Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
247
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
972

SHE'S GONE!

Summary:

A beloved pet's last moment at home. A eulogy.

Work Text:

She let me know she was leaving when she went walking around our home.  She went places she had never visited.  Her favorite spot was on top of the couch cushion,  letting the sun shine on her.

But in the last couple of days, she wandered.  She visited each family member and stayed awhile before wandering off again.  She even slept a few minutes on my part of the bed, something she'd never done before.

Was this her way of saying goodbye?  I'd like to think so.  On the day I took her to the vet, she wanted desperately to go outside in the yard.  I couldn't bear to refuse so I took her to the backyard while I cleaned the windshield of my car inside and out.

She went over nearly every inch of the small yard as if etching it in her mind.

Now it's Monday.  She spent Friday and the weekend in the hospital but nothing they did could stop the ravages of whatever had invaded her tired body.  This morning the vet looked in on her and found her barely responsive.  What struck him most was how good she'd been through all the tests and IVs and still, in her last moments she purred.

I spoke to her one last time and wished her well as I gave her what she had wanted and was trying to tell me just days ago.

Sapphire, we'll miss you.  Good bye my longtime friend.