Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2010-11-14
Words:
10,062
Chapters:
8/8
Kudos:
19
Hits:
3,520

Intentions

Summary:

Jarrod's new client is a young widow accused of murdering her much older husband.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

I in no way own The Big Valley, the characters or situations from the show. I make no money from writing this, just the personal satisfaction of (hopefully!) entertaining those who love the show as much as I do.

Chapter Text

Jarrod Barkley sighed and leaned back in his chair. One more client, a little paperwork, then he'd be done for the day. He'd been in San Francisco for a while and looked forward to catching the train back to Stockton in a couple days. He enjoyed the city but missed his family and life on the ranch and considered himself lucky to able to live in both worlds.

 

 

Jarrod looked down at the papers in front of him. Jock Collins had been a friend of his father's and a client of the attorney's for years. Jock asked Jarrod to draw up a new will after his recent remarriage, only to die a couple weeks later. Jarrod could only hope he was half as vigorous and healthy at 66 as Jock and if it hadn't been for that riding accident, he guessed Jock would have lived well past the century mark. Jarrod had never met Eleanor, Jock's new wife, but heard she was a great deal younger than the old man. A gold digger, some called her. Well, if the young widow was expecting to inherit the whole fortune, she was going to be disappointed. With no children, Jock left a substantial amount to his nephew and for the support of his new wife, but not near what the estate was worth. Most of his vast fortune went to various charities and philanthropic organizations and Jarrod had been named executor.

 

 

There was a soft tap on the door and his secretary poked her head in. "Mr. Barkley, Mrs. Collins is here to see you."

 

 

"Send her in, Anna." Jarrod got to his feet and moved out from behind the desk. Anna ushered in a young woman, possibly mid-twenties, dressed in black. Jarrod found her appearance striking, and the air of sadness about her just made her beauty more poignant. If Jarrod was any judge of people, the young widow appeared genuinely saddened by the death of her husband.

 

 

Jarrod walked up to her and took her hand in both of his. "I'm so sorry for your loss, Mrs. Collins."

 

 

She smiled, a sweet, sad smile that went straight to Jarrod's heart. "Thank you, Mr. Barkley," she replied quietly. "My husband spoke very highly of you. I wish we could've met in happier circumstances."

 

 

Jarrod escorted her over to one of the chairs in front of his desk and leaned back on the desk in front of her. "You know your husband appointed me his executor," Jarrod began. At her nod, he continued. "Most of his estate was left to charity, and some to his nephew, but he made sure you were well-provided for." Jarrod picked up the will from his desk and began reading. " ‘To my darling wife, Eleanor, I leave the sum of $100, 000, our townhouse in San Francisco and the wish that my beloved Ella find happiness for the rest of her days'."

 

 

Ella brought a hand to her mouth and Jarrod detected a glint of tears in her eyes. "I don't believe it," she said almost inaudibly. "I told him I didn't want anything." The threatened tear escaped and rolled down her cheek. Jarrod handed her a handkerchief.

 

 

"Thank you," she said gratefully and gently wiped her eyes before handing it back. Jarrod was conscious of the warm sensation when their hands touched. He was experiencing a strong attraction to Ella Collins, one that was extremely inappropriate given the circumstances. He quickly got up and moved around his desk, gathering some papers and laying them down in front of her.

 

 

"I'll just need you to sign these," he told her, trying to keep his mind on business as he handed her a pen.

 

 

"Of course." Ella signed the appropriate spots, then rose to her feet.

 

 

"I shouldn't take up any more of your time, Mr. Barkley," she said. "Thank you for everything."

 

 

"No trouble at all," Jarrod assured her as he escorted her to the door. "And please don't hesitate to contact me if there's anything you need."

 

 

Ella bestowed him with another sad, heartbreaking smile. "Thank you," she said again as she left.

 

 

Jarrod closed the door behind her and let out a deep breath hoping to clear the image of Ella Collins out of his mind before returning to work.