Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
206
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
1,267

PAIN!

Summary:

A bit of musing about surviving pain.  Short ficlet.

Work Text:

Pain!  Most of us in our older age live with some form of pain in our bodies.  But when surgery on a toe was done, I got a new lesson on cause and effect.

Learning to walk again after recovery from surgery should have been straight forward but since I never walked properly in the first place, my ungainly gait caused my knees to complain.   The loudest most painful complainer was my right knee.

Physical therapy brought no relief and now a visit to the orthopedic surgeon is indicated.  Adding to my woes and discomfort is a pulled back muscle.

My attempts at sleep are a game of which side hurts the least so I can find the most comfortable position to allow my poor aching body some kind of rest.  None is adequate as my drooping eyes and tired mien reveal each morning.

I keep my flagging spirits up and remind myself that my present condition is temporary and that I will soon enough be back to the level of pain I've lived with for years and the exercise programs I've been hoping to get into will be within my grasp once more.

Until then, I mark time, grit my teeth and wait for relief to come.