Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2010-10-04
Words:
9,006
Chapters:
3/3
Comments:
2
Kudos:
30
Bookmarks:
5
Hits:
3,536

A STRANGER IN THE WOODS

Summary:

Harry went into the Forbidden Woods to get away from his troubles for a few minutes but as is always the case for poor Harry, trouble always find him. Harry Potter and Wolverine Crossover.

Edit Jun 2012:  Chapters 1-3 have been completely rewritten.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1: A Stranger Arrives

Notes:

Another story to try and break out of my box and attempt other fics. This is Harry Potter/Wolverine (X-Men) crossover. It won't be too long and nothing will be very canon here in Potter's world so don't flame if some of the facts don't match the movies or books. This Wolverine is from the original comics X-Man: The New Mutants. I don't much care for the new one portrayed now. This will definitely not be canon, neither for Potter nor Wolverine. I hope I can pull if off. Enjoy!

Chapter Text

Harry was so angry he barely noticed where he was going as he race recklessly up the stone steps of the dungeon for the main floor. But he hadn't forsaken caution as he paused at the top to look around first. Spotting no one, he crossed the huge foyer and slipped out the main doors, shutting it behind him.

In the cooling night air of early April, he stalked across the grounds then down the hill leading to Hagrid's small hut using his wand as a flashlight. No smoke drifted into the night air which told him the half-giant was not at home. But that was alright. He wasn't interested in company.

He stormed past the empty pumpkin patch, past the animal pens and on into the forest without pausing. Though it was evening, Harry wasn't suicidal by any means no matter how much Snape thought him empty headed and reckless.

His lip curled at the thought of the cruel and vindictive potion's master. No, I wont think about it yet until I'm there, he told himself firmly pushing his anger back and keeping an eye out for danger and his footing.

Life had never been easy for Harry Potter. His parents were killed when he was one, turned over to cruel relatives to be raised (and abused) until age 11, then defending himself from attacks at the school he hoped would be a safe haven for him.

Adversity had hardened Harry forcing him to learn how to defend himself far more quickly then his peers if he wanted to stay alive. Though he still had two more years of schooling left, he was already a decent warrior at this young age so he wasn't afraid of entering the forest and felt reasonably certain he could protect himself.

So seeking sanctuary there wasn't as suicidal as his peers might think. Especially, since he didn't intend to go very far within. There was a spot he had discovered, around his second year, where he could be alone to think but was within shouting distance of the castle and Hagrid, who was known to be wandering the grounds at all hours, watching for those unwary enough to be places they shouldn't be.

His wand showed the path he normally took allowing him to, unerringly, find his hideaway, a small clearing guarded by a giant oak and a circle of mid-sized thorny bushes. His thick robe kept him from getting stuck by the thorns as he pushed his way into the moss covered space. Casting a notice-me-not charm, he went and sat on a large, flattish rock that leaned next to the tree.

Laying his wand in his lap, he pulled his legs up and crossed them then put his head down on his palms with his elbows resting on his knees. From his hidden position he could easily see the lights of the castle. Now alone, he could try and calm himself.

This session had been the worst by far and thankfully, was the last as Snape had snarled furiously at him to never return as he was through trying to teach Occlumency to Harry.

As he rubbed his still aching head, his mind replayed the damning joined vision he'd unintentionally shared with the hateful man. It had been a shocking scene that had irrevocably shaken the world view Harry had firmly held since he'd come to Hogwarts.

His mind still reeled from the images of his father tormenting the thin, not terribly handsome Snape when they'd both been around Harry's current age. Harry had been told repeatedly how great his father was; how handsome, intelligent, and daring he was but those tales didn't match the smirking person bullying another student with evident pleasure. James Potter had used his wand to upend Snape until the poor teen was upside down, underwear showing, robes hiding his face from view. It was humiliating.

Harry choked. How could his father do such a thing? It made him sick inside and reminded him of the times his horrible cousin, Dudley, and his little gang of thugs would torment a very young Harry in much the same way though magic wasn't involved. He felt betrayed!

And dismayed. That meant he and Snape had something in common. He shook his head violently. Didn't matter! Snape might have suffered at the hands of James Potter but that didn't give him the right to humiliate and punish Harry ... he was not his father.

Harry was hardily tired of people using him as a convenient target for their misplaced anger and hate - his aunt for her sister being a witch and Snape for being bullied by Harry's father.

o*O*o

While Harry stewed about his personal problems, in another part of the forest a stranger appeared by no choice of his own, arriving in mid air and landing on his chest to the hard forest floor with a grunt of pain. His body already ached from the injuries he'd suffered in the battle he'd been fighting but those were already healing rapidly.

The aggressor he and his team mates were fighting had somehow managed to open a dimensional portal that he had been unfortunate enough to go flying into it when he attempted to tackle their enemy.

After a stomach churning, dizzying trip, he arrived here, wherever here was. Recovering swiftly the short, powerfully built man rolled to his feet and went to a crouch, ignoring how sore he was as he listened and tested the air for danger. His eyes could see easily in the dark but nothing came into view however his nose did detect the spour of deer, rabbit, badger, and other familiar forest dwellers. However, there were also scents of things he couldn't identify at all and that made him tense and uneasy.

Movement caught his eyes just before something as big as a dog but with many legs suddenly exploded from the trees to his left. It was a big hairy spider!

Shocked and disgusted, the man instantly ejected his unique weapons from his hands and stabbed the thing before those really nasty looking fangs could sink into him. It screamed in agony and scuttled away as fast as it could leaving a trail of disgusting ichor in its wake. It's cries stirred up other things he definitely didn't want to meet.

Catching the scent of a large cluster of humans somewhere not far away, he headed in that direction at a fast, ground eating lope, his weapons still extended at the ready. The odd uniform he wore was bright yellow so he stood out like a neon sign which made it all the more important he get out of this place quickly.

o*O*o

A squeal of pain and anger caused Harry's head to jerk up, wand at the ready as he searched frantically for the cause of the appalling noise. His heart pounding in his chest, he stood up on the rock to see if he could catch sight of the threat but there was nothing. However, noises from other disturbed denizens of the forest made him decide going back to the safety of the castle was indicated. Jumping down, he pushed his way through the bushes and headed at a run back the way he'd come.

Almost reaching the border between the fields and the woods, another loud sound that was way too familiar, came pounding up behind Harry. Not wishing to be trampled nor be chased down if they thought him a threat, Harry wisely leaped out of the path of the oncoming sound and turned around with wand out, remembering at the last moment to cancel the notice-me-not spell.

A wall of centaurs racing toward him greeted his astonished eyes. What had he done to upset them? But then he realized it wasn't he they were after.

Running swiftly ahead of the charging herd was a man...wait...what was he wearing and what on earth was that on his hands?

Harry was bewildered by what he saw but had no time to process it as the stranger reached his side then turned to face the approaching centaurs, still brandishing those strange knives protruding from his hands.

Having only seconds to make a decision, Harry decided to protect the stranger until he could find out what the heck was going on. To halt the headlong charge, he raised his wand and shouted, "Expecto Patronum!"

His stag Patroness leaped out and charged the lead centaur startling him enough to make him rear to a sudden stop. He danced on his rear hooves a moment before thudding to the ground, staring at Harry with a mixture of anger and surprise.

The rest of the herd had been forced to halt rather awkwardly on hind quarters to avoid plowing into their leader. Angry and upset, they stamped at the ground or cantered in circles while they waited to see what their leader would do now.

Before anyone could speak, Harry quickly shouted a question, "Please what have we done wrong to make you this upset?" He knew, because of the war, centaurs were understandably pissed off at wizarding kind for disrupting their lives but he knew they weren't angry at him personally, having helped him in the past.

Harry's Patroness dissipated, now that the danger and his focus was gone, and, while the lead centaur glowered at Harry, the stranger continued holding his ground, weapons at the ready, while he waited to see what would happen now.

Eyeing the stranger only a moment then ignoring the threat he might represent, the leader turned to Harry. "You do not belong here at this time of night, Harry Potter!"

Looking properly contrite, Harry bowed his head. "I'm sorry, sir, ... I just needed time alone to think...I meant no disrespect... and was taking due care."

One of the centaurs paced up to stand by the leader. His expression severe and unhappy. "There are safer places for that within the castle, Harry Potter," he scolded. "Well, we understand the weight the prophecy holds over your fate, however, if you are killed by being careless of your safety, you will not be able to discharge your duty."

Harry's face burned with anger at being treated like a child but had the sense to not show it. Putting away his wand he looked up into the centaur's face. "I'm aware of my responsibilities, Firenze and I apologize for disturbing your evening. May we go now?"

"You may, Harry Potter but not this one. He must tell us who he is and what he is doing in our forest," the leader spoke instead, poking his spear toward the stranger in question. To his credit, the odd man didn't retaliate or show anger.

In a calm voice that was a bit gravely, he said, "My apologies, sir. Coming here was not my idea. . I was fighting an enemy of mankind on my own home turf when one of them sent me through some kind of portal, landing me in your forest. I have no idea where I am nor who you are."

The leader eyed the stranger for a long moment then paced closer, halting just inches from the stranger's odd weapons. He sniffed the air then cocked his head, puzzlement on his hairy face. "Your scent says you are not human but definitely not a wizard or other magical creature, but what you are is a puzzle. However, I also do not scent deceit. You speak truly. What are you stranger?"

Relaxing minutely, the man responded, "I am what is called a mutant. Human but not due to being born different. Hunted by humans that fear us but despite that we protect humans from the less civilized of our kind."

The leader frowned, turned to give the one called Firenze a questioning look.

"I have heard rumors of such creatures but have never encountered one Magorian, however, I did hear they war against one another as he has said and muggles do fear them," Firenze replied, giving the stranger a penetrating stare.

Shrugging, the leader sighed and thought a moment. "We have no quarrel with you stranger and are not interested in others quarrels. We give you leave to depart with the understanding you will never enter our woods again, understood?"

"Yes, sir, and thank you," the stranger said, politely, bowing his head.

Still puzzled, the leader turned away from the pair and shouted something in a sharp, staccato language that sent the whole herd wheeling about to race back into the woods.

However, Firenze didn't leave immediately, pausing a moment to give the stranger a considering look, which the man returned unblinking. Shaking his head, he turned to look at Harry giving him a look of warning before turning about himself and making off after the herd, soon vanishing as if they'd never been. Even the sound of their hooves ceased as if swallowed up by the forest itself.

The stranger frowned, disturbed by how quickly the odd herd of horse-men had disappeared, but let it go. However, he didn't retract his weapons as the place still stank of danger. He started to turn to the kid at his side when the light evening wind sent the odor of something or someone standing very near, watching them.

Apparently, the figure had guessed he'd been detected so stepped closer. The moonlight filtering between the trees showed a huge person who easily dwarfed the stranger and Harry. The man-like being stood ten feet tall, had extremely broad shoulders and was massively built. He had a wild thatch of hair and bushy beard that all but hid his face where dark eyes studied them. His clothing was very rustic, suiting the dark ages rather than modern times.

"Harry! What are you doing out here and who's your friend?" The huge man boomed, his tone mild and friendly despite its volume.

"Hagrid! Uh...well...I just needed some time alone. It's been a really rotten evening, then this fellow came along chased by the centaurs. He convinced them he wasn't a threat and I was just going to take him to the castle since he seems to be lost," Harry explained, quickly.

"Ahh...I wondered what had stirred them up. I also heard one of Aragog's young screaming, know what that was about?"

"Was that what that awful noise was? I heard it too but didn't know what had happened," Harry started to say when the stranger interrupted.

"Sorry but if it was some kind of big spider you're talking about, I had to stab it to keep it from taking a piece of my face," he admitted.

"Ahh...I see. Yes, they can be aggressive when they're hungry," Hagrid nodded. Loud noises intruded on their conversation. Hagrid's expression became grave and concerned. "I think we best leave here now as the forest creatures are a wee bit upset right now." With that he turned and began lumbering off.

Harry didn't hesitate to follow. Looking around himself cautiously, the man decided following these strangers was a better idea then trying to find his way out by himself especially with magic involved.

The three traveled in silence for several minutes until they came to a rustic stone hut. The stranger looked around and saw a huge field rising upward toward a ...castle? Where the heck was he?

"Please enter my humble home," Hagrid suddenly spoke, eyeing the stranger.

The stranger looked around, took a sniff of the air but detected no threat from the man and the boy had already disappeared within. Coming to a decision, he nodded and slipped past the big man and into the small home.

o*O*o

Hagrid entered then closed the door behind him. He went to the fireplace and put some wood on, poking it for a few moments until it was lit by the coals and was soon burning brightly providing warmth from the chill outside. He moved easily in his space, setting lanterns alight so they could see better.

Turning around he stared at his unusual guest. Harry was sitting at the table and staring at the stranger too.

The person was worth the look. He wore some kind of bright yellow costume that fit him tightly, showing he was very muscular and powerfully built despite the fact he was rather short in stature, only a little taller than Harry. A mask that was part of the costume, covered his face and came to points at the top of his head. He had hard eyes of brown and his scent wasn't that of a muggle nor a wizard. And those strange knives that came out of the back of his hands which were now gone as if they'd never been...very strange. What manner of creature was this?

Whatever he was, this was clearly out of Hagrid's comfort zone and needed to be dealt with by Dumbledore immediately. The man made him feel a bit uneasy but he didn't sense a threat from him. Coming to a decision, Hagrid said, "I think we should take you to the castle yonder. The headmaster must be the one to speak with ya and decide if he can aid you. You certainly can't be left wandering around the castle grounds without permission."

"That's fine but can you tell me where I am?" The stranger asked, still standing not far from the door.

"You be at Hogwarts."

The stranger looked blank. "And where would that be located?"

"Scotland, sir...if that helps and where did those knives on your hands go?" Harry asked, just noticing they were gone.

"Scotland?" The stranger apparently knew where that was and wasn't happy about it and he didn't answer Harry's question.

Frowning, Harry realized the man didn't want to talk about himself so asked instead, "Where are you from, sir and what's your name?"

"New York in the United States and I'm called Wolverine."

"You're from America?" Harry stuttered in shock. "That must have been some portal!"

"You could say that."

"That's a strange name you have and, pardon me for asking, but you don't act shaken by your trip through a portal of unknown origin nor by seeing magic," Harry observed, a questioning look in his eyes.

The stranger rolled his eyes and sighed. "You might say I've seen and experienced a great many weird things in my life."

"Really? But you're not a wizard or magical being..." Harry began to say when Hagrid cut him off.

"Harry!" Shocked Harry had given away what they were to a stranger.

"Oh, it's okay, Hagrid. He's not a muggle either according to Magorian. He called himself a mutant," Harry explained to the half giant.

Hagrid froze and gave the stranger a penetrating stare. It seemed he was familiar with the term but wasn't happy with the knowledge, obviously.

Surprised by Hagrid's reaction, Harry asked, "You've heard of them before?"

Hagrid's eyes flicked to Harry then back to the stranger. "I have and that's all I'll say, Harry." He gave the boy a warning look to not ask any more question then turned his attention to the man. "Sir, we'd better go. The headmaster of Hogwarts, Professor Dumbledore, will definitely want to see you." Without saying more, Hagrid stepped to the door and opened it again.

Stepping out, it seemed he fully expected the two to follow since he began to walk off into the night. Even more confused and getting a little angry at the lack of answers to this mystery, Harry nonetheless followed Hagrid.

The stranger felt he'd gone down a rabbit hole somewhere. Wizards ... Magical creatures ... centaurs? And what the hell was a 'muggle'? He hated having more questions than answers so he hoped this Dumbledore character had some answers for him and could get him home again. He was worried about his team mates and whether they were alright.

Shaking his head, the man stepped out of the hut, closing the door behind him, then followed the pair up the hill to the well lit castle in the distance.