy looked like he was trying not to laugh as he said cheerfully, "There you go, Jim, those are your options. You can stay here with me or go to your own quarters with Spock. Pick your poison."

Jim's scowl returned and he said to McCoy, "I officially don't like you anymore. C'mon, Spock."

Spock could hardly believe that he'd made such an ultimatum. That the Captain had acquiesced astonished him even more. He allowed neither emotion more than a toehold within, however, and certainly didn't show either. He nodded at McCoy and then followed Jim out of the infirmary.

Jim walked slowly, his color high and his breathing hoarse to Spock's sensitive ears. The impervious façade he presented to the crewmembers they passed grated on Spock in a way it should not have done. If Jim wished to put on an act that he was fine, Spock had no reason, nor right, to gainsay him.

It took double the usual time to reach the Captain's quarters, nearly triple, and Jim was moving even slower by the time they stepped inside. Once the doors closed behind Spock, Jim stumbled and would have fallen had Spock not caught him in time. Without thinking, he scooped the human into his arms and carried him to the bed, gently setting him atop the blankets.

Spock could hardly take his eyes from the pale face, his fingers unerringly pressing against the pulse point in Jim's throat to find it too fast. "You did too much, too soon."

Jim coughed, a wet, racking sound that set forth every protective instinct Spock had inherited from his mother's people. When he could speak again, he rasped, "Maybe a little, but don't…tell Bones. Just need…to rest."

Spock left his fingers on the pulse point and, because it slowly strengthened, said, "I will monitor you closely, Jim. If there are any problems I will contact Dr. McCoy."

"Understood," Jim whispered, eyes closing. "And sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."

Spock paused, wondering if indeed he'd experienced fear just then. He decided that it hadn't, quite, gone that far. He'd been far more afraid, if that was the correct term, when they'd split up on Nero's ship with only a four point three chance of success. Spock finally said, "Concerned for your health would be more accurate."

Jim smiled, keeping his eyes closed as he yawned and then whispered, "Sure. That's why you're petting my hair. You're concerned."

Spock was appalled to realize that that was exactly what he'd been doing and entirely without conscious volition. He pulled his hand from Jim's damp hair immediately and said, "Captain, I apologize. I can get someone else to…"

Jim's eyes opened at that and he reached out to grip Spock's shoulder, stopping the words with a squeeze. He offered a tired smile and said, "You have my permission to do whatever you like with me, Spock. We are way beyond Captain and First. Well, I am anyhow. Gonna sleep now. Wanna be my hot water bottle?"

The last few words were mumbled and Jim's breathing evened-out into that of sleep.

Spock remained motionless for a few minutes as he analyzed those words. It was true that, even by Vulcan standards, he and Jim had become quite close. He just hadn't thought of his…feelings…for the younger man in that light before. It was somewhat irritating, or would be if he allowed himself such an emotion, that yet again Jim had arrived at the right conclusion without a shred of evidence or logic.

That didn't stop him from saying, "Computer. Personal lock on the Captain's door, code Signa Signa Alpha Gamma."

"Code accepted," the female voice confirmed.

Spock took off Jim's shoes and loosened his shirt before carefully lifting and then settling him beneath the blankets. Secure in the knowledge that no one would be able to intrude without plenty of warning, Spock removed his own shoes and joined Jim in the bed. He awkwardly slid his arm under Jim's head and froze when the other turned to curl against his chest. Spock hesitantly put his other arm around Jim's waist and pushed a leg between Jim's.

Jim let out a huff of air and…snuggled…closer. There was no other word to describe the action and really, Spock shouldn't have been surprised. He knew how tactile the other man was; of course he would seek out comfort while ill.

Allowing himself the briefest moment of pleasure, Spock pressed his lips to the damp skin at the juncture of jaw and ear. He breathed in the slightly sour scent, took in the scent of the other man at his most vulnerable and felt those protective urges rise alarmingly. It took a few minutes to repress the need to disentangle himself so he could answer the call to stand in front of the door and keep physical watch. They were safe on the Enterprise and locked in Jim's quarters. No one would get in without his knowledge.

Spock did, however, shift them so that he could keep an eye on the door. Just in case.

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Nancy.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.